PDA

View Full Version : Youth .22 Bolt Suggestions

protectedbyglock
March 31, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hello all.
I need a shorter stock for my 10yr old as he's small for his age.
He's been shooting one of my semi .22s (mossberg 702) but the stock is significantly too long.
I don't really want to go the youth route, but I guess the only other choice I have is to cut a stock, and I'd rather not. I definately don't want a cricket. I just need a bolt or lever, with some capacity and a short stock.

I really like the CZ Scout, and can get one for $250 (whick is a little much, but not terrible I guess) but then I'd have to buy a $30 magazine to get it out of single shot mode.

I don't really want a single shot, but it seems that most youth models are single shot only. The Savage MKII Youth would be an option except the stocks on all the "youth" models are just as long as the Mossberg he already has.

I remember seeing a .22 one time that actually came with an adjustable stock, I think, but can't remember what it was. I think it was a synthetic stock that actually had sections to the stock or something. (Maybe I just had a dream about it? :D)
I also remember seeing one a while back that had a sliding adjustable stock, I think. Anyone remember one like this? It may adjust short enough.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

jammin1237
March 31, 2009, 06:06 PM
try looking for a marlin 795... it is very light and seems like it is a youth model...
its not going to be a sniper rifle, but at $120 to $140 for a semi auto .22lr? -- good little gun...
check one out for fit if you can....

good luck

cheers

thinkingman
March 31, 2009, 07:01 PM
CZ scout isn't single shot...best choice for the small shooter.

OLNfan
March 31, 2009, 07:10 PM
savage .22 64 series very tiny 20'' barrel very light synehtic stock, my friend has one, I was using his cooey cause we just randomly decided to go get a few birds, in his back pasture.

protectedbyglock
March 31, 2009, 07:21 PM
jammin, I wasn't looking for a semi for him, but rather a bolt with capacity greater than 1. However, I may re-think that if I can find a semi that's small enough. I'll look into the Marlin 795. Thanks.

Thinkingman, so does the scout come capable of shooting more than one shot when you buy it? I was thinking (based on the descriptions on other sites) that it came with a mag that only allowed single shot, and that you had to buy mags at $30 each to allow it to have any capacity.

OLNfan, I'll look into that Savage 64. Does it have a pretty short stock even though it has a 20" barrel? Is it a bolt gun?

ATW525
March 31, 2009, 07:32 PM
The CZ 452 Scout, and the Remington Model Five Youth are both good bolt action youth models. Both have single shot adaptors but can take detachable magazines (the Remington comes with a magazine, the CZ requires buying it seperately).

protectedbyglock
March 31, 2009, 07:36 PM
That's what i though about the CZ and mags. I just hate spending over $300 on a youth CZ that he can't even hold (and will maybe outgrow in a couple years). Nobody around here sells them, I'd have to order. It sounds like a good gun, though, based on reviews.

Well, looks like the Marlin 795 has the same length barrel, and same overall length as the 702 he's currently shooting.

And the Savage 64 has a 2" longer barrel and a 1" longer stock, so I don't think that will work. Looks like it's a semi, too.

protectedbyglock
March 31, 2009, 07:42 PM
Model 5 sounds promising, though. It has a much shorter barrel. Not sure about the stock, though.
The regular model has a 5.5" longer barrel and 5.5"longer OAL. Sounds like the stock is the same...

jammin1237
March 31, 2009, 08:01 PM
if you saw one with an adjustable stock it was probably a ruger 10/22... there are more options available for that gun than there are blades of grass on earth:) and it is quite popular...

i'm still partial to the marlins , how bout a model 60 and get it fitted for length? i cant imagine it would be that much to have done... have you asked any gunsmiths about that option?

cheers

protectedbyglock
March 31, 2009, 08:32 PM
You know, you might be on to something there, jammin. Maybe it was an adjustable stock on a 10/22.
Which would be really cool, because right before I decided to get him a .22, I had been eyeballing a nice stainless 10/22 for myself. If I could just find a small enough adjustable stock for it, I could claim it was his. I wonder if he'd notice if I got my name engraved on it? :D

I've always been a marlin fan, too. I sold off a model 60 years ago to a buddy of mine. It was one hell of a shooter. I loved the 19rnd capacity when you packed it full, too. Wish I never would have sold it.
I have a bolt marlin .22 now. It's over at my dad's house, though, and he uses it sometimes. I guess I could get a stock for it and cut it down. Not a bad idea, either.

