PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you other collectors

crimsondave
January 31, 2010, 12:19 PM
to admit you were buying rifles just to have them? I remember when I started out with a BL 22 and a k98 my dad sporterized for me when I was 8 or 9. At about 12 he bought my an 870 for my birthday. When I was about 15 I bought a SKS through my father, then shortly after that, he gave me his Remington 700 30-06. He had put on a Bell and Carlson and free floated the bar.

Well, I got my first job after HS, and it was off to the races. Even during college when I got a spare dime, I was buying guns. I justified them at first. I got a Model 70 Classic Safari in .375 H&H because everybody needs a big magnum, right. I might need to shoot a griz or something (hey, one might show its face in Alabama!) I bought an old Rem 721 in .300 H&H because I needed a lighter magnum and it matched up so well with my .375. 45-70, everybody needs a big bore. 22 mag, I need a 100 yard gun that doesn't kick. And on and on.

Then I found a 7x57 I wanted. I had multiple guns that would do anything it would do at least as well. I could not justify it in any way other than it's just such a classic old caliber that fathered so many others. This did not keep my from buying it, you understand, it was just the first gun I bought knowing full well it would collect dust in my safe 99% of the time.

At least 95% of the time when I rifle hunt I use my dad's old 06. I got a BAR this year and I used it some, even killed a little buck with it. Next year it will likely sit in the safe. In reality, my dad bought me every gun I ever needed before I was old enough to drive. But they're like crack. You just never get enough.

MTT TL
January 31, 2010, 12:42 PM
The first step to resolving an addiction I believe is admitting you have a problem and that it has taken control of your life.

I don't have a problem. ;)

tulsamal
January 31, 2010, 01:09 PM
I don't have a problem.

Neither do I!

And it isn't just rifles. Although I suffer from that affliction. I use at least one different rifle every year for deer hunting just to try to show there is some utility. Sometimes I will use 2-4 of them on different days over the course of the season! And I might try 3 gun someday. Or F Class. Better get ready.

I don't even like shotguns or bird hunt and I still have too many of the darn things. Started out with my Remington 1100 for my 16th birthday. My Dad's Winchester 1400. A few years ago I saw an Ithaca M37 that somebody had cut down to be a riot gun and I didn't have a pump. And everybody needs to have a double gun with hammers since all those westerns have coach guns. And then I read about the FN SLP and how it was the ultimate semi-auto fighting shotgun so I had to buy one of those as well. And a .410 for when we butcher a turkey.

But my personal weakness has always been handguns. I probably buy 2-3 handguns for every long gun. Like rifles and hunting, there are always reasons you need another one. The CCW gun is just too heavy. I want to try IDPA. Well, that first try was OK but everybody else was using XXXX. Well, that one worked but wouldn't it be fun to have something different for IDPA? And I could get one of these and use it for deer hunting. And Skeeter loved these. Elmer had several of these. This one is one of the all time classic designs and it has real stag grips. Ruger hasn't ever made a .44 Special before. This is the biggest handgun I've ever seen. This is the smallest handgun I've ever seen. This one is marked at 50% of its real value. I read about this one in a Classic Gun test. My wife could use this one for CCW. (Even though she doesn't have one and never will.) This one would be good for my children to learn to shoot a handgun with. (That one is good for multiple rifles and shotguns as well!)

You would think I would run out of "reasons" but it has been over 30 years of buying them now and I've still got an easy dozen "wants" percolating around in my head. Complete with very valid reasons!!

Gregg

Tucker 1371
January 31, 2010, 02:26 PM
Grandpaw started me out with a .22 chipmunk when I was 7. Then he got me a Mossberg 500 youth turkey 20ga when I was 10. A 10/22 @ 14. Then I got an AK last Christmas, now I buy my own.

About 75% of what I made last Summer went to guns... a Mosin, mounts, ammo, targets, new set of allen wrenches because I lost the one that fit my AK sight.

After boot I'm going to have $1500 to play with and every penny of it is going towards a nice 1911, holster, and ammo.

