PDA

View Full Version : Newb question.

jj05
January 23, 2010, 09:07 AM
Ok I have seen this term used a few times in this forum but I have no idea what " co-whitness " means. Can anyone explaine?

Bud Helms
January 23, 2010, 12:06 PM
You probably mean co-witness?

firespectrum
January 23, 2010, 12:50 PM
That's when you mount an optic on a rifle so that the iron sights of the rifle are still visible through the optic. Usually done with red dot / holographic optics with no or very little magnification. This way you can use either the irons or the optic without having to move or adjust anything.

oif-vet
January 23, 2010, 01:07 PM
That's when you mount an optic on a rifle so that the iron sights of the rifle are still visible through the optic. Usually done with red dot / holographic optics with no or very little magnification. This way you can use either the irons or the optic without having to move or adjust anything.

Close enough, might I add that in the case of red dot/holo sights you will always see the front sight thru the optic. Unless it is a BUIS that is in the down position. Co-witness is a procedure used to align the reticle exactly with the front sight. This will get you on target however the optic should still be zeroed seperately. For example, Rock river arms sells a Eotech Dominater mount that will give you a lower third (of the eotech)sight picture through the irons compared to the dot. This is not co-witness. Hope this helps.

firespectrum
January 23, 2010, 01:32 PM
you will always see the front sight thru the optic

90% of the time, but I've seen optics mounted on top of carry handles where obviously the front sight is not visible.

jborushko
January 23, 2010, 01:33 PM
on my main AR i have a red dot that is inline with my iron sights for "night use" ----in co-witness fashion

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww141/once_with_words/co-witness.jpg

dont worry about that cover over the recital, or the carry handle rail... both are long gone --

i use it this way in case there is not enough light to see the front post

oif-vet
January 23, 2010, 02:25 PM
90% of the time, but I've seen optics mounted on top of carry handles where obviously the front sight is not visible.

That is not Co-witness.

firespectrum
January 23, 2010, 06:30 PM
That is not Co-witness. No it's not, I wasn't saying that it was, just that the assertion that you will ALWAYS see the front sight is fallacious. So bottom line, co-witness is actually aligning the reticule with the front sight post. I just zero my irons, then zero my optic and it just ends up that way. In vernacular usage (how people talk in general), people tend to mean by co-witnessing that the front sight is visible through the optic - depending on the setup this may or may not be technically correct but that's how you'll hear it in conversation on the range. Now you can be that guy that say, "no, that's not REALLY co-witness".

oif-vet
January 23, 2010, 11:20 PM
What I was saying is that when you have your weapon set up for co-witness you WILL always see the front sight thru the optic. That was the topic of discussion. If I hear guys on the range using improper terminology I will be that guy to offer to explain why it is not. Shooting and reloading are my passion and learning from others is why people like me come to this forum. I did not mean to shoot down your explanation. I was just trying to help. Good luck and happy shooting firespectrum.