PDA

View Full Version : 22 S.L.LR (Old)

Rshetley
July 28, 2009, 07:58 PM
OK, I need help here please. I will attach pictures for you.

I have this old 22 rifle. The only thing stamped on it is "LONG RANGE No.428 MG S.L.LR" . Thats it nothing else. The clip is missing but you see in the photos it was an odd shape.

Does anyone out there know who made this gun? It works fine. I just have no Magazine for it.

Thanks for any input and help.

Best Regards
Richard

LHB1
July 28, 2009, 08:24 PM
Richard,
How about a couple of full length pics of the rifle to help identify it? The absence of a major brand name on the gun may indicate that it was made for sale by another company. The S., L., and L.R. probably indicate that it fired Shorts, Longs, and Long Rifle ammunition. Many stores like Sears, Western Auto, etc. ordered guns made by different manufacturers for sale in their shops. Sears usually had such guns marked as J.C. Higgins and Western Auto had their own house brand. Some smaller stores didn't have house brands and simply had the guns marked Long Range Wonder, etc.

Brian Pfleuger
July 28, 2009, 08:28 PM
LBH1 answered with similar info while I was typing:)

Rshetley
July 28, 2009, 08:38 PM
Here's a few pic's. I am just wondering if a magazine can even be gound.

From back of Barrel to front is 28.5 inches.
From Back of Bullet to front of Barrel 23.5 inches
Over all (Butt to front) is 40.75 inches
Left/right swing style thumb safety

Thanks so much for you help!

Heres the other pic's

LHB1
July 28, 2009, 08:51 PM
Richard,
Sorry I can't identify the rifle but perhaps someone else can. The shape of magazine opening and rear end of bolt may prove to be the most significant details to establish manufacturer. Overall the rifle looks like an old style generic bolt action .22 similar in some respects to those made by Winchester but I don't recognize the mag outline or rear bolt contour.

jfrey
July 28, 2009, 09:39 PM
I'm just guessing but it looks a lot like some of the old Winchesters. Post your question at www.rimfirecentral.com. The folks there can identify almost anything.

srk-31
July 29, 2009, 12:57 AM
Answered your post over on rimfire central. See there for details, but looks like a store brand mossberg 42B to me.

Rshetley
July 29, 2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks to all that helped. I found the magazine for it. And replacement sights for the missing ones. I really appreciate the help.

Thanks
Rshetley

Harley Nolden
July 29, 2009, 05:42 PM
By photo, the one that it resembles is attached.

thallub
August 3, 2009, 08:29 PM
The gun is made by Mossberg: Probably a model 42. The give away that the gun is a Mossberg is the safety. That safety was used on an awful lot of Mossberg bolt action .22 rifles and shotguns.

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/42b.jpg

Lots of Mossberg pictures:

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/models.htm