PDA

View Full Version : Controlling barrel temp

dumbodave
January 30, 2010, 03:00 AM
I shoot a P17 Rem-Enfield that is somewhat modified in 264 Win cal. My brass is all getting a little long in the tooth and I have acquired 100 rounds of new unfired WW brass to replace it with. Plan to fireform them this spring, but don't like the thought of blowing off 100 round in an afternoon. That barrel gets too hot to hold after 5 or 6 rounds. Been thinking of cooling down the barrel with a wet towel. Anybody ever try that? Any other thoughts?

micksis86
January 30, 2010, 04:00 AM
Maybe you could try giving it a few minutes between shots from the get go to try and slow the barrel heating up. I have the same problem especially in the hot weather where I do most of my shooting.

dumbodave
January 30, 2010, 04:14 AM
That's the problem... 10 minutes or so every 5 or 6 rounds. How long to burn 100 rounds just to fireform them so I can begin to seriously reload them. :(

Yankee Doodle
January 30, 2010, 07:59 AM
When shooting for extended sessions, I put two damp towels in a cooler with a bunch of ice cubes. I lay one down the length of the barrel while shooting, and change them every 10 rounds or so. Reduces the heat of the barrel from "grill" to slightly hot.
Give it a try.

Bart B.
January 30, 2010, 02:10 PM
I never let barrels cool down. One doesn't need to if they're stress relieved the right way and fit properly to the receiver.

If you barrel changes point of impact when it gets hot, the barrel's either not stress relieved or, more common, fit to the receiver whose face isn't square with the barrel tenon threads. The high point on the receiver will bear harder against the barrel as the metal heats up putting a stress point at that place. This can cause the barrel to bend a bit.

If you must cool down your barrels, it's best to just let them sit for a while. Super-cooling them fast with cold material may cause enough stress changing things to warp the barrel.

ronto
January 30, 2010, 02:21 PM
Fire 5 or 6 rounds, open the action, have a few sips of beer, repeat as needed.

uncyboo
January 30, 2010, 02:35 PM
Fire form them with the Cream of Wheat/Crisco method.

You don't have to spend 20 - 40 bucks on bullets, no recoil, fireforms just fine without full pressure and heat, 100 less round of copper going down the barrel, lots of advantages.

James R. Burke
January 31, 2010, 01:02 PM
If you wait a few minutes between shots it will cool down alot faster, then if you put five or ten down it. That towel method sounds pretty good also, I might give that one a try the next time I am in a hurry.

highvel
January 31, 2010, 01:44 PM
Barrels should be allowed to cool evenly. All things expand and contract evenly according to their temperature.If you use any outside cooling method the barrel will have uneven areas of temperature expansion, and could be a bad thing.

rbernie
January 31, 2010, 02:23 PM
Running a bore snake down the pipe between each shot goes a long way to keeping temperatures in check.

TriumphGuy
January 31, 2010, 02:42 PM
Come visit me in Ohio. It's 17 degrees here.

Art Eatman
January 31, 2010, 02:46 PM
Even using jacketed bullets, a load of something like 20 to 25 grains of 2400 will be adequate pressure for fire-forming.

Cooling the main length of the barrel isn't all that important. The critical place where heat buildup affects things is the leade. That's the main hotspot in the whole deal.