PDA

View Full Version : Best factory round for .300 WM?

jdperry88
January 24, 2010, 01:07 PM
I would like to pick brains about the most accurate long range factory round for a .300WM.

Thanks

noyes
January 24, 2010, 01:16 PM
Depends on Your rifle . Try several different brands & types of ammo to see which shoots the most accurate out of Your rifle.

MY rifle Browning with B.O.S.S , Loves Hornady 165 gr. SST interlock.

Oilburner350
January 24, 2010, 02:02 PM
If I was serious about long distance I would be looking into reloading.

Abel
January 24, 2010, 02:12 PM
Factory loads differ from rifle to rifle. Black Hills Match HP in 190 has a good reputation as an accurate factory load. But that's not a hunting load. What is your intended use of this ammo?

jdperry88
January 24, 2010, 04:52 PM
Primarily target shooting. May hunt some with it, but it is pretty long and heavy for hunting around central Texas.

.300 Weatherby Mag
January 24, 2010, 04:58 PM
The best factory round is whatever your gun likes best...

IDAHO83501
January 24, 2010, 05:06 PM
Central Texas huh??? Maybe the new Hornady Superformance 150 gr.,,,You can really reach out with that load as long as YOUR rifle shoots it well :D

Leadman
January 24, 2010, 06:45 PM
Black Hills 190 gr. Match..............DUH!
If your wanting to a steel plate at 500+, you need to elaborate your question some more.
Rifle?
Use?
Distance? (other than long range)
You will get a little more info if you don't mind.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
January 24, 2010, 11:11 PM
RELOAD, or attach yourself to someone who does!!!!!!!!!!!!

With my current 300wm, I am having great results with the 165gr. Nosler partition.

As people had already indicated, each rifle is a law unto itself, and as such may or may not shoot the same load well, as as another rifle of the same make and caliber.

Why am I shooting a 165gr bullet in a 300 win. mag. ??

A very good question, as it a departure from my normal practices of using 180or 200gr. Noslers.

However, I had a browning A-bolt with a very bad barrel - looked like it had been rifled with a threading tap - and no matter what I tried it would not group well or consitantly.

Finally, I settled on the 165gr Nosler Partition because it just seemed to make the best of a bad situation.

With the replacement rifle, a RUGER Hawkeye, I have found the best load found for the browning, to shoot much better and do so consistently.

However, the real good news is, the barrel on the RUGER is everything the browning barrel was not, and with some test loads it resently shot a 3 shot group just a tad over 5/8" and at a velocity of just over 3000fps.

This rifle just happens to shoot at the upper end of the expected vel. range, but over the years I have found more often then not, my rifles to be on the slow side and equal to the book listings if I was very lucky.

Because of the quality/integraty found in the Nosler partition, I will continue to shoot up my stash of those 165gr. bullets during my hunts for deer, elk, moose or bear and continue to enjoy/expect the great results already provided.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

b12alex
January 25, 2010, 04:20 PM
i have a savage and i works great with winchester ACCU-BOND

James R. Burke
January 25, 2010, 05:55 PM
I agree with Oilburner350 reloading would be the way to get the best.

Big Bill
January 25, 2010, 09:28 PM
My 300 WSM loves Federal Fusion 180 gr. Excellent ammo.