View Full Version : .223 suppressor

September 21, 2009, 05:23 AM
Looking for some oppinions on a good cost effective .223 ar-15 can.

I havent bought one before and know virtually nothing about them, except that I want one. I plan on having it on a 10.5inch upper but may use it on other AR platforms from 7 inch to 20 inch.

I have been looking mainly at the YHM line but have no preference on brand.

Mainly looking for a good starter suppressor at lowest cost possible (all future gun related purchases now have to go thru the wifey)

Is there much of a market in the used suppressors department? what to watch out for?

Anyone know of a dealer in the dallas ft. worth area where I could go take a look at some? or even better test fire with them?

Thanks in advance for the input!

September 21, 2009, 07:27 AM
10.5" is about as short as you want to go, most don't waranty with a 7".
I use RCS Unlimited 972-924-2370. A bit more of a drive for me but really good deals.

September 21, 2009, 09:42 PM
The YHM can is an excellent choice. A quality product for a reasonable price. Consider the QD mount/flash hider for ease in moving it from gun to gun.

The run fine on barrels down to 7 inch.

David Hineline
September 22, 2009, 01:09 AM
Using a silencer on a pistol length barrel is brutal abuse, you are not going to be able to get by with beginner low bidder silencer, you need quality.

YHM is a good silencer, AAC product tougher, don't go cheaper than those for short barrel.

There is little used market demand for a product that needs a $200 tax when they can buy the same new product any day for the same $200 tax.

If you try and sell a silencer across state lines there is $400 in tax so they really have no value.

Might want to upgrade the wife instead.

September 22, 2009, 01:24 AM
im sure upgrading the wife would end up costing me a lot more:D

September 23, 2009, 04:22 AM
ok so if i order one online from yhm, or call them to order, do they ship it to an FFL and they hold onto it untill the paperwork goes through? or how does all that work since i have to have the serial # for the paperwork but cant take possesion until after i get it back...?:confused:

September 23, 2009, 09:53 AM
For the process - talk to your local NFA dealer. They can walk you through the process. A stocking dealer would be your best bet, as you don't have to wait to have the can to be transfered in. I don't know any in the DFW area but a quick web search and a few inquiries here will get you pointed in the right direction.


September 23, 2009, 10:45 AM
Like someone said, there really is no "used" market for suppressors for two reasons - 1. Transfer tax is $200 or $400 if between buyer and seller from different states; and 2. unlike machineguns, you can buy them new for reasonable prices.

Now, if laws change and they make the manufacture of new suppressors illegal for civilians to own, then you will see prices on existing suppressors jump way up. Until then, if you buy one buy it to use, not as a safe queen or investment.

September 24, 2009, 12:36 AM
So the dealer has to have some sort of license for NFA items? there is a small gun shop near my house that i was hoping i could use for convienence but i doubt they would have any sort of special nfa license.

September 24, 2009, 06:50 AM
. So the dealer has to have some sort of license for NFA items? there is a small gun shop near my house that i was hoping i could use for convienence but i doubt they would have any sort of special nfa license

Yes. You can only purchase silencers / suppressors through a Class III dealer in your state. A regular FFL can't handle the transfer. You will also have to fill out BATFE Form 4, obtain a CLEO sign-off, submit photo and fingerprints for FBI background check and BATFE approval.

September 24, 2009, 11:40 PM
ok looking for a class 3 dealer thanks...anyone know of a good one in the DFW area? i realize i could use the google on my internet machine and pick one at random but if anyone has one to recommend i'd rather send my business that way...