PDA

View Full Version : French MAS 49/56

KROIL
January 30, 2010, 08:08 PM
I retain one of the MAS 49/56's in 7.5x54. This is one hell of a great rifle. It is built like a brick. Rosie O'Donnal could drive over one and not hurt it. Simple and very accurate. I dont want to hear of your .308 re-bubbed Century 49/56 that wont function correctly. Read up on the corrections that you may need to do to it to make it work- Gun Boards is a good source. I recently sold a .308 chambered one to a friend that I did a chamber polish on and also put a correct non-clipped recoil spring in. It then worked great and he has had no problems. If you want the most out of a 7.5x54 original - load your own rounds. Graf's has the brass. And it fires a .308 dia. bullet. Hard primers as in CCI#34'S are the way to go to prevent slam fires which suck. The Hornady load books have the Load recipes. The rifle comes with a scope rail slot on the recriver side and K-Var makes [made] the best mount for one. I can do an easy inch at 100 with a load using IMR 4064. If you can find one of these rifles grab it. Ya will be happy.

ohen cepel
January 30, 2010, 08:29 PM
I prefer the French bolt guns myself . However, they are both fine rifles and very under rated.

stubbicatt
January 31, 2010, 06:57 PM
Never been fired and only dropped once?

Poor impulse control. Sorry.

EdInk
January 31, 2010, 09:07 PM
Does you're have the bayonet lug and white flag swivel?

mesabi
January 31, 2010, 09:38 PM
I'd buy one if it was issued to the French Foreign Legion. Thats a piece of history there.

wayne in boca
February 1, 2010, 04:25 AM
See if you can get me to surrender when I'm holding a French rifle.The 49/56 is an excellent rifle,and saw combat extensively.Since I got mine,I have also picked up a Model 36 and a Model 36/51 bolt action rifle( a modified Model 36 that has been fitted with a grenade launcher),also chambered in 7.5 X 54.All of them are accurate and deadly,and can still be found in excellent condition.Many of them were refurbished as recently as 1992 in French arsenals and stored for reserve use.An excellent value for a collector of Cold War firearms.