PDA

View Full Version : New Model 70

XD45Sooner
April 5, 2009, 11:47 PM
Do any of you have any experience with the new Model 70s that are being made in South Carolina? I saw one today at a gun shop and it looks like a fine rifle. I am wanting ot get a new deer rifle and I have always wanted a Model 70 in .270 Winchester. How are the triggers in these rifles? How do they shoot?

Thanks

Jimro
April 6, 2009, 12:03 AM
They are very good.

Jimro

butta9999
April 6, 2009, 01:34 AM
I have a winchester model 70 in .300wm leaner and trimmer. I bought it about 5 years ago so not sure if it is the same as new ones. It has the mauser action control feed which i like. The rifle shoots good, i have not done anything to it.

The trigger is quite heavy but i am only shooting Sambar deer and pigs no more than 300yds away.

I am going to invest in a limb saver beacuse it can be quite punishing at times.

I thought Winchester de-listed the model 70 are they back?

xwe666
April 6, 2009, 05:40 AM
H'avent had a change to shoot mine yet but the trigger seem very nice and the action is so smooth.Mine is a featheweight dlx 300 win mag.Ill give a report of how it shoot as soon as I try it but reading from the people who shoot them give me high expectation

kraigwy
April 6, 2009, 07:57 AM
I have several Model 70s Post and Pre 64s. I have a New Model 70 in 270. Special Edition Featherweight.

I've of the opinion that it's the Best Model 70 Made todate. The trigger is excellent. Easy to adjust, Crisp with no creap.

Mine as moved to the top of the list as my Top Hunting rifle.

Savage99
April 6, 2009, 09:30 AM
The safeties are not easy to articulate on the new SC made M70's. Not that most of the old ones were perfect either.

I have a number of pre 64 M70's along with a Classic and their safties could be easier to use. When you put the safety off you don't want it to click.

I do like the design of the M70 type safeties as they are three position and also hold the firing pin. The Kimbers have a similar safety to the M70's and the Kimbers work easier.

XD45Sooner
April 6, 2009, 07:10 PM
I think I am going to have to pick one up. I have always wanted a Model 70 with a wood stock and blued barrel in 270. I have some extra cash so I think its time to get one.

SmokeyVol
April 6, 2009, 07:23 PM
I have a new Model 70 Featherwight Deluxe in 30-06 bought in late January. I love it.