View Full Version : short bbl shotgun laws

April 13, 2009, 03:10 PM
I was wanting information about all that I would have to do to own a short bbl. pump shotgun in ohio, what licenses do I need to acquire? where do I go to begin the process of getting such license any information will be helpful.


April 13, 2009, 10:50 PM
First, make sure Ohio allows SBS', and that your city doesnt have any localized laws regarding it. Then you make a Form 1, and either do a Trust or get the local Sheriff to sign off on it...then you mail everything off to the ATF with a check for $200 and wait about 3 months...

April 13, 2009, 11:58 PM
forgive me for my lack of knoweledge do i do this form 1 through my local sheriff dpt?

April 14, 2009, 12:51 AM
Okay, first, Ohio allows SBS and such. I owned a few when I lived there.

Go to www.titleii.com, download the citizenship form, a form 1, and read the instructions. If you still have questions, ask specific questions so we can answer you well. :)

April 14, 2009, 08:01 AM
One area of the application asks for the name and title of authorized official on form one would that be me or the sheriff that would be authorizing me to own the firearm in my county.

2nd, Another area asks for cleo information what is cleo?

I hope this is clear enough.


April 14, 2009, 08:41 AM
Name and title of authorized official is of the Chief Law Enforcement Officer, not you. Also, CLEO = Chief Law Enforcement Officer. Those are both answered in the instructions on the form.... ;)

April 14, 2009, 08:55 AM
oh ok thanks I couldn't find instructions listed anywhere so that helps alot lol:D

Willie Lowman
April 14, 2009, 03:54 PM
You will need 2 passport photos. You will need two of the the blue ATF fingerprint cards. The signature of your Sheriff or Police Chief or applicable CLEO on your form 1. You need that certificate of citizenship.

Important! when you print off the Form 1, make sure you print it front and back. The ATF can and will reject it if it is on two pages.

Very important, don't shorten the barrel untill you have the approved form 1 in hand and you have engraved the gun. The receiver is now your SBS even if you put a 26 inch barrel on it, it is still a SBS. you may not put the short barrel on another gun even if you put your engraving on the barrel. the receiver is the NFA item.

April 21, 2009, 11:40 AM
If you do a Trust there is no need for cleo, fingerprints, etc. Make sure you don't pistol grip that SBR after the paperwork, that would be a smooth bore pistol.

Willie Lowman
April 21, 2009, 12:02 PM
Make sure you don't pistol grip that SBR after the paperwork, that would be a smooth bore pistol.

Incorrect. If you created a SBS on form 1 you can put whatever kind of grip on it you want.

Hitech78, you are probably thinking of an AOW (originally created as a smooth bore pistol, never had a stock to begin with). It is illegal to put a stock on a AOW. That would be creating a unregistered SBS.

April 21, 2009, 12:34 PM
Oh, I had it bass ackwards huh? LOL