View Full Version : Transport question

November 5, 2009, 04:21 PM
I have three suppressors and one SBR.

I just recently moved to VA and put through the paperwork to legally bring them with me for a permanent address change.

Now, I live close to the MD border and all my long time clubs I belong to are in MD. I generally decide to shoot last minute during the week since I work irregular hours and mostly on weekends.

My question is, in order to take my SBR and suppressors to the ranges I use, will I have to plan out my trips a month in advance and do the paperwork every single time I want to go shooting?

Are there different regs for the suppressor and the SBR?

Is there any way to get some kind of blanket paperwork that will allow me to transport these items anytime I want over the course of say 6 months or so at a time in order to limit paperwork?


Willie Lowman
November 5, 2009, 05:24 PM
Fill out a form for each of your SBR that is dated 12 months beginning to end.

11-6-2009 to 11-6-2010. That way your form is good for a year. At the end of next year, do it again.

I don't think you need to do paperwork to temporarily take suppressors or AOW across state lines.

November 5, 2009, 08:02 PM
Yes, you submit two copies of form 5320.20 for the items you wish to transport to another state. You can enter a date of effect of up to one year. Multiple items can be listed on the forms. You don't need to list suppressors but can if it makes you feel more comfortable. Each pair of forms that you submit is only good for one destination. If you want to go to multiple locations in another state you need to submit a pair of forms for each location. You can submit forms for several destinations in one envelope.

November 6, 2009, 02:44 AM
So if I have two ranges in MD, I can just fill out one form for one range and one for the other and put the two dates on each form a year apart and they will go for that? Then I can just take them back and forth whenever I want?