I'd do my own "smithing" if I were to do it. I know when to quit (for the most part), but I'd have no problem hacking up a stock. :D:D

22-rimfire
March 31, 2009, 08:53 PM
The Browning BL-22's have a pretty short stock. (Yes, I know, it's a lever action.) They are a bit small for me which is why I never bought one. Otherwise, I lean toward the The CZ 452 Scout, and the Remington Model Five Youth as mentioned earlier. I was really tempted to buy a Model Five one day. Stock is short, but an adult can still shoot it okay.

jammin1237
March 31, 2009, 09:00 PM
i couldnt help myself with the last one i got, you did say short stock didnt you?:D

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43281&stc=1&d=1235923301

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43282&stc=1&d=1235923301

happy cutting!

cheers

protectedbyglock
March 31, 2009, 09:07 PM
22-rim, I'll take a look at the Browning. I'd guess they might be a little expensive. I don't have a problem with lever action at all, in fact they're kinda fun. I was looking at the Henrys today but the price tag was a little crazy. (which is funny because the henry dealer banner says something about good prices for working americans or something or another, but they are the most expensive .22s in the shop at like $390 for the basic?)

jammer, nice. :D

BTW, I was just thinking about how I used to cut down small trees with my model 60 when I was about 7yrs old. I could cut down a 3" diameter tree in a couple hours with a brick of shells. Those clowns on mythbusters just don't know how to do it. :)

22-rimfire
March 31, 2009, 09:15 PM
You didn't say much about price only "fit", unless I missed the post. Yeah, the Browning will be a little more expensive than the Henry's. That is Henry's little market niche. They cheapen up the manufacturing a bit and sell them to be less than either the Marlin 39A or Browning Bl-22.

I haven't priced a BL-22 lately, but I'm thinking $450-$500 area. They are a fine rifle however and one that your son will always be proud of (as will you). The CZ or Remington will be a lot less expensive. They are both solid little rifles, perhaps a tad heavy, but well made overall. The CZ would be my choice of the two.

I believe I saw a post that a gun shop in Clearfield has the Model Five for like $190. I could be wrong on the gun, but it was a gun shop up in Clearfield PA. There is a gunshop in Everett PA (Juniata Trading Post) that tends to be pretty competitive price wise. I used to stop there all the time on my way to see family. For all I know, you may be on the other side of the state. They were one of my main sources for 41 mag ammo a few years back. Have bought a couple scopes there as well.

Added: I looked at a as new used Browning BL-22 for $350 a couple weeks ago. They are around. Then there was the Winchester 9422 in 22mag that was pricey used. So many nice rifles and so little time and money!

protectedbyglock
March 31, 2009, 09:45 PM
I've been to Juniata trading. :)
My sister graduated from Juniata College. I've stopped there a couple times on my way up to visit her.
I also used to go to trap shoots in Everett with my buddy and his grandfather. Been a while, though. Everett is just under 1.5hrs from me if I remember correctly.

Yep, I should have said that I was looking for something under $300 (in fact, I'd like to stick to something around $200 if possible, just because I'm looking for something small (youth) with a shorter stock/barrel).
I'd have no problem spending more later on, I would just hate for him to get bigger and then not want to shoot the "baby" gun anymore, if you know what I mean. :D

Maybe I'm just cheap?

I can get the CZ for $250 ordered from a big store.
I'm gonna ask my local guy what he can do, and maybe order from him if it's in the ballpark (which he will be). I just wish I knew for sure how well it would fit. I'd still have to spend the $30+ on a magazine, though. :mad:

22-rimfire
March 31, 2009, 10:05 PM
It is not just the $30. They are hard to find too. I look for them in every gun shop I visit. I have one spare mag now for my CZ 452 Varmint.

My sister's kid just graduated from Juniata and my cousin graduated from there. What can I say? Good little school, just a bit expensive.

protectedbyglock
March 31, 2009, 10:36 PM
I didn't know the mags were hard to find. A lot of people have them listed in stock, but you know how that goes. They are $32-50 on GB.

