PDA

View Full Version : Lefty using righty question

Slapapple
January 30, 2010, 02:51 AM
Hello. I just had a basic experience question for anyone who wants to voice their opinion.

I am a left eye dominant, left hand shooter. I have had little problems with hand guns and am looking to purchase a assault rifle. The gun I have my eye on is my favorite and I don't want to settle for a lefty that I don't like so Im buying a righty that I love.
The rifle in question is the Oly Multimatch ML-2.
My question is: How worried should I be about casing ejections?
Does anyone have any experience with my problem?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Kreyzhorse
January 30, 2010, 08:31 AM
I don't have any experience with that rifle, but as a lefty with many semi-autos, I've never had an issue with casing ejection.

In fact, the only issue I've had with rifles in general is that I got tired of hunting with a right handed bolt action. I finally broke down and bought a left handed bolt action and I'm not sure how I lived without it.

vranasaurus
January 30, 2010, 09:46 AM
Don't worry about case ejections I shoot right handed semis left handed to include AR-15's and have never had a problem.

Also please don't call them assault rifles.

Buzzcook
January 30, 2010, 12:00 PM
Thank you for supporting the economy of Washington state by buying from Olympic Arms.

Chipperman
January 30, 2010, 12:01 PM
I am Lefty also. You only need to worry about an AR if it is old-school with no case deflector. I have one upper that does not have the deflector, and the cases will hit my left cheek when shooting.

With the deflector, I've never been hit by a single case.

Buzzard Bait
January 30, 2010, 12:34 PM
I am totaly blind in my right eye so I am forced to shoot like a lefty. I have not shot that rifle but other ar's don't give me much problem. I say not much because I'm am going to suggest you keep the top button on your shirt buttoned up and don't go to a match with a lose neck shirt. Hot brass down inside your shirt is real distracting.
bb

Chipperman
January 30, 2010, 02:55 PM
Hot brass down inside your shirt is real distracting.

Yeah, but the Hot Brass Dance is always entertaining to watch. :D

Slapapple
January 31, 2010, 12:54 AM
Thank you for all your input guys. I feel a little better now.

GLK
January 31, 2010, 08:12 AM
The reason a left handed shooter should shoot left hand designed rifles is not due to the ejection path, although a problem for some it is very easy to address. Catastrophic failure is the reason. If by chance there is a catastrophic failure you really really really want that big gaping hole (aka ejection port) as far from your face and EYES as possible.

Unless one is part of an organized military/fighting force, there is no good reason for a left handed person not to get a gun properly designed for a left handed shooter. Even my LH Remington 700s have the over pressure port on the left of the receiver as to put them as far away from the left handed shooters face and eyes as possible. Personally I'll never buy a right handed rifle if I can buy the same rifle in a left handed design, there simply is no up side. Some may claim resale value but that has never been an issue in my experience.

FSJeeper
January 31, 2010, 09:37 AM
GLK nailed it. I am blind in the right eye and have to shoot rifles left handed.
Safety is the prime reason to get a left handed rifle.

I have fired most of the semi auto military type rifles and pretty much all of the other type rifles in right hand. I have never had an issue with anything except the safety location takes some getting used too. This excludes bull pups for the ones that can not be converted to left hand, you can't shoot them left handed.

I have settled on the M1A and AK formats for my needs with the M1A having an ambidextrous safety. Right side bolt is easier for a lefty to cycle than a right handed person.

I do not worry about the extraction port being on the right side because these are reliable weapons and properly maintained. Plus, blowing up has not been a pressing issue with them.

If I could have bought these in left handed, I would have, just as my bolt rifles I buy in left handed, But, the main reason I would is for the additional safety factor.

gb_in_ga
January 31, 2010, 12:48 PM
I, too, am a left eye dominant southpaw.

One problem I had along those lines was back when I was in the Army (back in the '70s). My issued M16 (an A1) had this irritating habit of ejecting empties right down the open collar of my shirt. If it managed to make it into my t-shirt, I got to do the hot brass dance. The solution for this was to just button up my collar -- problem solved. The other issue was that the safety-selector was on the wrong side and was a PITA to operate. Other than those 2 issues, it wasn't any big deal.

nickybh
February 1, 2010, 02:24 AM
If you listen to any lefty who shoots lefty they will always tell you to get a lefty rifle. Many lefty shooters will shoot righty and say it's fine but those that eventually make the transition to lefty arms will never go back.

There is a reason lefty guns are made. If there was no market for them they would not exist. I can shoot a righty just fine but would prefer a rifle that was made for my orientation. There's a reason the mag release, safety, forward assist, ejection port, etc are where they are. Get what is going to work best for your "handedness."

As for Oly Arms...I would say support your local manufacturer, however, you should do your research before picking a rifle manufacturer especially if your application is tactical.

Jobfix
February 1, 2010, 03:25 AM
My preference, contrary to some, is the convenience of loading collecting brass with a right hand action. I have a portable shooting table and operate my bolt action like a single shot rifle, so it is easy to catch the spent brass then feed the next cartridge.
I've always worn shooting glasses and never push my loads to extremes any more. I was once fascinated by maximum velocity, but got tired of having barrels re-chambered. Speed is expensive, another bonus was I noticed on the chronograph, less powder = more uniform velocity(lowered extreme spread) and improved accuracy.
I guess The latter part of my answer was justifying my lack of regard for the right hand gas port on the receiver...:D

A_Gamehog
February 1, 2010, 04:09 PM
I shoot lefty with right handed guns. I have standardized my weapons so the safety, bolt, scope, stocks all feel the same in my big guns. That said, I was going to buy a Left hand AR-15 because the thought of hot brass whizzing by
my face made me stop and think, I shot a Right handed Mini-14 during quarterly qualification in my previous job for many years. I never thought twice about it. Has anyone else been doing this also? well yes, we never had a choice years ago as you do now.

But if I was going to buy my first rifle now and had a choice, it would be left hand, and all others bought later would be also. Even if it cost more $$$ if only for safety reasons.

Just don't go out and buy all the left handed ammo !

Slapapple
February 2, 2010, 01:06 AM
If Oly made the ML-2 in a left hand model, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Since they don't, and thats the rifle I want, to achieve that I would have had to build my rifle from various manufacturers and it would have been extremely costly.

In the end there was a lot of factors going into my purchase (like the killer price I got!) and it seemed reasonable to get a righty.

I will definitely be on the lookout for a lefty gun at the range! Maybe some lucky soul will let me fire it and change me over to the lefty world! :D

benroe
February 2, 2010, 04:31 AM
My last AR was an olympic arms and I got tired of the brass hitting me in the face, going down my shirt, etc...It turned me off of the AR platform for a while. Then I discovered Stag Arms. They make an AR in lefty and it is a fine rifle!!

A_Gamehog
February 3, 2010, 11:14 PM
this is not the first time we spoke about LH AR's

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317263