PDA

View Full Version : Williams peep sight on a levergun

Erratic
January 26, 2010, 11:12 PM
Hey folks. I have a marlin guide gun that I put a williams peep sight on last year. It came with a new front sight with a red dot in it. I dont have a front sight tool so I figured I would just bring it to the shop and have them do it. Anyway, in the mean time I have since lost the replacement front sight. Does it really matter? I seem to remember that it was a bit taller maybe. Should I buy a new one and have it installed or just shoot it? I've only shot it a couple of times like this and I don't recall having any issues. Whatcha think? Thanks.

jlbpa
January 26, 2010, 11:29 PM
When I put a williams fp peep sight on my mid 70's marlin 336 I had to buy a taller from sight. I bought it from brownells. It was very similar to the original front sight except a little taller. It just has the plain old brass bead. I prefer the precision of a bead compared to a new fangled fibre optic front sight.

the rifleer
January 26, 2010, 11:53 PM
I think that if you don't have problems then don't worry about it... If it ain't broke don't fix it. :)

K8vf
January 27, 2010, 12:13 AM
What I do is to line up the peep with the sight picture using the old iron sights(assuming it was adjusted properly) and I am pretty much good to go.

Then flip down the rear blade, or remove it necessary.

Now, if the peep cannot be adjusted to the rear blade (if properly adjusted), then a new front blade is required.

Worked on My 1972 Win Model 94.

I have done similar in the past(before lasers) when mounting a scope if the iron sights were properly adjusted.
Clamp the gun down, sight with iron sights on a target, then adjust scope to corresponding spot.

Minor adjustments needed after that.

Mark

ronto
January 27, 2010, 06:31 PM
If there's no problem...There's no problem.