View Full Version : Disassembly of a Colt Woodsman
April 8, 2009, 01:23 PM
I inherited a Colt Woodsman, circa early 50's. Nice pistol, shoots very nicely. It needs a good cleaning and I do not know how to disassemble it. I don't want to take a hammer and chisel to it, which is my preferred method when I don't know intuitively so I will turn to the forum for help.
Thanks for any help
April 8, 2009, 02:22 PM
Skip the hammer and chisel, please.
Disassembly of the Woodsman varies a bit with the age, but this should work.
1. Make sure gun is unloaded and magazine removed.
2. Pull slide back as far as it will go, and hold down on the little button on top of the slide. While holding the button, push the slide forward. The spring tension should be off (if it is not, repeat the above).
3. Remove the grips, and push out the upper housing lock pin (either way). That is the pin right where the web of your thumb goes when you grip the pistol normally. With slide forward, pull the trigger to release the hammer.
4. Push up on the mainspring housing and pull it back at the bottom until it clears the housing lock pin, then pull it all the way out.
5. With the mainspring housing removed, the slide can come backward off the frame.
6. I don't recommend further disassembly.
4. With the upper housing lock pin
April 8, 2009, 02:45 PM
Hammer and chisel sounds faster :D
April 8, 2009, 03:18 PM
Here's a good link with detailed instructions:
or, you can google " colt woodsman disassembly ", there are like 2600 hits...
April 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
Thank you all very much, I couldn't find the biggest hammer, so your answers are timely.
April 8, 2009, 08:13 PM
... or you might go here (http://www.colt22.com/) and punch the Takedown/Assembly link.
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.