PDA

View Full Version : mounting a 2-7x33 on my browning x-bolt long action

micksis86
January 26, 2010, 05:51 PM
This rifle is my first long action so i've never encounterd this problem before.
I am trying to mount a leupold VX1 2-7x33 scope on my browning x-bolt in 270 win. But i can't mount it far back enough for proper eye relief, i run out of scope. Can anyone suggest a way or product that i can use to get the scope further back? Or should I get a larger scope? I'd rather not get a larger scope as I think that the 2-7 is more than adequate for a 270 deer rifle.

zoomie
January 26, 2010, 05:53 PM
What base and rings are you trying?

micksis86
January 26, 2010, 05:55 PM
They're leupold two peice bases and rings. The ones with the windage adjusting screws on the rear base.

GeauxTide
January 26, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yep, different bases and mounts.

zoomie
January 26, 2010, 06:00 PM
Few options...

A one piece base might extend farther aft than your two piece does right now. That way you could put the rear ring closer to your eye. And a one piece would also not tie your hands for the placement of the front right.
Talley one piece rings I think can be reversed to give you 1/4" here or there to adjust eye relief. Don't buy them based off my statement, but maybe call them if they look like something you'd like.

micksis86
January 26, 2010, 06:18 PM
That was the option i was considering. Will one piece bases affect the ejection of cases? I would assume it wouldn't but just checking.

fisherman66
January 26, 2010, 06:52 PM
Some ring makers offer extended rings that move the scope back between 1/4 and 1/2 and inch. They are not lightweight affairs, but they work.

I'm a little surprised you are having this problem if the scope in question is the VX-II 2-7x33. That scope has more eye-relief than almost anything else out there. Is it possible that the LOP is too long?

Doyle
January 26, 2010, 07:04 PM
Leupold makes extended rings to match those dovetail bases.

bigwrench
January 26, 2010, 07:11 PM
Where are you running out of scope? Ring hitting the front "bell" of scope or ring hitting in the middle of scope at elevetion/windage adjusment? Front mount is usually reversable, and even though it will partialy cover ejection port with mount placed with ring behind mount screws, there is not an issue with ejecting spent shells, and only sometimes an issue with ejecting non fired rounds.

fisherman66
January 26, 2010, 07:17 PM
One quick addition to the extended ring thing. You can usually get a single extended ring or two extended rings. If you are only running tight on one leg of the scope it would save several ounces to just mount a single exention ring.

micksis86
January 26, 2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks for all the input guys.
The bell of my scope is hitting the front mount so i can't get it back any further. The length of pull is a standard 13.5" I think and i have long arms so length of pull shouldn't really be a problem. I'm just finding that in hte middle of the power range i can't get a full view of the sight picture, not even close.
I'll ring my local gun store and see what they recommend.

Doyle
January 27, 2010, 08:33 AM
You need Leupold extend rings in either medium or tall height. That will raise your scope enough for the bell to clear the base.