PDA

View Full Version : M14 stock manufacturers

azredhawk44
January 31, 2010, 11:33 PM
I'm looking for a stock that is traditional for my M14 rifle.

I do not want a TROY/SAGE/JAE/etc space-stock.

My rifle currently has a springfield supermatch stock on it and has been bedded to it, and I don't like the fact that I cannot clean it after every firing without creating a bedding maintenance problem or decrease in accuracy.

I also LOVE the curve to the semi-pistol grip of the supermatch stock. I don't like the USGI style synthetic stock near as much.

I'd love to find a synthetic stock that has no need of bedding (every rifle can benefit from bedding, I understand, but I'm not looking for sniper accuracy, just field position battle rifle accuracy around ~3MOA with 150gr FMJ as I'm getting now from my M14).

I'd love to find a synthetic stock that has no need of bedding maintenance, that I can disassemble and clean my rifle, and put it together without losing bedding stability or resulting in a change of POI. And, that has the same semi-pistol grip design as the supermatch stock.

I do not want a full pistol grip design. I do not want a bunch of rails. I do not want a 6 pound rifle stock that makes my whole rifle weigh nearly 15 pounds.

I'd settle for a laminate stock, even, since those are more resilient than regular walnut... though I'd prefer fiberglass.

I have a USGI fiberglass stock, but I want the semi-pistol grip profile of the supermatch stock.

I've looked at:

McMillan's M3A (fiberglass, expensive @ $500 and unknown bedding maintenance)
Boyd's type 2 M1A (good price, laminate, but requires bedding and unknown hold-up)
Wenig Custom M14 (good price, laminate, :barf: on the comb though)
JAE/Troy/Sage/Vltor (way too expensive, don't want pistol grip, too heavy, don't like, etc)

What else is out there, folks?

How's a laminate stock hold up, once bedded, if you remove the action once a month (I shoot this rifle once a month) to clean and lube everything?

My current walnut supermatch ain't loving me.

Brenten
February 1, 2010, 11:13 AM
I have an original fiberglass stock with metal butt plate that I have no use for. It just sits. We can either trade or you can make me an offer if you wish.

SR420
February 1, 2010, 11:22 AM
Contact Tony @ LAW483.com

tINY
February 1, 2010, 02:25 PM
You don't like the JAE? It's about the closest to what you describe...

http://www.jallenenterprises.com/colors/Olive%20Drab%20with%20Swat%20Black%20Accessories.jpg

You won't get anywhere near as good a bedding system if you want to be able to take the action out often.

-tINY

azredhawk44
February 1, 2010, 02:28 PM
I've handled a JAE. Way too danged heavy.

Looking into SR420's rec with law483. Talked with Tony, he's going to set me up with something rather interesting. One of six prototypes he has. I should get to see it in about 2-3 weeks.

tINY
February 1, 2010, 02:38 PM
Keep us posted - I have a second M1A I may want to restock and scope...

-tINY

azredhawk44
June 21, 2010, 02:55 PM
Just a bump.

It's been several months working with Tony as he has modified and improved his prototype for me.

I just paid him today for my final product, and it should ship either tonight or tomorrow morning. I should actually get it in my grubby little mitts by Thursday, which gives me time to install and test-fire before a pair of matches on Saturday and Sunday.

Looking forward to these matches. I'll be shooting my rifle with:
-A new stock
-A new NM front sight (instead of a service sight)
-Prescription glasses that let me focus clearly on the front sight!
-200 rounds of identical match ammo! I've been hodgepodging my ammo at matches so far.

SmokyBaer
July 13, 2010, 06:41 AM
Any pics of the new stock??? I'm looking for a new stock too. Got an order in for a folder but may back out. Getting no response at all on my email so my enchantment is waning. What is Tony offering??

SR420
July 13, 2010, 07:26 AM
Excellent!

I bet it looks something like this one.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/The_H2O_MAN/law483.jpg

Post up some pictures when you can :cool:

SmokyBaer
July 14, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yep... that's the pic on LAW483.com but is the "prototype" part being metal bedding or super tight fit maybe? That would be WAY cool to have a lightweight stock that requires no extra bedding to be accurate.

azredhawk44
July 14, 2010, 04:55 PM
http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/The_H2O_MAN/law483.jpg

That's exactly it, but wearing Tony's carbine setup rather than my 22" barrel setup. He even sent me that exact pic via cell phone message when he finished it.

I have yet to take any pics of my completed rig. My camera battery is dead. I'll plug it in and recharge it.

Yep... that's the pic on LAW483.com but is the "prototype" part being metal bedding or super tight fit maybe? That would be WAY cool to have a lightweight stock that requires no extra bedding to be accurate.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "lightweight." It's heavier than a GI fiberglass rig, or a wooden bedded supermatch stock. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Definitely lighter than a JAE rig, though. By a healthy margin. I can carry this rifle out hunting, still. Granted, I'm still a young guy though.

All in all, I like it a lot. Very, very tight fit and it definitely shoots better than I do. My service rifle scores don't do the rig justice.

SR420
July 14, 2010, 05:43 PM
I was one of the beta testers that got to fondle the prototype of that stock (M14H6) and I was impressed.

I guess I need to place my order soon :)

THORN74
July 14, 2010, 10:05 PM
i have been eyeballin' the folding stock by CM Manufacturing (http://www.cmmanufacturing.com/modularstockplatforms.html) trying to decide between that and the vltor.

Wildalaska
July 14, 2010, 10:57 PM
Im such an old fogey with my GI fiberglass stock that gives me, when Im on, one MOA with open sights.

WildnotethewhenimonlanguageAlaska TM

azredhawk44
July 15, 2010, 10:45 AM
Wild... this one, benched, is sub-MOA.

For me, prone, it runs about 2MOA. When I'm on.

AZRedhawkX-10-9-X-10-9-X-10-9-6oops44

Wildalaska
July 15, 2010, 11:51 AM
When I'm on.

Thats the difference between real shooters and netmandos.....the ability to recognize that always our guns are good but that most-some-almostall of the time we just suck:p

"O yeah dudes I got me this here new $100 Savage tacticool sniper rifle and a new Red Star Snipe scope and it shoots .0001 MOA at 1000 yards every time. So why you guys spend all that money on fancy guns. I do IPSC with my HiPoint too and Rob Leatham was begging me for tips."

et. seq.

Wildmyfaviswhenishootgunsmadebefore1920andcantseeanypartofthesightsatallAlaska ™

Jimro
July 15, 2010, 03:11 PM
Heh,

If you can't shoot a Savage well, it's probably not the rifles fault.

Then again, that usually applies to any rifle in decent condition.

Jimro

SmokyBaer
August 2, 2010, 08:40 AM
Range report on that new M14H6 ??? :confused: