PDA

View Full Version : Why get an AR

flight doc 78
January 27, 2010, 06:40 PM
I am very close to getting an AR in the very near future, and wanted to ask a few questions first. First, why did you buy an AR style rifle? Where do you keep it in your house? What is your main usage for it?

My biggest dillema is why do I need one. It is a cool rifle, and it would be fun to target practice with it. But that is not a reason to buy one. I wouldn't use it for home defense. I live in a subdivision and have plenty of pistols/shotguns that I would use and feel safer using for home defense in the neighborhood. I also own plenty of deer/big game/varmint rifles that I love and am accurate with, and would likely not use this for hunting.

So convince me to buy one or not to..... :D

Catfish25p2000
January 27, 2010, 06:51 PM
I bought my first AR.... Well... Just to have one! I love it. They are just great sporting/coyote rifles. Get one, you will like it. Oh yea, and mine stays in the safe.

DRice.72
January 27, 2010, 06:52 PM
I don't own an AR style rifle. I would buy one if I had the money though. The only reasons I would have, are that they are historical, fun to shoot, and cool. If you can afford one without putting yourself out, and you want it. You don't need another reason. You work for your dollar? Spend it on what makes you happy.

TRguy
January 27, 2010, 06:52 PM
Cause you want one and cause you still can in America. Enough said.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj131/TRguy/Guns/100_1512-1.jpg

Tucker 1371
January 27, 2010, 06:54 PM
I live in a subdivision and have plenty of pistols/shotguns that I would use and feel safer using for home defense in the neighborhood.

Research suggests that .223/5.56 of most bullet weights and compositions are actually a lot less likely to overpenetrate than 9mm, .45 ACP, or 00 buckshot.

Other than that, ARs (and AKs, F2000s, STG 556s) are just plain fun for plinking and target shooting.

ARs are also a very accurate platform compared to most semi-auto rifles.

It will make a more than capable home defense gun.

If you get one in 6.8 it will be capable of reliably bringing down deer and hogs.

You can get one in one caliber today and if you decide you need another gun in another caliber all you have to do is buy an upper and swap them out.

Or this :D
http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt96/ew00724/barbieformen.jpg

DMK
January 27, 2010, 07:18 PM
First, why did you buy an AR style rifle? Where do you keep it in your house? What is your main usage for it?

Light weight, accurate, great sights, easy to mount optics, good ergonomics, easy to reach controls, versatile. You can use the carry handle to shoot with iron sights, swap it for a red dot, or swap it for a magnified scope, all in the same shooting session. Get a quality flat top carbine, you can use it for everything from plinking, target shooting, varmint hunting, or self/home defense.

I keep one carbine in the bedroom and another in my workshop. The rest are in the gunsafe. I live in the country, surrounded in three sides by hills and woods. These are my primary home defense arms other than the handgun by my bed.

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmk0210/myarms/Midlengths.JPG

pvt.Long
January 27, 2010, 07:28 PM
its a lego gun you can do anything to it. I bought mine becuse i got bit by the black rifle bug it was either the S&W m&p,FN FS2000 or a p90 and the store i went to was running a deal on the s&w for $800 with the free 5 mag deal that s&w was running. I use mine for home D and target shooting.

mr-geep
January 27, 2010, 07:29 PM
I bought mine because I can still own one! I justified it because I can use it for Coyotes and bobcat. Its one of the funnest to take to the range, very accurate, versatile because you can buy different upper recievers for it to change caliber. I was recently impressed with the 450 Bushmaster upper a friend of mine brought to the range.
I describe it to my friends as "The Corvette of Firearms".

Is it the best choice for every situation? No. Is it the most reliable? Not always. Can you pick up chicks with it? Most definetly!

gotigers
January 27, 2010, 07:38 PM
I am sure it has been said...

Why: light, modular, fun, accurate, light, versatile, because i can and it's COOL, lol. The modularity allows you to make it your own. If you like to tinker with gadgets, this is the rifle to have. Lots of parts, vendors, etc.

Use: killing paper, shoot with other AR owners, Tactical classes, some hunting, SHTF

storage: in a safe, but easy to get to

Research suggests that .223/5.56 of most bullet weights and compositions are actually a lot less likely to overpenetrate than 9mm, .45 ACP, or 00 buckshot.

That is actually true. I was in a class saturday. The instructor, covered that fact with some convincing background.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d68/50_BMG/Guns/122309.jpg

bigghoss
January 27, 2010, 07:54 PM
I like to shoot a lot and I like to load mags very little. AR's are accurate and there is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much aftermarket support for them. I also can't leave well-enough alone and AR's are super easy to tinker with.

3StrikesNC
January 27, 2010, 08:15 PM
1) Obamanation (bought before he won the Primary - I had complete confidence in the voting public:().
2) Next to my bed, loaded.
3) Use it in Club Matches.
:D

highvel
January 27, 2010, 08:21 PM
Bought one and absolutely love it!

3StrikesNC
January 27, 2010, 08:22 PM
oh, it ain't real unless there's a pic :rolleyes:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa112/6045gcnc/MP154.jpg

NYMarksman
January 27, 2010, 08:41 PM
I got my AR's for several reasons, for one thing it is the closest thing I could find to the M16 I carried many moons ago (I loved that weapon) for another reason it is an amazingly fun weapon to shoot and the third and most imperitive reason is that I don't trust the current goverments dedication to the constitutions 2nd amendment and if the current president (you won't ever hear me say my predsident) carries through with what I've determined to be his agenda to gut the 2nd amendment I intend to have my rifles safely home with me before he has the chance to prevent me from ever getting them.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/HVBowman/weaver46.jpg

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/HVBowman/AR4.jpg

Composer_1777
January 27, 2010, 09:36 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4299298713_9fb1d562e5.jpg

vranasaurus
January 27, 2010, 09:37 PM
Since when was being cool and fun to shoot not a legitimate reason to buy a gun?

This is why I bought my first AR and it's still cool and still fun to shoot.

If I had to have a purpose besides cool and fun to shoot for every gun I own my collection would need to be cut in half.

TriumphGuy
January 27, 2010, 09:51 PM
Where I live, the largest dangerous game animal you're going to see is a coyote, with the very rare report of a black bear. It's illegal to hunt here with a rifle.

Last year, I bought a Marlin 1895G in .45-70. It's accurate for a rifle with an 18" barrel, but nothing fantastic. I could certainly carry it on a hike, but it would turn a coyote into pudding. Kinda overkill.

I bought it because I thought it was cool and I enjoy shooting it. If you want an AR, that's a good enough reason to buy one here in the U. S. of A. (at least for now)

rjrivero
January 27, 2010, 10:05 PM
Because I like to plink like THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHt84hsFtHw

fletchbutt152
January 27, 2010, 10:54 PM
Yup, that's my one and only reason. It's not much of a hunting tool, until I get my Bushy .450 upper, and for targets I'll just shoot my 22LRs.

So, for the high capacity guns, the Mini-14 and AR-15 are all she wrote. That is until I convince Winchester, FN, or Browning to make the SX-AR, FNAR, or like Browning variant of the Long Trac in .270 Winchester or 30-60 Springfield so we can all have super accurate, high capacity gun powerful enough to stop something bigger than a coyote.

Wrothgar
January 28, 2010, 12:41 AM
AR for me!
Because I like to plink like THIS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHt84hsFtHw

Hmmm... one of those guys in those vids had an AK :-).

blume357
January 28, 2010, 06:38 AM
you have the obligation to buy one. :)

Anyone of us that falls in this category should own as many guns as we can afford, this is the only way they will remain available. The AR is on the top of the list.... probably followed by a 1911 and then 12 gage pump shotgun and then 9mm handgun?

darkgael
January 28, 2010, 06:43 AM
Why? I wanted to be able to shoot Service Rifle highpower matches. I also wanted a cartridge that was relatively inexpensive to handload.
Where kept? In the gunsafe.
Usage: These days...range practice for match shooting.

it would be fun to target practice with it. But that is not a reason to buy one.
Sure it is. I can't think of a better reason to buy one
Pete

CRUE CAB
January 28, 2010, 07:42 AM
Got mine because it was a decent deal and I have aways wanted one.
Buddy had one back in the 80s and let me fire it on day at the range.
Got the one I got now in a trade for a atv.
Oh, and just like hot rods you can work on it for hours making it what you want.

LukeA
January 28, 2010, 08:38 AM
Oh, and just like hot rods you can work on it for hours making it what you want.

Just like barbie dolls, too :p

TriumphGuy
January 28, 2010, 08:53 AM
So, for the high capacity guns, the Mini-14 and AR-15 are all she wrote.

DUCK AND COVER!!!!!! SOMEONE SAID "MINI-14" IN A THREAD ABOUT AR's!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding....... mostly.:rolleyes:

Bwana4
January 28, 2010, 11:17 AM
Same said for all the reasons others have posted. Lack of governmental trust, they look great, very ergonomical and fun to shoot. Mine looks just like NY Marksman's , heavier barrel for p-dogs and varmints someday. We can only range shoot these things in NJ. I was also iin your dilemma a year ago debating whether to purchase, and I'm glad I did. Think I'm catching the evil black rifle disease (just got a GSG5)

Slamfire
January 28, 2010, 11:47 AM
The rear sights are good. A NM version is highly accurate.

I got mine to shoot NRA highpower. Now that I have my Distinguished, which I got with my M1a, I have not shot one in years.

You will shoot a better score with one than a M1a, because your rapid fire scores will be higher. This little pop gun hardly has any recoil.

I still shoot space gun in the match rifle category.

But, in the main, I don't care for AR's. Most of all I don't care for the round, then I don't care for the limited access inside the port.

When they jam, and they do, it takes needle nosed pliers to clear the jam, sometimes you have to push the pins out, separate the halves, and then use the pliers to get the round out.

The military pushed the design as far as it would go, but the thing is still dust/dirt sensitive compared to other designs. It has to be well lubricated at all times. I would rather trust my life to something that does not require constant attention.

The AR is only used as a main line battle rifle by the US, and those countries to whom it has been given free, as foreign aid. That ought to give fan boys a clue that it is not the best of its class.

johnwilliamson062
January 28, 2010, 11:50 AM
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=161

johnwilliamson062
January 28, 2010, 11:53 AM
Anyone of us that falls in this category should own as many guns as we can afford, this is the only way they will remain available. The AR is on the top of the list.... probably followed by a 1911 and then 12 gage pump shotgun and then 9mm handgun?
Psh... 9mm Hipoint and a MN rifle more than meet this responsibility.

They are fun. The ergonomics are the best out there as far as I am concerned.
Extremely accurate.
I bought a mini first. I will sell my AR first.

firespectrum
January 28, 2010, 12:32 PM
Judging from your original post, your situation is a little different than mine as you already own multiple firearms but here is why I bought one as a first gun:

1. The battery of arms is already second nature from my military training so any range time is building proficiency, not familiarization. I realize the flaws of the AR design compared to other rifles out there, but I think that being proficient in and intimately knowing your weapon is much more important than having a superior weapon that you aren't proficient in. I just can't spend a lot of time at the range to learn a new system to the point I feel comfortable employing for primary SD. If you have more time + money, this point doesn't apply to you but it's huge for me.

2. Since they are so prolific, it is more likely that parts & ammo will be floating around in a crisis.

3. I can easily change calibers (and therefore role) in the future without buying a new gun by just dropping a different upper reciever on it.

It seems the other reasons I chose it are already mentioned several times so I won't harp on them.

Stevie-Ray
January 28, 2010, 12:45 PM
Target shooting is not a reason to get an AR? I would say it's a far better reason than "just because," and you'll probably hear that a lot from AR owners. My reasons were target shooting, fear of government, modularity, possible home defense, and just because I always wanted one. I now find it will be my front line of defense in my new home, as it differs greatly from the tight confines of my present home. So, I'm a prime example to keep the future in mind as a reason.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/GitchiManitou/poster52967319.jpg?t=1264700064

SR420
January 28, 2010, 01:01 PM
Why get an AR ?

