View Full Version : Private party transfer of a gun from Nevada to California of a non listed handgun

May 22, 2009, 03:25 PM
Is it possible to have somebody out of state purchase a handgun and do a cross state private party transfer to use the private party exemption to the approved handgun list law in California? :confused:

Reason I'm asking is that I want a 5" XD45 compact. It is one of only a few Springfield handguns without a CA listed version.

David Armstrong
May 22, 2009, 07:36 PM
It is generally unlawful for somebody to purchase a firearm for another person.

A/C Guy
May 22, 2009, 08:25 PM
ALL guns from out of state must go through an FFL in California.

Have the seller go to an FFL and ship it to your FFL.

Al Norris
May 22, 2009, 08:29 PM
I would also add that there is no such exemption for interstate transfers of handguns. None. Nada.

This means that all handguns must be sent to an FFL, within the State of Purchase.

I'm no expert on CA laws, but I believe it to be unlawful to have a handgun sent from out of State to CA that is not on the approved list. So....

Are you really asking how to unlawfully acquire an out-of-state unapproved handgun? :rolleyes:

Mike Irwin
May 23, 2009, 03:31 AM
In a word, no.

You can't do it.

What you're describing doing could get you a small room in a place with very tall walls for quite awhile.

Don't even think of doing it.

That's really all you need to know, so I'm closing this.