PDA

View Full Version : ar shooters

ranger dave
January 27, 2010, 07:28 PM
ive been working on a project for the last 6 months and i would like to get some feed back. as we all know most ar / m4 today have some kind of red bot sight on them . that you have to remeber to turn on or to turn off. what ive come up with is a micro switch fited inside the lower ( thats all ill say dont want to let the cat out of the bag to soon) so that when you take the weapon off saftey your sight is turned on. your weapons sight would become hands free . this is not a new idea but i think im the first one to make it work on the ar family of guns so as an ar 15 owner what do you think

mr-geep
January 27, 2010, 07:43 PM
Love it!

pvt.Long
January 27, 2010, 07:45 PM
Love it very nice it is something the ar shooters need

ranger dave
January 27, 2010, 07:54 PM
i sent the idea to the army first. im going befor the inf. board in 6 weeks to show what ive come up with

ranger dave
January 27, 2010, 07:58 PM
the whole thing would cost less then $ 5 in parts and about 15 min to install

Bohica6284
January 27, 2010, 07:59 PM
This sounds like a good idea. Only thing I'm picturing in my head though is....exposed wires running down the side of the gun. ??

ranger dave
January 27, 2010, 08:07 PM
not to give to much away i used 1/8 inch ribbon wire made for nasa and its all inside with a 3.5 mm head phone jack that is mounted between one of the 1913 rails. you would just plug your sight in

tincanhunter
January 27, 2010, 10:03 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Now if you could use a weak radio transmitter, maybe with the lower receiver as the antenna since the transmitter would be inside the rifle and hence a Faraday cage, to transmit the turn on/off signal to the sight...get rid of the wires and your idea would be way cooler.

oif-vet
January 27, 2010, 10:49 PM
Sounds like a good idea. However, the thing that may be overlooked is how are you supposed to adjust the brightness or (bloom) of the reticle for particular shooting conditions. You still have to adjust the brightness so it really won't make it hands free.

lmccrock
January 28, 2010, 08:15 AM
Thinking out loud.....

When upper and lower are separated, what happens? Make sure the cable survives when the sight is not unplugged first.

ACOG does not need a battery, an Aimpoint battery lasts roughly forever and does not need shutting off, so you are talking EOTech.

Now if you could use a weak radio transmitter,
Engineer mode on: Well, still needs a battery to transmit. And powerful enough not to be jammed. And more stuff not for a public forum.

Lee

Stevie-Ray
January 28, 2010, 12:51 PM
the whole thing would cost less then $ 5 in parts and about 15 min to install Seriously? I'd be very interested to see how this pans out.

warbirdlover
January 28, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hopefully you've applied for a patent. If not, a notarized, description (blueprint) of the idea, along with who you have discussed it with, sent certified mail to yourself can protect it until you get a patent going.

stacks04
January 28, 2010, 02:22 PM
youve got my attention. good luck.

GA Limited GM
January 30, 2010, 07:08 PM
Best of luck to ya man. Sounds like a good deal for sure.

colostomyclown
January 30, 2010, 07:54 PM
do want.

Double Naught Spy
January 30, 2010, 10:32 PM
While I like the concept, why must the sight be slaved to the safety? What would be wrong with using a touch strip on the grip?

Folks may want the sight on even when the safety is engaged, but they aren't likely to want or need the sight to be on if they don't have a hand on the grip.