PDA

View Full Version : Price check mid-1960's Colt trooper .357

wnycollector
January 31, 2010, 09:56 AM
I just ran across a 6" mid 1960's trooper .357 w/ frame mounted firing pin. The grips are worn, but not worn out, there are two 1/4" area's of pitting on the (one on barrel and on on frame) there is normal blue loss on the high spots. This is a shooter and NOT a safe queen. I figure I can pick this up for ~$300. My instinct says buy it, mainly because its a colt revolver, but...its a late production 1960's colt revolver!

Lost Sheep
January 31, 2010, 05:15 PM
One trick of buying used cars is to look at the pedals. Worn pedals means lots of driving and if lots of brake pedal wear (and clutch if there is one) means more stop-and-go than highway.
Do you think the worn grips mean a lot of range shooting? Or replacement grips? Examine the barrel and forcing cone well. Also the advancing hand, locking hand and other wear points.

Have you read the thread at the top of these forums?

"http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57816"
"Revolver checkout: how to tell if a particular specimen is any good" by Jim March

My two-year-old Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values puts the value of a 90% Colt Trooper (manuf. 53-69) at $350 and a Colt Trooper Mk III (manuf. 69-83) at $180. The lockwork was redesigned for the Mark III to require less hand fitting. Prices vary greatly, depending on your location.

The pitting probably means that the gun can never be restored, even if you send it back to Colt for polishing and re-bluing. I would use that fact to bargain the price down. But then I am heartless.

For a shooter, measure the chamber throats, examine the forcing cone and the condition of the rifling, REAL HARD.

Good Luck

Lost Sheep

jim n iowa
January 31, 2010, 07:39 PM
I have Colt Trooper 4", nickel plated, very little wear, it has a Transferbar, I bought it in 69 or early 70,(Pythons were not available). I carried as a side arm when hunting. The 4" is a great strong side carry in the field. I now carry a Ruger SBH 4.5" in .44sp/.44mag, it has almost the same recoil.
Jim

Bearstopper
February 4, 2010, 10:31 AM
If you plan on keeping it and you like it as is then buy for the best deal you can get. If you think you might want to sell it at some point you may not get your money back based on the condition described. I happen to like well used revolvers that while not new looking still have plenty of shooting life left.

Winchester_73
February 4, 2010, 11:18 AM
I would certainly buy it for that money. Its really hard to find a $300 quality 357. Of course there's taurus rossi and Comanche around for cheap, but look at what you get. This is a colt, and because of that, the next guy will always want it. For $300, how can you go wrong?

aarondhgraham
February 4, 2010, 01:19 PM
Trooper:
Exc = 600, Very good = 475, Good = 300, Fair = 150

Trooper Mk III
Exc = 400, Very good = 325, Good = 200, Fair = 150

Personally I think these prices are a bit soft,,,
My Trooper Mk III is in the Good to Very good category,,,
I've seen much worse specimens than mine go for over 500 bucks.

My 2009 Blue book rates them about the same,,,
Give or take 50 bucks.

Hope this helps you,,,

Aarond

22-rimfire
February 4, 2010, 01:47 PM
I'd buy it if you want a shooter. We all need shooters.