Because everyone else (not me) is getting one.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Gun-Scope-Las-Vegas-Rooftop-KAC-2.jpg

flight954
January 28, 2010, 01:06 PM
Because I can
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/flight954/Liberty%20Silencer%20Shoot%202009/LibertySilencerShoot6.jpg
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/flight954/Liberty%20Silencer%20Shoot%202009/LibertySilencerShoot5.jpg

rjrivero
January 28, 2010, 01:11 PM
Hmmm... one of those guys in those vids had an AK :-).

Yeah. There's no accounting for taste. ;)

warbirdlover
January 28, 2010, 01:14 PM
I would get one if they weren't so damn expensive. Why should they be? Everything is stamped which is the cheapest way to manufacture parts. I think the gun makers are raking in the profits on these things.

oilfieldguy
January 28, 2010, 01:25 PM
for me one of the biggest considerations was in the reloading department. So many more rounds per pound of propellant vs. the larger cartridges I was whipping up. I can go have a very busy day at the range and not have to worry about breaking the bank. And just about every range in the country is littered with good brass so you never need to pay for hulls.

Plus...it's very fun to shoot!

CPTMurdoc30
January 28, 2010, 02:14 PM
Really there is not much that is stamped on an AR. I got mine because I got tired of packin ammo n my pockets while ground hog hunting. This allows me to put up to 30 rounds in 1 mag and shoot half of a day or better with out having to go back to the truck for more ammo.

My biggest reason was

You never know when the dam zombies are coming or how many there is going to be. So better to have an over kill than to be eaten by dam zombies.

Plus it is a rifle that I can work on myself. It is so easy a Caveman can doit.

tirod
January 28, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'm BUILDING an AR because the choices are so extensive. Nothing short of a 1911 has as many vendors. It's an open architecture that can even offer a side charging upper with piston operation, in barrels from 10 to 24 inches, choices of dozens of calibers, and even colors!

Only the stripped lower need go through an FFL, and with a little mechanical work, you can put together a carbine or rifle with the stock, grip, forearm, sights, and flash hider of choice.

The only thing that comes close is a Ruger 10/22 - one source, and they don't sell them stripped.

Another reason is that my tax dollars, and yours, paid me to learn how to use, developed it, got it into production, improved it, loaned me one, gave me thousands of rounds to learn how to shoot it, and even sent me to schools to use it. THANKS!

All the time I was doing that, I personally owned a HK91 which I thought far superior. I finally learned different. I can use the AR for 95% of what the HK can do, carry it longer, shoot more cheaply and more often, and be better with it.

All my other guns are getting sold or gifted. They aren't as fun or useful.

CelticWolf
January 28, 2010, 02:55 PM
Because their is nothing more fun then shoulder bump firing an AR15 at some frozen milk jugs.

mrawesome22
January 28, 2010, 02:55 PM
If you got a little dingaling you have to get one to compensate for it LOL.

And for reference, I do NOT own an AR.:p

TRguy
January 28, 2010, 05:03 PM
warbirdlover typed - I would get one if they weren't so damn expensive. Why should they be? Everything is stamped which is the cheapest way to manufacture parts. I think the gun makers are raking in the profits on these things.

What is stamped? The FCG is MIM typically, the upper and lower are CNC'd forgings and the rare billet cut.

the Bolt and Bolt carrier are definitely not stamped.

AR buffer? Nope.

I can't think of a single part that is stamped. You must not have ever studied any metal work.

CPTMurdoc30
January 28, 2010, 05:20 PM
The duct cover and the buffer tube (Maybe buffer tube).

That is all I know of that is stamped.

Maybe he is mixing up an AR-15 with an M-3 grease gun.

TRguy
January 28, 2010, 05:28 PM
ok dust cover for sure...buffer tube hummmm I dont know

SR420
January 28, 2010, 05:40 PM
I have a COLT receiver extension tube that is forged...

alaskaman94
January 29, 2010, 08:52 PM
personally i think most of us own an AR to feed our MAN EGOS.. it works..... i enjoy mine.. but it turns into a money dump.... the novelty does wear off... ARs are just the fad right now.... im not bashing them by any means......but...

