View Full Version : No supressors in MI

May 19, 2009, 12:50 PM
Every once in a while I see somebody talking about supressors in a thread, It makes me kind of jealous cause here in michigan they are a no-no.
Since I have no experience with them I have a couple of questions.
In states were they are legal do you need a class 3 to own them?
Also I have been told they don't cut down on noise nearly as much as portrayed in the movies?
can anybody fill me in?
thanks in advance.

May 19, 2009, 01:11 PM
Yes, it's a $200 transfer tax in the 31 states that individuals can own them.

You do not need to be an SOT in most states to own them.

In Michigan you must be an SOT in order to own them. I'm a 07 FFL Class 2 SOT in the upper peninsula and make suppressors and machine guns. If you're in the Keweenaw this summer, stop by and we'll go shoot a bit. I've got a full auto M16 I built with YHM suppressor and my prototype .22 suppressor on a Walther P22.

They aren't Hollywood quiet. They allow you to shoot without hearing protection. Smaller calibers are quieter than larger calibers. Search on Youtube for videos. There's tons of them.

A typical suppressed .22lr will run 110dB with subsonic ammo and closer to 150dB unsuppressed. Centerfire pistols are around the 160-165dB unsuppressed and good suppressors reduce the sound signature in the upper 20 to mid/low 30 dB of reduction making them in the 130-140ish range.

May 19, 2009, 01:14 PM
thanks for the reply, I may be showing some ignorance but I am not familiar with the term SOT.

May 19, 2009, 01:59 PM
Special Occupational Taxpayer. An FFL that pays a yearly tax to operate as an importer (01), manufacturer (02), or dealer (03) NFA weapons.

May 20, 2009, 08:19 AM
thanks, getting an ffl just for the convience of a quiter firearm is probably to rich for my blood, but at least now i know the options out there.

May 20, 2009, 10:12 AM
You can't get an FFL for personal use. It must be for business. The ATF doesn't mess around and especially not with NFA weapons.

May 20, 2009, 10:58 AM
I have seen a few guys around that run a small buisness out of their house, I found a guy locally that sold Stag arms a while back, I googled the address and drove over there thinking it would be a gun shop but it was just a house in a sub division. I called later and the guy told me I had the right place.
It led me to wonder how much buisness you needed to do to get an FFl.
Sorry to keep picking your brain, I am just curious so if you have something else going on don't worry about my disjointed questions.

thanks for all the info freakshow10mm:)

May 20, 2009, 11:15 AM
There is no set number but generally if you do more transfers or sales than personal guns you buy you are OK. A lot of businesses have an FFL and just do transfers and don't sell guns as regular retail. I have FFLs on file from car dealerships, lawyers, schools, plumbers, HVAC, accountants, etc.

I'm a home based FFL and run it during the day time, then work second shift at another job. This year I'm hoping to expand and get a separate facility for my business and hire a few people. I'm going to expand my ammunition manufacturing operations and will need some extra space for that as well as machines as I'm making my own billet lowers for my ARs.

May 20, 2009, 11:29 AM
freakshow10mm, thanks for all the info, I'll definetly keep you in mind and check out you sight next time I need something, your not exactly local (I live in livingston county) but I try to keep my money in michigan at small buisnesses when possible.