PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Dog Hearing Loss ?

Hook686
January 30, 2010, 02:50 PM
I read of the need for hearing protection, even when out hunting. Folks seem to point out how important it is. I've never read anything about the dog some folks hunt with. Are there any hearing protection for dogs, or do they simply lose hearing altogether with passing time ?

FS2K
January 30, 2010, 06:23 PM
Because of how close the dogs get to the tartget in Hog Hunting hearing loss should be a big concern. Short of using a surpressor on your rifle, or some possibly Sub-Sonic rounds to cut down on the sonic crackle I really haven't seen any hearing protection equiptment geared towards dogs. I suppose you could put some Vasciline in their ears before taking them out but I would make sure to clean ALL that stuff out afterwards. Too bad no one makes a half headmuzzle cap like rig to protect the dogs ears.

FS2K
January 30, 2010, 06:32 PM
Because of how close the dogs get to the tartget in Hog Hunting hearing loss should be a big concern. Short of using a surpressor on your rifle, or some possibly Sub-Sonic rounds to cut down on the sonic crackle I really haven't seen any hearing protection equiptment geared towards dogs. I suppose you could put some Vasciline in their ears before taking them out but I would make sure to clean ALL that stuff out afterwards. Too bad no one makes a half headmuzzle cap like rig to protect the dogs ears.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/columns/story?columnist=stewart_mike&page=sd_col_Stewart_hearing_protection

ENC
January 30, 2010, 06:33 PM
I know that they have earplugs for horses in mounted shooting, but I have never seen anything for dogs. Nobody I hunt or shoot with ever uses or says anything about using hearing protection.

Evan

impalacustom
January 31, 2010, 06:09 AM
My black lab, Harley has lost his vision and some of his hearing but not from gunshots. He is 14 and just goes for a ride when I go hunting, he still loves the outdoors. I have used Mutt Muffs for a while and they work. I had to speak a bit louder when Harley wore them but not that much more and to me and for him they were worth it.

http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

Lloyd Smale
January 31, 2010, 07:32 AM
i bought a pair of those muffs for my lab and couldnt get him to keep them on no matter how hard i tried. hed sneak off and rub them off of his head and id have to go look for them. to bad because he lost so much of his hearing i have to leave him home when im shooting now.

nitetrane98
January 31, 2010, 12:37 PM
I'm pretty convinced that heavy caliber guns will damage the ears of a prick eared dog like a German Shepherd. I don't know about flop eared dogs like labs etc.

One day after a particularly long session with .45, 10mm, ,357 and 9mm pistols my GSD was deaf as a post. I thought "OMG what have I done?" For a few days I couldn't let him out of my sight. He had excellent recall before and wouldn't even look up when I called him after. I had to stomp the ground to get his attention and then use hand signals. Fortunately his hearing returned to normal but I still don't know if it is as good as it used to be. He's not allowed around anything louder than a .22 rifle these days.

Chipperman
January 31, 2010, 05:32 PM
Putting Vaseline in a dog's ears is begging for a nasty ear infection.

Flop-ear dogs are just as susceptible to hearing loss as any others. The thing that really is going to affect the loss is the number of rounds, and the proximity of the dog to the shooter.

Dogs that are 30-40 yards away from the shooter flushing game are going to experience much lower dB effects than a dog sitting right next to the shooter.

EdInk
January 31, 2010, 09:19 PM
Those Mutt Muffs seem like a must-have item for anyone that cares about their hunting dog.

Hook686
February 1, 2010, 05:35 AM
Those mutt muffs are what I was looking for. Great post. Thanks.

sourdough44
February 1, 2010, 06:30 AM
I also try to go easy on shooting with the dog close to(below) the muzzle. I know the dog is out front working game but you can still try to limit shots that give to much blast.