Art Eatman
January 29, 2010, 08:58 PM
I got one, and it's set up pretty good. Added a flat-top upper to stick a scope on. Makes a good truck/varmint gun. Ain't a bad social gun if need be. Not my favorite critter, but it works okay. I guess it's just one of the play-toys, among a fair number thereof...

darkgael
January 30, 2010, 04:18 AM
Hmmm. ARs are just the fad right now...

Y'know....that thought had not occurred to me. I don't know if it's right or wrong as an idea. I have owned an AR for so long now that the current interest just seemed to be natural. I wonder...
Pete

Logs
January 30, 2010, 07:09 AM
I love my AR's. This one is a new build 10.5 barrel AR Pistol.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/moreammoplz/DSC00072.jpg

IXLR8
January 30, 2010, 07:33 AM
After owning an AR for two years, I have only one complaint. The fouling of the bolt just by shooting a few hundred rounds through it. I could understand if the barrel was fouled, or something overheats. I will not buy another AR without a gas piston. The direct gas impingement is not working for me. Right now I am thinking of selling my Bushmaster and getting a POF AR. You don't even have to oil a POF, and they will shoot a 100,000 rounds before a cleaning is required. Of course the Bushmaster ACR is a strong second candidate.
My current AR's bolt begins getting fouled at 200 rounds. Dirty ammo? Maybe, but it is cheap....

Does anyone know a downside to the POF Patriot Ordinance Factory Rifles? (besides cost):o

tju1973
January 30, 2010, 10:03 AM
I bought mine because although I loved my AK, it never felt "right" to me-- SO I took the plunge and put a Stag 2 on layaway-- in the meantime, I got a ridiculous offer for my WASR 10 and 6 mags ($850!?!?) that I could not pass up-- My WASR was flawless, but I couldn't say no-- I then bought a CMMG bargain bin online the same day for $648 shipped.... Now I am trying to consolidate my guns to a few types of ammo-- .223/5.56, 9x19mm, .45ACP, .22LR, and 12ga...I do have several Mosin Nagants, but at $70 or less when I bought them and spam cans for $80-$100, I will hold on to them....

Plus I know the AR-- I carried one and was a PMI in the Marines--- 0331/8531 91-97

TMackey
January 30, 2010, 12:20 PM
I don't own one yet, but will.

Why?

1. I want one.

2. It's a gun, what's not to like. :D

James R. Burke
January 30, 2010, 12:55 PM
Just myself I dont have one "Yet". Folks just have the right to buy what they like for many reasons. Mine are I was in the Army, so that would be kind of cool just for that reason. I reload and just do a bunch or target pratice shooting. Nothing formal just go out work up loads and have fun. If you think you would like one. I would go for it even if its just cool looking, and I think they are. I am like you have pistols for fun, some target stlye, some that just look cool, and some I have because they may go up in price in the future. I have deer rifles for that, and some target ones, and again some that just look cool. I have a few 22 rifles and pistols, some just for fun and small game hunting, and some just to collect because they look cool. Also a few shotguns for birds or some informal clay shooting. I guess that is part of the reason for my reloading, great clean hobby thats fun to do, and you can make the best bullets for the rifle or pistol. Might even save a buck or two but thats not why I do it. Welcome to the forum. You can get lots of info here just by reading some of the posts. I believe there are quite a few pro's on here that are always willing to help. Good luck, and have fun if you do get one! Keep it safe!

TheManHimself
January 30, 2010, 03:56 PM
It's a tool designed for a specific purpose, much like a fire extinguisher or a spare tire. I have one for the same reason I have the other two: I hope I never need to use it for its intended purpose, but if that that specific type of event happens, I would be quite ****ed without one.

fast-eddie
January 30, 2010, 04:02 PM
When I get one it'll be a light Carbine in 6.8. I though that 30 rar looked like a good deal, at first it was said that you could use 5.56 mags. It seemed like a good round until you heard the real dope on it.

gotigers
January 30, 2010, 04:08 PM
I love the ballistics of the 6.8, but the cost of mags and ammo turned me off.

