PDA

View Full Version : Re-Barrel or Re-Chamber

highvel
February 1, 2010, 10:37 PM
I have a .22/250 that is beginning to show some lead wear, and I have had to start increasing col to keep the accuracy consistent.
My question is which would be the best way to go rebarrel or get it rechambered?:confused:

This Rifle is a Ruger M77 Mark II Varmit with a heavy stainless steel barrel, I believe it is a custom barrel of unkown origin because it's only markings are .22-250. and the bore is very tight as far as .22's go.

Any suggestions will truly appreciated:)

mrawesome22
February 1, 2010, 10:39 PM
I'd just keep making my ammo longer until they were too long to hold a bullet in the case, then re-barrel.

kraigwy
February 1, 2010, 11:03 PM
Another Option:

I made my 300 win 1000 yard rifle with a 29 inch barrel. When the troat starts to go I take off the barrel stick in the lathe and cut off 1/8 - 1/4 and rechamber it. Adds more life to the barrel and cheaper.

DoctorXring
February 1, 2010, 11:12 PM

If it's an accurate barrel I would consider doing what is
called a "set back" on it after you completely shoot the
throat out on it and it will no longer give precision accuracy.

This is what target shooters do after the throat wears out.
If the contour on the barrel will allow it (a gunsmith can
tell you that), just have him cut the end of the barrel off,
turn the threads about a half inch, and then deepen the
chamber to freshen the throat. Good for another couple
of thousand rounds of excellent accuracy.

If the barrel contour will allow it, you can do this a couple
of times. After that, it will be time to re-barrel.

good shooting, dxr

M_E_
February 1, 2010, 11:25 PM
I don't think there is much you can do with a Ruger as I own one myself. I would have it bore scoped & checked by a competant gunsmith. If the lands & grooves are OK, I would cut it back 1/4 inch & rechamber & recrown. If the barrels shot out, get a Lijia or Schneider barrel. While your at it, you may as well add a McMillan stock & a Jewell trigger. That alone will help TONS.

Scorch
February 2, 2010, 04:17 AM
If it were me, I would just cut the threads off and rechamber. That way you get rid of all the damaged throat area instead of some of it.

highvel
February 2, 2010, 08:52 AM
Thanks,
Re-chamber it is.

Bart B.
February 2, 2010, 09:10 AM
I think folks should remember that when a barrel with an eroded throat is optically inspected, that erosion goes a ways up the bore. Sometimes an inch or more.

When the barrel's cut off an inch, put in a lathe then a reamer started into it, the reamer's pilot has to be a perfect fit to the bore when it starts cutting. The pilot (always a floating one for best results) should be only .0001" smaller than bore diameter for best results centering the throat and leade in the rifling.

What's the diameter of the front third of the eroded section? It's gonna be larger than the bore, but how much?

Which is why the barrel should be cut off enough to let the reamer pilot start into the bore that's virtually without erosion. At least an inch and some times two inches need be cut off the barrel's back end to accomplish this if best accuracy's the objective.

hagar
February 2, 2010, 09:14 AM
If it was a factory barrel I probably would just find a takeoff barrel and have that put on, but since you have a custom barrel I would have it rechambered.