PDA

View Full Version : .50 cal Bushmaster?

cycleguru
January 26, 2010, 07:43 PM
I just read on Fox's website that a man arrested in VA was carrying a .223 Bushmaster that had been altered to fire .50 cal ammo. Is this possible?? I'm not a rifle guy, but this seems a little outrageous.

Archie
January 26, 2010, 07:57 PM
It is a 50 caliber bullet and a casing designed with a rebated rim. It is not the same as 50 BMG. Google it.

By the way, the '37 mm grenade launcher' is in fact a flare and smoke launcher. One could concievably make grenades for it, but it would require rather special equipment and knowledge. Not to mention risky.

By the way, the man (Woodson?) also carried a checked keffiyeh, the traditional middle eastern head cloth so favored by the late Yassar Arafat. Check the Fox News website.

ADB
January 26, 2010, 08:08 PM
They probably mean he had an AR with a .50 Beowulf or .50 BMG upper on it. Because the parts are all modular you can do that sort of thing and create what's effectively a different gun out of the base of your current one and a new assembly.

hogdogs
January 26, 2010, 08:16 PM
I think they stated the rifle was an AR-15 converted to .50 cal so I think it would be the .50 beowulf or other similar cartridge. I may be mistaken but I don't know of any .50BMG AR platform uppers... I think it would require a stronger action like the Barret line up.
Brent

C Philip
January 26, 2010, 08:25 PM
There are 50 bmg single shot uppers. Here is one example: http://www.tactilite.com/

Don H
January 26, 2010, 08:31 PM
http://ferret50.com/ferret50_conversion.html

http://www.50bmg.net/

http://www.watsonsfirearms.com/809/818.html

http://www.tactilite.com/

And many more...

LukeA
January 26, 2010, 09:03 PM
It's much more likely that it was a .50 Beowulf than a .50 BMG.

"Oh god my ears! Now stop moving while I pop out this takedown pin and unscrew the 30 turns of threads in the bolt to reload!"

MosinM38
January 26, 2010, 11:35 PM
It's much more likely that it was a .50 Beowulf than a .50 BMG.

"Oh god my ears! Now stop moving while I pop out this takedown pin and unscrew the 30 turns of threads in the bolt to reload!"

HAHAHAHHAHHAA *Takes breath* HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.

I'm remembering that one :D

But yeah, .50 Beowulf.

I particularly liked the part where "A Assault rifle rechambered to .50 caliber, capable of firing rounds to destroy a house".....Umm.. Anythying can destroy a house....given enough rounds.

Couple million rounds, my .22 can destroy a house.

As for the "Rocket Launcher"....I don't know...anyone know if it was a demilled tube he picked up somewhere?

cycleguru
January 27, 2010, 01:20 PM
Well, OK. Now I know. Thanks.

azredhawk44
January 27, 2010, 01:40 PM
Link to story?

Can't find it.

Chipperman
January 27, 2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,583912,00.html

Man Arrested After Weapons, Map of U.S. Military Facility Seized From N.J. Motel Room
Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Lloyd Woodson.
Authorities in central New Jersey seized a cache of weapons and ammunition including rifles, a grenade launcher and a night vision scope from the motel room of a Virginia man arrested early Monday by officers responding to a report of a suspicious person, MyFoxDC.com reported.

Somerset County Prosecutor Wayne Forrest said Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, of Reston, Va., also had maps of a U.S. military facility and a town in another state.

The federal government says the map was of the U.S. Army's Fort Drum base in upstate New York.

Court papers do not say whether he was believed to be planning an attack on Fort Drum or anywhere else.

Woodson served for a time in the Navy in the 1980s or 90s, but it's not immediately clear whether he has any connection to the fort.

Forrest said Woodson was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle concealed under his green, military-style jacket when officers encountered him at a Quick Chek store in Branchburg shortly before 4 a.m. Monday.

As officers started to question him, Woodson fled on foot toward a nearby trailer park, Forrest said. Officers found him hiding in some bushes and tackled him when he tried to run away again. The officers used pepper spray to subdue him.

Forrest said the .223-caliber assault rifle that Woodson was carrying had a defaced serial number and had been altered to fire .50-caliber ammunition.

Detectives later searched the room where Woodson had been staying at the Red Mill Inn in Branchburg. Forrest said they seized another Bushmaster .308-caliber semiautomatic rifle with a defaced serial number, a 37 mm Cobray grenade launcher, a second bulletproof vest, a Russian-made night vision scope, a police scanner, a map of a U.S. military installation and a map of an out-of-state civilian community, a Middle Eastern red and white colored traditional headdress and hundreds of rounds of .50-caliber and .308-caliber ammunition.

