View Full Version : Moving with a suppressor?

August 1, 2009, 08:19 AM
If one had a suppressor and was to move from one frendly state to another, what paperwork would have to be done?


August 1, 2009, 08:31 AM
Suppressors do not reqiure ATF approval to move between states. (http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/nfa_faq.txt) However, it might be a good idea to get it anyway for a permanent change of address.

Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms (http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f532020.pdf)

August 3, 2009, 07:58 AM
Mabye I should re word this, (thanks for the above info) What forms would one need to fill out if a person with a suppressor was doing a perment move from one state that allows a sup to another state that allows a sup. As i read the above info it states that a suppressor traveling for a temp amount of time does not need paperwork as long as the state that it is going to allows said suppressor. I am looking for more of a perment type thing. Like moving from SC to TX.


August 3, 2009, 10:01 AM
Assuming both states allow suppressors it would be the same as moving (permanently) within the same state. The NFA branch can hook you up with the details 304-616-4500.

David Hineline
August 3, 2009, 11:25 AM
There is no form for moving a silencer, because there is not law requiring such notification.

Many people use the form 5320.20 which is the appropriate form for some of the other NFA weapons, but writing a note on toilet paper will work just as well if you feel the need to notify the ATF at all.

August 3, 2009, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the info guy's.