I'm in the early stages of my addiction but it's fairly obvious already, I'm a goner :D.

JerseyDrez
January 31, 2010, 02:30 PM
Is there any way you could post up a pic of your BAR, Crimson? Id love to check it out!

bigwrench
January 31, 2010, 06:25 PM
One day I bought a Marlin 62 in .30 carbine.:DMaybe you can tell me what that would be good for:D But I know I don't have a problem!

crimsondave
January 31, 2010, 11:02 PM
Is there any way you could post up a pic of your BAR, Crimson? Id love to check it out!

Sure, but I did mean a modern hunting BAR, not a REAL BAR.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs174.snc3/20145_107137042637165_100000226085964_183127_6829225_n.jpg

bigwrench
January 31, 2010, 11:15 PM
Wow dave thats a beuty! Is that reciever nickle or alloy? Either way I gotta have one of those! But, I don't have a problem>:D:cool:

crimsondave
February 1, 2010, 12:40 AM
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=002B&cat_id=031&type_id=536

Here is the link to it. It's Nickel. Browning calls it an oil finnish. When I bought mine, they were the same price as the regular finnish!

Ignition Override
February 1, 2010, 01:48 AM
Maybe a year and a half, but only made first gun purchase in October '07, at age 52. My only previous gun was the ancient Savage .22 which was seldom used.

After touring the skirmish sites of Bastogne, Belgium last May on a fascinating tour of E/F Companies' ("Band of...") foxholes etc, resolved to buy a Garand later this year.

My only passion is to have and use military rifles:), or at least in the same style (LE #4, #5, Yugo Mauser, SKS, Mini 30), in order to zap bricks, floating grapefruits, rotten branches etc, or try to hit an elusive, rarely seen swimming cottonmouth.

Those 'bubbafied'/sporterized military rifles seem like such a sad waste of what had been an exciting "battle rifle". I see them at gun shows and can not understand, nor sympathize with the butchery.
But the nice old .22, built in the 40's, allows lots of cheap fun and the tiny bead sight is better than those of many rifles. Would like a Romanian .22 Trainer one day.

Chaz88
February 1, 2010, 02:16 AM
I don't have a problem ether.:rolleyes: But Saturday I was at the crack house... I mean the gun show and bought an old double barreled Damascus shot gun, just because it was inexpensive and I think they look cool. It will probably never be shot more than a few times. But it will look good next to my grandfathers and great-grandfathers old shot guns.;)

gyvel
February 1, 2010, 05:45 AM
LMAO!!!

It's called "OCD." If one's good, five's better. :D

Pathfinder45
February 1, 2010, 01:35 PM
I'm kinda new at this, fellas; is it a 12 step program as in 12 steps to rationalizing your next gun purchase or 12 steps to stop buying more guns? I need to know soon 'cuz there's another big gun show this coming weekend at the Portland Expo.....Should I just not go to avoid the temptation? Or should I buck-up and face my weakness with a fresh resolve not to moved by it ....... unless of course I find that pre-war 1894 I've been hankering for? And then there's every possibility I could escape upright like an Oak having withstood temptation and bought nothing but a couple more G.I. ammo cans stuffed with reloading components and antique shotgun shells and accessories..... I think I better go; don't you? He'p me brothers!;)

Skans
February 1, 2010, 03:16 PM
....to admit you were buying rifles just to have them?

Heck, I've been doing that since the late '80's! I have 3 rifles, several handguns, and several things that are technically rifles sitting in my safe that I've never shot. Who cares - I still like fondling all of them!!!:D

uncyboo
February 1, 2010, 03:19 PM
The first step to resolving an addiction I believe is admitting you have a problem and that it has taken control of your life.

