PDA

View Full Version : Buying a DSA FAL

rallyshooter
January 29, 2010, 11:53 PM
I'm currently trying to acquire a DSA FAL. I've held one at the local gun store and like the rifle very much. I'd like to find one, but Im interested in the 18" model, which seems to be pretty rare on the market.

Does anyone have any experience working directly with DSA? How long of a turn around time can I expect? Or can someone recommend me an online source that has an 18" model at a reasonable price?

wayne in boca
January 30, 2010, 08:08 AM
It does not matter how long the wait is,it is worth it.You will be happy when you finally get it.Good things come to those who wait.

iamkris
January 30, 2010, 10:55 AM
DSA has notoriously slow response. A very large part of this, however, is that their products are excellent and are in high demand. That said, I'm not sure that they place lightning fast customer service at the top of their priority list.

I'll admit that I'm a DSA fanboy. I have 2 of their products (StG58A and SA58 Para shown below) and they are top notch. I've bought accessories from them before also and they are very good. I waited 8 weeks for the StG back in 2002 and 18 weeks for the Para in 2006.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2w1xz0i.jpg

UpstateGlocker
January 30, 2010, 12:54 PM
DSA FALs are top notch but their customer service and order tracking are terrible. Even simple tasks like filling orders for their paper catalog seem to stump them and you'd better confirm the order once in a while even if you give them your credit card and ffl since they seem to lose orders on a regular basis. I get the impression they use the yellow sticky note method for tracking customer service. That all being said, the wait and frustration are worth it once the product arrives.

rallyshooter
January 30, 2010, 01:01 PM
I'm concerned about the wait time for the rifle, because I dont have a lot of time stateside to receive it. I just got back from a deployment two weeks ago, and Im looking at another deployment in about six months, on top of a couple tdy in between. I'd be afraid that DSA would take too long and ship the rifle to my ffl right after I deploy. I guess the only thing I can do is contact DSA for a wait estimate.

RT
January 30, 2010, 02:43 PM
http://www.usmadefal.com/

Gelgoog
January 30, 2010, 03:47 PM
DSA makes very good products but if you have something go wrong you could be waiting a long time for warranty work to be done. I bought their top of the line SA58 para elite and it was all kinds of ****ed up. The gas system was completely non-functional. So I had a single shot rifle that would lock up so tight after you fired it that only a bootheel could kick the action open.

I expected to have a functioning rifle for the kind of cash I layed out for that rifle, and while I could have sent it back for warranty work, I refused to wait 4-6 months to get my rifle back. So I decided to sell it instead of waiting all that time.

I was kind of ****** off at the time, because this was just after I got a DSA TP-9 that was a jam-o-matic. Now I know DSA makes great stuff, but my luck with them has been disappointing. I may give them another chance in the future, but it will be a while.

ostrobothnian
February 1, 2010, 03:50 AM
Falfiles.com is the authority. There is a new DSA SA58 for sale there now for $1300. Suppose you could buy it and have it before the end of the week ;).

Do you have the ability to build your own? Then go for it!

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/parapics006.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/StGwood002.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/finlandssvensk/G1wood001.jpg

Let the build party begin!

gyvel
February 1, 2010, 05:42 AM
DSA makes very good products but if you have something go wrong you could be waiting a long time for warranty work to be done. I bought their top of the line SA58 para elite and it was all kinds of ****ed up. The gas system was completely non-functional. So I had a single shot rifle that would lock up so tight after you fired it that only a bootheel could kick the action open.

Sounds like the rifle was short cycling; This is a phenomenon whereby the gas system doesn't kick the bolt back far enough to fully extract the cartridge from the chamber, which results in a slight swelling of the case from light residual gas pressure, and, since it wasn't kicked out, the bolt slams it back into the chamber where it jams it tighter than all get-out.

Usually, this is the result of using worn gas system parts, and even when the gas adjustment ring is turned all the way closed, it still won't work since not enough gas is getting to the piston. Sometimes it's ammo specific, too. The simple solution is to remove the front sight completely and drill the gas bleed off hole to .118-.120" to allow a little more gas into the gas tube.

I had this happen on a couple of L1A1 builds (one was a short barrel) and that seemed to solve my problem.

ostrobothnian
February 1, 2010, 06:12 AM

Two dumb questions first BEFORE you drill anything...

1. Does the gas plug have the A mark facing up? If it has the Gr mark the rifle will function in grenade launching mode and will not cycle.

2. Have you tried adjusting the gas?

Carry on.

gyvel
February 2, 2010, 03:44 PM

1. Does the gas plug have the A mark facing up? If it has the Gr mark the rifle will function in grenade launching mode and will not cycle.

Carry on.

Good point and very good advice. I was getting ahead of the issue, maybe.

Gelgoog
February 2, 2010, 03:48 PM
Sounds like the rifle was short cycling; This is a phenomenon whereby the gas system doesn't kick the bolt back far enough to fully extract the cartridge from the chamber, which results in a slight swelling of the case from light residual gas pressure, and, since it wasn't kicked out, the bolt slams it back into the chamber where it jams it tighter than all get-out.

Usually, this is the result of using worn gas system parts, and even when the gas adjustment ring is turned all the way closed, it still won't work since not enough gas is getting to the piston. Sometimes it's ammo specific, too. The simple solution is to remove the front sight completely and drill the gas bleed off hole to .118-.120" to allow a little more gas into the gas tube.

I had this happen on a couple of L1A1 builds (one was a short barrel) and that seemed to solve my problem.
gyvel is online now Report Post

From all appearence it was not cycling at all. As in Zero gas was reaching the piston.

Carry on.

yes, tried both, neither did anything. I had an FN49 already so I was used to the FAL gas system before I bought it.

gyvel
February 3, 2010, 03:10 AM
From all appearance it was not cycling at all. As in Zero gas was reaching the piston.

The short cycling phenomenon will give you appearance that the bolt didn't move at all. It cycles part way, then jams the slightly expanded case back in the chamber, and you have to pound the bolt open.

Now, on the other hand, if you are positive that there is no movement whatsoever, it may be that the gas bleed off hole is plugged or, if it is a new barrel, the hole may never have been drilled in the first place. It's simple to check: Just unscrew your front sight post and see (remove gas plug and gas piston first).

Or, you could just send it back to DSA and let them worry about it.

ostrobothnian
February 3, 2010, 03:47 AM
gyvel. Thank you.

Check the gas port with some pin guages if you have them. At least that's what I'd do. Simple and easy.

And remember...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rdpy481GRo