View Full Version : Marble's game getter question

June 29, 2009, 08:01 AM
Theres a guy I talk to that inherited some guns from his grandfather. Him and his grandmother look to sell most if not all of them and one is a marble game getter. I'm confused on the legality of this firearm. I don't yet know the barrel length but I would think there would be a C&R clause with the ATF for such a collectible rifle. It is original, in great condition and sports no modifications. Is it possible to remove the stock without damaging the gun to make it legal or does fall under some clause? Does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks for the help.

June 29, 2009, 10:38 AM
if it is not exempt I would try to take the stock of CAREFULLY! And in a way where it could easily be put back on. Then register it.

James K
June 29, 2009, 12:08 PM
The Marble Game Getter has never been removed from the purview of the NFA, though it has been designated a Curio & Relic. So, if the gun is a shotgun/rifle combo with a barrel under 18" (whether or not it has the shoulder stock) or it is a .22 rifle with a barrel under 16" and has the shoulder stock, it has to be on the registry or it is illegal to transfer or own. They are not antiques, since production began in 1908.

There is technically no way to register it at this point, but (unlike machineguns) the short barrel registry is open. In the past, BATFE has allowed "late" registration (even 40 years late), but I don't know their current policy. It might be best for the executor to obtain the services of an attorney to 1) check with BATFE to see if the gun is registered, in which case the executor of the estate can have the title transferred to him/her so the gun can be legally sold and 2) if the gun is not registered, proper procedure for disposal.

Do not yourself become involved by trying to buy the gun, or by providing advice. Let the estate executor handle the situation.


June 29, 2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the advice Jim

June 30, 2009, 12:47 PM
Jim is a better resource than wikipedia, but I thought you might want to read this any way.

June 30, 2009, 01:47 PM
Wait a second. It is a shotgun? I thought it was a rifle :p. Anyway my bad. now I have a question. If he where to separate the barrel from the reciver and replace it with a 18in barrel, could he then file for a tax stamp?

June 30, 2009, 02:15 PM
I was under the impression, wrongly perhaps, that an 18 inch barrel would make it legal. But that raises the question, "If the barrel assembly has been replaced, is it still C&R qualified?".