Christian James
February 8, 2010, 03:34 AM
It's the whole forbidden fruit thing. I never really wanted one before, but since the liberal powers that be don't want me to own one I figured that was all the reason I needed.

80viking
February 8, 2010, 07:41 PM
I bought my first one because I could not compete against guys with AR's at IPSC style rifle shoots with an AK-47. As soon as I got my Bushmaster I started kicking butt! Now I own 2 AR's and no AK-47's.

gotigers
February 8, 2010, 08:25 PM
I bought my first one because I could not compete against guys with AR's at IPSC style rifle shoots with an AK-47. As soon as I got my Bushmaster I started kicking butt! Now I own 2 AR's and no AK-47's.

This will start the s#$t flying. lol. The AK guys will soon troll by with flying poo.

Art Eatman
February 8, 2010, 09:37 PM
"The AK guys will soon troll by with flying poo."

Probably hadn't oughta. There are trigger fingers and there are delete-key fingers. Here, the latter is far more powerful.

:D:D:D

kristop64089
February 8, 2010, 10:20 PM
Why did I get mine?
- Paper punching
- Home defense
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/kristop64089/Gun%20Pix/Long%20Guns/100_1541.jpg

I have had many AR's, but with this latest purchase, I made a "grail" purchase.
Nothing against the less expensive AR's, but the quality, and attention to Detail, Daniel Defense puts into their guns, is INCREDIBLE.(especially for the money) This thing was built to run, and I have no doubt it will.

80viking
February 8, 2010, 10:35 PM
RE post #57
Certainly don't want to booger up a good thread like this one.
Please note that its only my opinion.
I also think the AK speaks for itself, it certainly is not a fad.

Dave R
February 8, 2010, 10:56 PM
Be VERY careful about buying an AR.

I put it off for about a decade.

When I finally bought one, it was ONLY 3 WEEKS until I bought my 2nd upper.

And now I'm gonna have to build a new lower, so the new upper doesn't have to share its lower.

I tell, ya, its a VICIOUS cycle.

(and then I'm gonna want one in .204, and then I'm gonna want one in .458, and then I'm gonna want one in 6mm--I can SEE it coming.)

Boats
February 9, 2010, 01:18 PM
I have borrowed one long term and briefly owned one and then flipped it during the great Obama panic.

I don't know that I would have bought it except for that the 2008 election was looking grim that summer. I don't like the design. I don't like the cartridge, and for home defense, the AR generally has an image problem among the sheeple.

And one of its alleged virtues, the availability of reasonably priced ammo, was noisily put to death recently.

Skans
February 9, 2010, 02:16 PM
Why get an AR

I honestly don't know. I bought one many years ago. It sits in my safe - I don't even recall ever firing it. It's a .223 semi-auto -

It's not something I'm ever going to use for home protection
It's not something I'm ever going to hunt anything with
It's certainly not my choice for a Hurricane Katrina type disaster
It's definitely not my SHTF rifle (much prefer AC556 or AK 47)
You know, I don't even like fondling it anymore.

About all its good for is trading fodder.

gotigers
February 9, 2010, 02:38 PM
-I can find plenty of cheap ammo.

-I punch a lot of paper, empty cans, etc.
-I use mine to hunt.
-I will use it if the SHTF.
-I would use it for HD. Why are some local LEO groups switching to it over the 9mm.

would it be my first choice for all of those in seperate instances, no, but it can cover them all.

I love the ergonomics over other similar EBRs.
I like the modular aspect over other similar EBRs.
I like the accuracy over other EBRs.
low recoil
cheaper than a scar, acr, sig, HK, etc.

benroe
February 9, 2010, 03:06 PM
I bought my Stag 2L b/c I love being able to have a lefty semi auto, my bro convinced me that in the case of a zombie attack we should be firing the same ammo/mags, etc... the Stag is a stud, the AR could be on the ban list, the military carries a similar weapon, the high round carrying capability, the lack of recoil, the endless possibilities for mods, the modular build of the rifle, did I mention the impending zombie attack and the endless mods??