Woodson is being held at the Somerset County Jail on numerous charges, including unlawful possession of weapons, possession of prohibited weapons, obstruction of justice and resisting arrest.

Woodson was also convicted of a weapons offense in 1997 in New York.

Forrest said investigators from the FBI and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives have joined the investigation.

The FBI issued a statement: "Presently, there does not appear to be a link to terrorism; Woodson does not appear to have a link to any known terrorist groups, nor a specific terrorist plot. However, the matter is still under investigation and these should only be considered preliminary findings. It is possible that Mr. Woodson could face federal gun charges, but that has yet to be determined. At this time, the matter is being worked as a state case out of the Somerset County Prosecutor's Office."

Police ask anyone with information to contact Somerset County Crime Stoppers’ Tip Line at 1-888-577-8477.

Click here for more from MyFoxDC.com.

His weapons had defaced SNs which is in itself a crime. It also mentions that he has had prior weapons convictions, so he may be prohibited from possessing any.

azredhawk44
January 27, 2010, 02:32 PM
Forrest said Woodson was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a semiautomatic Bushmaster rifle concealed under his green, military-style jacket when officers encountered him at a Quick Chek store in Branchburg shortly before 4 a.m. Monday.

As officers started to question him, Woodson fled on foot toward a nearby trailer park, Forrest said. Officers found him hiding in some bushes and tackled him when he tried to run away again. The officers used pepper spray to subdue him.

Those are either very brave, or very stupid, officers.:eek::D

PEPPER SPRAY against a guy with a concealed .50 semiauto rifle (probably .50 beowulf), hiding in the bushes. Sheesh.

Chipperman
January 27, 2010, 02:49 PM
Apparently they decided he was reluctant to use the rifle when he ran away instead of shooting at them.

Still amazing to think the Cops did not shoot him.

Bartholomew Roberts
January 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
Detectives later searched the room where Woodson had been staying at the Red Mill Inn in Branchburg. Forrest said they seized another Bushmaster .308-caliber semiautomatic rifle with a defaced serial number, a 37 mm Cobray grenade launcher, a second bulletproof vest, a Russian-made night vision scope

All he needed was a Chinese green laser, and I would have bet money it was Gecko45....

McClintock
January 27, 2010, 03:51 PM
In the immortal words of MosinM38:

HAHAHAHHAHHAA *Takes breath* HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA.

Oh, my sides! Stop it! :D *tears running down face from laughter*

Mr. Roberts, you are hilarious! I haven't laughed like that in ages! Thanks for that, much appreciated. :)

Cheers!
McClintock

Chipperman
January 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
Where are the duct-taped trauma plates and shoes for walking up walls?

attila787
January 27, 2010, 04:35 PM
I vote 458 socom.

uncyboo
January 28, 2010, 01:29 PM
Those are either very brave, or very stupid, officers.

There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity.....:D

MosinM38
January 28, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hmmm...Maybe the elusive overseer of all sheeple has finally been taken in? He was probably on an undercover assignment with an assumed aliase....

garvick
February 13, 2010, 12:27 AM
hey guys i'm new to the site and was wondering if any of y'all could help me out with some questions about scopes and the 50bmg.any help would be great.

CK_32
February 13, 2010, 01:27 AM
Man this is popping up all over.
And its not as bad as the news says.

The news is as knowledgeable as a bias high school
English teacher. Half the things they say are either
out of context or just wrong. Like all these new fads
and sports they talk about.. Are always sports
and fads that have been around for years and give
half the story like a tabloid to get more ratings

Chipperman
February 13, 2010, 10:00 AM
garvik, start another thread with your question. It will get lost in this thread.

kx592
February 13, 2010, 11:47 AM
I posted that a couple weeks ago but no one really had an answer :rolleyes:

garvick
February 14, 2010, 08:36 PM
this might be a dumb question but could someone tell me as to how i start a new thread.I CAN'T FOR THE LIFE OF ME FIGURE IT OUT AND IT IS BOTHERING ME

MMcfpd
February 14, 2010, 10:39 PM
While I'm inclined to agree, based on this:

...the .223-caliber assault rifle...had been altered to fire .50-caliber ammunition.

that is was most likely a .50 Beowulf upper, Bushmaster does make a .50 BMG BA50 (http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_military_BCW3M_22-50BMGLW.asp?zoom_highlight=%2E50+BMG) based on the AR-15 lower design.

bcarver
February 15, 2010, 02:20 AM
bushmaster makes both but I don't think you can hide the 50 bmg under a coat.