PDA

View Full Version : Kinda smitten by the new big loop lever Henry Carbine...

Magnum Wheel Man
April 2, 2009, 07:20 AM
anyone have one yet ??? I see they offer the big loop levers for most all the models, but way down on my to buy list is a lever action 22... just plain, no mag, just a fun cheap to shoot lever gun... I saw a plain jane Henry carbine big loop last night when I stopped in the local toy store on my regular "every other day loading components search"... & admit, that I really liked it's simplicity & how my bigger hands fit in the lever loop ( I had to switch to a Wild West Guns large loop lever on my stainless guide gun, as I could only get 3 fingers in the stock Marlin lever loop )

anyone got one of the large loop Henry carbines ??? what has been your thoughts on the guns ??? I noticed the stock inletting was a little on the loose side, but pretty even & tight enough on the action... the fore end had pretty good wood, while the butt stock had "plainer" wood, but the rifle was priced at less than $300.00 & looked like a good value...

one of my concerns about larger loop levers, is if both the lever itself, & or the other components have been holding up with the additional leverage of the larger loop ???

Dingoboyx
April 2, 2009, 08:00 AM
It sounds like a fair price for a reasonable rifle. As always, try talking them down a bit in $. I wouldnt be worried about the big loop, I have a 44-40 Winchester with one on it. I dont think the loop would weigh much more than the standard loop as it is a little thinner. The only place I have found the big loop might get damaged is if the gun was to fall over or something and land funny on the loop, problems might occur (but that is mishangling of a firearm and we dont do that, do we?):D Also, the big loop is easier to catch on things (trees, getting in and out of trunk etc.

John Wayne, I believe was the first to use (possibly he designed it?) the big loop, so he could do his legendary swing cycle (one handed crank using the motion of the gun to complete the cycle) The rounded lever slips on the hand much easier than a standard lever.

If it is comfortable for your hand, and you like the gun, sounds like a good deal to me :D

Muzza

chris in va
April 2, 2009, 10:56 AM
A guy with the large loop posted recently and he said it was fantastic. Apparently the loop isn't as big as it looks and really fits your hand well.

BTW this is my next firearm consideration.

coondogger
April 2, 2009, 08:00 PM
"Kinda smitten by the new big loop lever Henry Carbine.."

Who isn't?