NWCP
February 9, 2010, 03:15 PM
I don't own an AR pattern rifle. That said two good reasons to get one is because you can and you want to. I have a .223 in a bolt action so if I were to get an AR type rifle it would be a piston model in .308. I've been waiting to handle HKs new MR762.

benroe
February 9, 2010, 03:41 PM
Whoops, I forgot the pics...

Sixer
February 9, 2010, 04:32 PM
Here's mine :D Seems like it's always a work in progress... but that's part of the fun!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m37/ehopp_2006/Gun%20Stuff/a49958b2.jpg

qwman68
February 9, 2010, 05:23 PM
I havent been an ar fan since i was in the army.. There are alot better weapons out there. Some that are as accurate and some that are more reliable. So, like the op asked '' why get an ar?''...

KChen986
February 9, 2010, 06:02 PM
Accurate, reliable, good ergonomics, plenty of support in terms of parts and training, modular....It's not the best platform, but is a pretty damn good platform.

gotigers
February 9, 2010, 08:24 PM
There are alot better weapons out there

yep and you'll pay for it. $$$$$$

for me it came down to: i could only get one. Many of the more accurate guns are way more expensive. The AK is a great gun, but it isnt as accurate as i would like, it has a lot more recoil and the AR has better ergonomics.

So i balanced all of my wants against price. The value for me was an AR. the key there is "value for me". Get what you want and that you can afford.

Edward429451
February 9, 2010, 08:42 PM
Because not only is it cool and fun to shoot, it makes them nervous that you have one too. It is pretty much a worldwide recognized symbol of Americana, regardless of the debatable efficacy of the cartrige/platform.

...plus all the other reasons already stated.

cole k
February 9, 2010, 09:22 PM
Gentlemen, the only way I would have an AR15 in it original chambering, is if someone gave me one. Over 40 years ago the U. S Army took away my M14 and gave me the M16 and I have never forgiven them for that.
I guess if you have never known anything better, you would think it is great.

Skans
February 10, 2010, 09:20 AM
Gentlemen, the only way I would have an AR15 in it original chambering, is if someone gave me one. Over 40 years ago the U. S Army took away my M14 and gave me the M16 and I have never forgiven them for that.
I guess if you have never known anything better, you would think it is great.

My thoughts exactly. Recycled beercan mouse-guns get the low bid over the forged/milled steel man-killer. Still, I can understand the usefullness of an M16 - accurate, light weight, high ammo capacity, and full-auto tends to make up for the inadequate power of the 5.56. Basically, it's really not much different than a Tommy-Gun. Arguably, longer range, but not necessarily all that effective at longer ranges.

A para-military semi-auto 5.56 rifle makes no sense to me, other than they "look cool". If it's got to be semi-auto, why would you ever go with 5.56? That goes for the Sig 556 and FN SCAR as well - no real difference.

christcorp
February 10, 2010, 09:45 AM
The OP asked to be convinced why to buy an AR or WHY NOT to buy an AR. I think pretty much all of the responses have been pretty much why to buy an AR. I will go the other direction.

I was in the same boat and questioning whether to buy one or not. I thought that .223 is pretty inexpensive to shoot; especially $4.50 a box for russian steel case ammunition. Plus; not that I believe in zombies or SHTF scenarios, but if such a scenario did arise, it would be nice to have a .223. Mind you I keep mentioning a .223 and not an AR.

That's because I could not justify why I would spend $800-$1000 for a low-mid end AR when I definitely didn't need one. I could afford it no problem. I've got guns that cost twice that amount. But I'm not financially in the position I am buy buying things just to have. But most times, guns are for fun, and it costs money for fun too.

So, I decided to get a Saiga .223. It's an AK-47 style rifle that's chambered in .223. I get the fun and availability of the .223 caliber. I get the reliability and dependability of an AK-47. I don't need 200+ yard tournament accuracy, so the argument of the AR being more accurate, I just throw out the window. But what I can say, is that I have a great shooting .223, that can't be dogged in any way, and it cost less than $400. And that's brand new, manufactured by the same company and factory that Russia makes their military AK-47 in. They simply make this version for import. So, I get the best of all worlds, and I save $400-$600.

