PDA

View Full Version : Help with an old Mauser, please

allen_sewell
January 26, 2010, 12:56 AM
i have a 7mm mauser with a herters barrel the action is custom i am told and want to know where i can find a stock for it and would really like to know how much it is worth any imput is appreciated

mapsjanhere
January 26, 2010, 08:13 AM
Pictures are worth a thousand words in this case. To pick the right stock we'd need to know if it's a small ring or large ring Mauser (assuming it's a 98 system). Also if the barrel is the standard military contour or some other standard shape for which you can buy a drop-in stock. As for value, a standard barreled Mauser action in good shape will bring around 200 - 300 on Gunbroker, 500 for a top grade barrel newly installed by a known maker into an identifiable action.

Jimro
January 26, 2010, 12:41 PM
Herters imported commercial large ring M98's. Without pics I'm going to guess that there are no distinguishing marks on the action, that it is a "clean" commercial m98 action.

Prior to 1968 it was pretty common to have the Company identification AND any firearms serial numbers stamped into the barrel, not the action, for imported m98's.

Jimro

Olympus
January 26, 2010, 04:29 PM
If you're looking for a stock, check Boyd's.

sc928porsche
January 26, 2010, 04:31 PM
You can also get a stock from Richards Microfit. You have a lot more variety of styles and grades.