PDA

View Full Version : Does everybody make scopes today?

troy_mclure
January 30, 2010, 12:50 AM
i just looked thru a Columbia(yep the clothing makers) scope today.

It was very clear, and a good price for a 3-12x50, just don't know about toughness/reliability.

Jimro
January 30, 2010, 01:05 AM
Those Columbia scopes are rebadged Kruger's. I have a Kruger Lynx spotting scope. Nice piece of glass with a ranging reticle.

Jimro

lockedcj7
January 30, 2010, 08:12 AM
There are four ways (that I know of) that a company name can appear on a product. I'm sure there are combinations of the below and ways that I don't know about.

#1. The company in question owns the factory. This is usually the case with the signature line. That is, those are the products for which the brand is known.

#2. The company has the item made by a contract company, approves it and then slaps their brand on it. Many guns have been done like this. Remington Spartan and Mossberg Silver Reserve come to mind but Charles Daly and many, many others have also done it.

#3. The company sells the rights to the name in a limited licensing agreement. The maker markets and distributes the item and pays a royalty to the brand-name company. Jeep doesn't make mountain bikes but their name appears on some in a licensing agreement.

#4. The item is a fake and the maker is using the brand without license and isn't paying a royalty.

In 1-3, the brand-name company has varying degrees of ability to control quality but they have a vested interest in quality so they can protect their reputation.

In short, Columbia doesn't make scopes. They are either having them made by a contractor or, most likely, have sold the Columbia name in a licensing deal.

Palmetto-Pride
January 30, 2010, 08:41 AM
I know this may come as a shock to you, but they are made in China. I know I was shocked too........ Lol