PDA

View Full Version : rust prevent/gun oil

preston897
January 25, 2010, 02:17 AM
i refinished the rear housing on my sks with blue wonder gun black. i followed the directions and everything. the last direction was to spray a rust preventative onto it. the instructions said not to use rem oil (only part i didnt follow) i figured this was because it just to get you to buy more of their products. about a week later i grab my sks and the rear housing is orange. i took 0000 steel wool to it and the rust went away. my question is what is a very good rust prevent and oil to put on this type of stuff?

zoomie
January 25, 2010, 02:19 AM
Eezox.

preston897
January 25, 2010, 02:20 AM
is that a spray or a paste?

zoomie
January 25, 2010, 02:22 AM
Liquid. Aerosol or pour.

preston897
January 25, 2010, 02:45 AM
i just looked it up online. is it a common item in stores or is it somthing that i should order?

olyinaz
January 25, 2010, 02:45 AM
Barricade by Birchwood Casey

Oly

zoomie
January 25, 2010, 02:50 AM
i just looked it up online. is it a common item in stores or is it somthing that i should order?
I've never seen it in a store. I get it from Midway.

preston897
January 25, 2010, 02:53 AM
do you guys think rem oil is as good as some people say? what about using one of those silicone impregnated clothes?

10-96
January 25, 2010, 06:54 AM
An honest to goodnes good rust-proof can be found down in the "I Can't Poop" section of Walmart's pharmacy area... plain old mineral oil.

AK103K
January 25, 2010, 07:32 AM
I'll second Eezox. Its been the best I've found so far at keeping rust away, on anything I've used it on. In most of the tests I've seen online, its usually #1 at the end of the test. Its also a lubricant.

You can get it direct from here....

http://www.eezox.com/

I usually buy it by the quart and put it in a spray bottle. The little bottle with the long, needle type tip is also very handy.

Kawabuggy
January 25, 2010, 12:50 PM
Is Eezox like an oil, or does it dry and leave a protective film? I've found that oils generally wipe off from coming in contact with clothing while hunting, or on the foam inside the hard cases during travel. I would like something that will dry leaving a tough rust resistant finish that is not going to wipe off easily.

On my blued guns, I have been degreasing them with carb cleaner (don't get it on wood finishes!), and then putting on car wax and letting it dry and then wiping it off. This has proven to be very durable in regards to rust prevention. But requires quite a bit of prep work to get the metal fully degreased to a point where the wax will stick.

If I could find something that I could just wipe on, and leave to dry, and then reapply over the existing layer that would be great.

Brian Pfleuger
January 25, 2010, 12:52 PM
I third Eezox.

It is a lubricant, rust preventative and cleaner.

It is the best gun care product that I have ever tried.

AK103K
January 25, 2010, 02:13 PM
Here, this should answer your questions....

http://www.eezox.com/faqs.html

swcr
January 25, 2010, 03:37 PM
In like LPS 3. It comes in a spray can and I just spray a little on a patch and rub it on. It's available in almost all hardware and auto parts stores. It sprays on and then dries to a waterproof waxy film. I use it on all my blued hunting rifles that are used almost exclusively in the rain and snow in Western Washington. I also use it on all my guns before storing them in the safe.

Eugene

preston897
January 25, 2010, 04:10 PM
i just bought a can of breakfree CLP to try. it was cheap at academy. have you guys ever tried it? if that does no good im gonna get the eezox

dgludwig
January 25, 2010, 04:29 PM
CLP, in both of its forms, is good stuff.

warbirdlover
January 26, 2010, 12:25 AM
I don't know what the best is but the worst is WD-40. After a short time it gets gummy and sticky. Worst "lubricant" ever made.

dgludwig
January 26, 2010, 01:05 PM
I agree. I used to use the stuff all the time-until I examined the hard-to-see innards of some of my firearms and saw first-hand what WD-40 does when left "unattended". A hardened, gummy mess! I still use it sometimes to wipe down the exterior surfaces of my guns when nothing else is available but never again will it be squirted/sprayed into an internal mechanism of a firearm.

And, watch out warbirdlover-you may have inadvertently lit a firestorm. The subject of WD-40 is no stranger to the forums and the stuff has its ardent advocates.

AK103K
January 26, 2010, 01:38 PM
I used WD40 for many years, and never had any troubles with it. I dont use it now with my guns, knives, etc, simply because I think Eezox is a better product for what I'm using it for.

I think a lot of the problem with WD40 is, how its used. I never had the gumming or varnish others talk about, but then again, I didnt load the gun up with it and allow it to just lay in there. I think if used sparingly, it works well, and I still use it if something takes a dunk, just to drive out moisture. It also still has plenty of uses around the house too.

warbirdlover
January 26, 2010, 02:06 PM
Just ordered some eezox. Sounds like great stuff.

dgludwig
February 7, 2010, 06:40 PM
Try it and let us know how it worked out. I always try to stay up on the latest developments with solvents, lubricants and preservatives.

JR_Roosa
February 7, 2010, 10:38 PM
I love the stuff...just cleaned all my pistols with it a few minutes ago, but...

It eats some plastics like nobody's business.

It smells like my grandmother's makeup.

It will leave a tacky varnish if you let it pool and dry inside, but not nearly as nasty as WD-40 (which was one of my dad's favorite gun oils, when I got his guns you should have seen the crud inside, but the outsides were beautiful!)

It will spoil you rotten when you get clean patches after two cycles of wet patch/dry patch.

I use the can to drip onto patches and Q-tips and the spray can to spray the whole outside of the gun. I let the guns dry for a few minutes and wipe off the rest with a rag. Then I use a thin film of waterproof wheel bearing grease for surfaces that slide against each other.

Eezox is awesome stuff.

-J.

jman841
February 7, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have not used Eezox but Breakfree CLP I believe is the same stuff that the military uses and i have never had any problems with it. It went through some pretty impressive testing to get the military contract.

KevinBeyerJr
February 7, 2010, 10:49 PM
Swcr:
In like LPS 3. It comes in a spray can and I just spray a little on a patch and rub it on. It's available in almost all hardware and auto parts stores. It sprays on and then dries to a waterproof waxy film. I use it on all my blued hunting rifles that are used almost exclusively in the rain and snow in Western Washington. I also use it on all my guns before storing them in the safe.

I am almost with you there, but I prefer LPS 2, it is so much easier to clean off than LPS 3.

madcratebuilder
February 8, 2010, 08:21 AM
Eezox for smokeless and Ballistol for black powder.