"Hello my name is Bill and I'm a powderholic"

I think I'm as addicted to the handloading process as much as the firearms themselves. Therefore, the more firearms I have, the more different loads I get to play with.:D

gyvel
February 2, 2010, 03:42 PM
12 step program?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm kinda new at this, fellas; is it a 12 step program as in 12 steps to rationalizing your next gun purchase or 12 steps to stop buying more guns? I need to know soon 'cuz there's another big gun show this coming weekend at the Portland Expo.....Should I just not go to avoid the temptation? Or should I buck-up and face my weakness with a fresh resolve not to moved by it ....... unless of course I find that pre-war 1894 I've been hankering for? And then there's every possibility I could escape upright like an Oak having withstood temptation and bought nothing but a couple more G.I. ammo cans stuffed with reloading components and antique shotgun shells and accessories..... I think I better go; don't you? He'p me brothers!

The National Dairy Council says you never outgrow your need for guns. :D

Chaz88
February 2, 2010, 04:12 PM
"Hello my name is Bill and I'm a powderholic"

Hello Bill!

Peptobismol9
February 2, 2010, 05:24 PM
Over the past 5 years, And m59/66 SKS, A mosin nagant 91/30, A few Handi rifles in 243, A 1895 Chilean mauser, an 1895 nagant Revolver, a remington 870 in 20 gauge, and between all that parts, parts, ammo, parts. Oh yeah, And parts. Hehe. Cant get enough 7.62x39 and cool little scope mounts.

sc928porsche
February 2, 2010, 05:42 PM
Yes, they are addictive. I dont know of a cure for it either. I got my first BB gun at age 7, my pellet rifle (.22) at nine, and my 1st deer rifle (30-40 Kraig) at 12. My biggest boon was in 68 when I purchaced 117 assorted mausers at $3 each. They have been the base for almost all my custom rifles. And no, I dont want to part with any of them.

To add to this addiction, I started reloading at age 14. Good thing I came from a large family of firearm nuts.

I have passed this addiction to my family members. Yes, its catching!

mesabi
February 2, 2010, 05:50 PM
GSU, what branch you joining?

My collection started with a 10/22 from my dad. Then a mossberg 500. Then a mosin. Then a semi-sporterized Enfield. Then a Tikka t3 laminated stainless, had I known they would have disontinued that model I wouldn't have sold it :(.Then a Remington 740. Then a Sporterized Carcano. Then a Winchester 1300. Then a Thompson Center Omega. Then a Dpms Ar-15. Then a CZ 452 American. My favorites are the CZ and the Enfield.

crimsondave
February 2, 2010, 07:30 PM
To add to this addiction, I started reloading at age 14. Good thing I came from a large family of firearm nuts.

That's about the same age I started reloading. I thought I was probably the only teenager to ever reload!

brian45auto
February 2, 2010, 07:57 PM
i don't see the issue in buying guns just to have??
every gun i've bought, i did'nt have prior to the purchase:D
the only problem i have, is finding just the right gun to buy.

Tucker 1371
February 2, 2010, 08:22 PM
GSU, what branch you joining?

It's in my sig. Nice collection you got, I gotta get me an Enfield too.

Chaz88
February 2, 2010, 09:01 PM
That's about the same age I started reloading. I thought I was probably the only teenager to ever reload!

I bet there are a bunch on this site. I was casting and loading .38's unsupervised by age 12.

Magnum Mike
February 2, 2010, 09:44 PM
Yep I just bought another new gun and press this last month. I'm Only going to get one more;)

kilimanjaro
February 2, 2010, 10:56 PM
GSUeagle, when you get your 1911, get a Colt Series 70, you will never regret it. For the rig, El Paso Saddlery. You'll spend the whole $1500, but the gear will last you for decades and go to your grandkid in the same shape.

