View Full Version : Two part rifle rebarrel question...

June 22, 2009, 11:13 AM
I am thinking about having a 30-06 winchester model 70 rebarreled to 35 whelen. Can anyone recommend a good shop in CA and what is a reasonable price to pay for this??

Further, I plan on shooting 250/300/325 grain bullets. What is the best twist rate for stabilizing these heavy bullets?

June 22, 2009, 06:37 PM
Are you aware that there's no need to rebarrel ( install a new barrel) to make a .35 Whelan from a .30-06 ?

Unless you already have the subject replacement barrel, or know where you can get a killer deal on one, it's usually less expensive to have the existing barrel bored out (rebored) & rifled to .358" - since the .35 Whelan is simply a .30-06 with a .35 cal neck/bullet.

While there may be Kali rebore shops I'm not aware of, there are several in nearby states - and it's entirely legal under Federal Law to mail your barreled-action out to an FFL for "repair" (the rebore/etc) and get it mailed back, all w/o using an FFL for the transaction.
I don't have a clue, however, how PRK laws would effect you, in that regard.

You would need to communicate with the various reborers (many are listed in the Gun Digest) as to pricing, but I know of at least one who advertizes a .308" to .358" rebore/rerifle for $225. + S&H.