In a "Practical" environment, there is absolutely nothing that the AR in .223 can do that my Saiga .223 can't do. Not one thing. If you're into the tournaments, then get the AR. If you're against non-USA rifles, then get the AR. (But be careful; even Springfield Armory 1911A1 pistols aren't made in the USA. Same with some AR's and parts). But, if you want the advantages of the .223; the fun of a .223; the reliability/dependability of an AK-47; the possible use in case of a SHTF scenario; etc.... then get a Saiga in .223. And, if you want to invest $100 extra; you can even put in an adapter to allow it to shoot AR-15/M16 magazines. So in my opinion; the AR is just not worth the extra money. I can get all the accessories for the saiga as an AR fan can for theirs. Even the majority of parts are directly interchangeable between a regular AK-47 and the saiga. And with the .223 version; they actually use the 7.62x39 barrel and bore it for .223. Which almost gives you the benefit of a heavy barrel. Can't go wrong. Buy the Saiga; not the AR.

hartlock
February 10, 2010, 12:36 PM
Guys, here's my take on the ar-15. Even Eugene Stoner didnt think this rifle was his finest hour in rifle design. He came out with another design, the ar-18, that used piston driven bolt, and made our of stamped STEEL. Some on here crow about the fact that the ar-15 is made from FORGED aluminum! so what? it is ALUMINUM, folks! a very soft metal. The main reason the ar-15 was adopted by the armed forces, was Politics! Colt firearms was accused by
in the early 60's of twisting arms and such to get the contract to build these things. Eugene Stoner even designed an arms system built around the ar-18 and was rejected by the government. What im trying to say is, I dont believe we got the best rifle design to replace the m-14, that we could have if we had listened to Eugend Stoner in the first place. By the way, I have owned an original Colt ar-15 and didnt much care for it. Just my 2 cents worth from a lifetime of shooting.

Ridge_Runner_5
February 10, 2010, 02:28 PM
Home defense mode:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/cb05c7e2.jpg

Paper punching mode:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/968e2f91.jpg

mrawesome22
February 10, 2010, 11:05 PM
it makes them nervous that you have one too.
I've thought about getting one for this reason alone. Ya know, break it out when my cousin's wife is around and say stuff like "This "weapon" will go through ten cops and keep on going!";) Other than that, I think there are far better self defense options, namely the 12 gauge with 00 buck. And I got lots of long range bolt guns, so.... don't really need one. I'd surely buy one if a hell of a deal came across. As someone said before, it is a gun. LOL

KAK
February 10, 2010, 11:20 PM
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/kyleandrewkeegan/IMG_0192.jpg?t=1265861870

Since turned into this:

http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss133/kyleandrewkeegan/IMG_0204.jpg?t=1265861906

It will be getting:
Trijicon Reflex
CMMG 22 conversion
Vortex Flash suppressor
Timney 3lb trigger
BCM gunfighter charging handle

TheManHimself
February 10, 2010, 11:35 PM
To Hartlock:

Actually, the AR-18 was built the way it was because Armalite wanted to produce a cheap 5.56 carbine for export sales AFTER they had sold the AR-15 design to Colt. Stoner was tasked with designing such a rifle without infringing on the patents then owned by Colt; i.e. it had to be dissimilar to the AR-15. Stamped sheet steel was chosen for the receivers because it was cheaper to manufacture and didn't provoke patent infringement lawsuits like a forged aluminum receiver would have. Forged 7075T6 aluminum is actually very strong, despite it's weight. Given that the Marines have a practice of using the M16A4 rifle as a step (Two Marines hold the rifle while a third stands on it, to aid in climbing an obstacle or into a high window) without breaking it, the forged aluminum receiver is as strong as it needs to be. A steel receiver just adds weight.

Skans
February 11, 2010, 08:13 AM
For the price of an AR15, I could purchase a PTR-91 (HK 91 Clone). This is a much more effective rifle in semi-auto. Someone is even making a 50 round drum for it (expensive). The best thing about the PTR-91 is it's way more "evil" looking than the AR15.:D