February 2, 2010, 11:33 PM
MY NAME IS JOHN AND IM AN ADDICT!
wow guys lol! i just got back from Academy sports 10 min ago! i got here,sat down,opened the forum and this is the first thread i picked to read! ive been almost peein myself with laughter reading this thread! while i was at Academy a few min ago i saw the new sig ive been reading about. I think it was a 238? anyway its the new ccw in 380 that looks like a mini 1911. I kept thinking how i had to have it! even though i have 3 other pistols in that same caliber for that same purpose! alass im still thinking about what day next week im going to go get it. I dont feel so bad or strange now after i see im not the only one. My dad gave me this addiction so i get it honest. he bought me and my 2 brothers over under 20ga before we came through the birth canal! he aslo bought us each browning T bolt 22s! The day i turned 18 i bought my first rifle,a 10/22 from wally world for 86$ the next week i bought an SKS for 75$. The day i turned 21 i bought my first pistol! a para ordnance 14/45 Lda! it was the year they came out and won HG of the year! the very next week i went and bought a beretta 96 in .40! its been down hill ever since! im looking for a new gun safe now to. I have a liberty safe thats gorgeus royal blue! its 4x4x8 and holds 30 or more rifles with two shelves above it! the first shelf holds my semi autos and top shelf holds my wheel guns. STILL i need a new one now(small 12 or 16 rifle one)cause its so full i have to stack rifles in odd directions to get them all to fit. I need help to my brothers!

Chaz88
February 2, 2010, 11:41 PM
MY NAME IS JOHN AND IM AN ADDICT!

Hi John! We all know your struggle and are hear to support..... your habit. So get a bigger new safe. I think a 50 gun safe should hold you over for a month or two.:D

Grandpatime
February 2, 2010, 11:45 PM
My brother just picked up a ruger m77 mark 2 im 7mm rem mag stainless for 489$.Came with free ruger scope rings.I hope to add a A-bolt in 300 win mag w/boss & a 460 wby mark5 to my collection this year :D

Pathfinder45
February 2, 2010, 11:51 PM
i don't see the issue in buying guns just to have??
every gun i've bought, i did'nt have prior to the purchase
the only problem i have, is finding just the right gun to buy. I'm with ya on that note, Brian 45. So far I have no duplicates; and they all get used. I thinky my buddy's got more guns than he can count. But then he can't remember the names of all the girls he's been with either. As for me, I'm still in the single digits in both categories.

pvt.Long
February 2, 2010, 11:54 PM
Only problem i got is the problem of funds and decideing where the funds should go if its ammo another gun or into my tuck. Since ive been laid off I have had to re think my funds. Here recently it pains me to say that my ammo and gun funds have had a back seat to replacing cracked rims, and old tires and fixing other wear and tear on my old pickup.

Regolith
February 2, 2010, 11:58 PM
I'm not there yet. I'm still filling holes in my collection (one more rifle, which I will probably buy tomorrow, will "fill out" my long gun needs, then I'll probably start on handguns).

Any more rifles/shotguns after the next one I buy will definitely be "just to have it," but I don't find that to be a problem. It's always good to have extras around in case your go-to gun breaks (two is one, one is none). It also allows you to loan out guns to friends or family, if necessary.

Grandpatime
February 3, 2010, 12:03 AM
well im poe to but i plan to start college in june and they cut you a check for going to school about 3k would be more but they like their slice of the pie to.

Catfish25p2000
February 3, 2010, 12:19 AM
I'm not an addict... I can quit anytime I want. :D

Patriot78
February 3, 2010, 12:17 PM
Ok. Just cause I have bought a rifle, a carbine and have a pistol on layaway since the new year does not make me an addict! And just to show all of you that I'm serious, I'm not buying one more firearm after this next pistol purchase. And I'm serious. Really. Why are you guys laughing over there?

Strazznah
February 3, 2010, 05:03 PM
For me it all started when I was 21. I purchased a ruger P95, well, because I was 21 and I could. Wait let me back up....it all started whenI was 8 or 9 and I saved all of my nickels and dimes to get that 870 Wingmaster I had been eyeing.......Since then all down hill.
Last count I now have a total of 29 (and steadily rising). recently went in with my Bro on an AR-50....just because:D

p99guy
February 3, 2010, 05:20 PM
I , I, I, can stop anytime i want:o (but likely will coincide with me taking my last breath)

uncyboo
February 3, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hello Bill!

Ah, another 12 stepper.....

mesabi
February 3, 2010, 08:51 PM
Best of luck to you GSU. I recomend EOD if you Marine officers are eligible, though I havn't seen any here.

I highly suggest the Enfield. British Army used it from WW1 to Desert Storm for a Reason.