Yep, Juniata is expensive. My older sister got a free ride. She was a national merit finalist and straight A+ student. In fact, UPenn paid her to get her doctorate there. :eek:
How the hell do you follow that? I went to a state school and figured I'd be the black sheep, but then my little sister not only went to state school but majored in ART! He he...
(My parents don't care at all. They're really cool. My mom gave us all the choice to go to school or not. She said later that she didn't care if I "majored in f'in basket weaving", as long as I graduated.) :D:D

KLRANGL
March 31, 2009, 11:20 PM
Is there a particular reason for wanting more than a one round magazine?

I had more fun re-enacting Zulu in my uncles back yard with his single shot bolt action .22 when I was ten then anything I can think of...
Ironically I just bought my first Martini Henry the other week, but that is neither here nor there... :cool:

protectedbyglock
March 31, 2009, 11:34 PM
Ha ha..... Zulu. :)

I just think he'll get bored with a single shot. I don't know, maybe he'll be wierd like you and really like one. :D
(just kidding, I know he won't be weird like you) :p
I only had one single shot growing up. It was a .410. It was cool, no doubt, but as soon as I got my hands on a 20ga pump it was all over (well, until I ran out of 20ga shells but still had some .410s left) :)
I started on a Marlin bolt .22, though.
I support the "make one shot count" theory, but in practice sometimes it doesn't quite work out. I know I've enjoyed a quick second shot plenty of times.

KLRANGL
March 31, 2009, 11:48 PM
(just kidding, I know he won't be weird like you)
Of that I can be certain :p
Even my Marlin 983 is rarely loaded with more than 1 round at a time... Old habits and all that (what am I talking about, im 21 :confused:)
I'll save follow up shots for the AK...

ATW525
April 1, 2009, 07:10 AM
I took this picture quickly before I left for work this morning, and I hope it helps visualize the difference between some of the rifles mentioned in this thread:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b372/lonelygunman/IMG_0204.jpg

Mossberg 702 (Top), Remington Model Five Youth (Middle), CZ 452 Scout (Bottom)

I tried to line up the trigger faces to give a feel for the length of stock, but I just eyeballed it, so it's not exact.

mes228
April 1, 2009, 07:22 AM
I had the same problem. Ended up buying a Henry Single Shot with a Henry Scope package in stainless. Very accurate, simple and sized correctly for a "tall' 9 year old. He has been shooting BB's and Pellet rifles for some time (with supervision) and uses open sights quite well. I thought the single shot more appropriate than a larger capacity. Quiet expensive though, a tad less than $400. It is a tack driver.

22-rimfire
April 1, 2009, 07:35 AM
Excellent picture ATW. With regard to the mags for CZ's.... they are findable. I don't really need more than the one spare, but I didn't buy online. (This was last spring when I got the 452, so my searches are about one-year old.) I would like another however; no hurry. The spare mag purchase was not an emergency, so I just started searching gunshops for CZ mags when I visited. The rifles are so popular that the spare mags sell real fast. Two types are available; plastic and metal. Both are good. The ones marked for 17HM2 also are for 22LR, but the packaging will only say ".17 HM-2". "22LR/17HM2" is marked on the bottom of the mag. At the time, I wasn't sure it would fit 22LR, so we loaded up a mag in the shop to check. I remember thinking... ouch on the price.

protectedbyglock
April 1, 2009, 09:04 AM
KLRANGL, I talk to clay birds sometimes so I wouldn't worry about it. Just hope the boy never catches me. My dad did once, that was akward. :D

ATW525, that's awesome! Thank you much for the pic. It's nearly impossible to tell just by looking at separate internet pics. That put's them in better perspective.

22-rim, you're right about the mags. I hate it when that happens. I used to have a Rem 522. I went to buy an extra mag when one of mine wore out, and the cheapest I could find was $90! :eek:
I got rid of the 522. It was a POS from day 1, anyway. When I traded it, all the guy was interested in was any spare mags I might have. :rolleyes:

thinkingman
April 1, 2009, 12:45 PM
I thought the one I handled in the shop had a magazine...maybe a plug to fill the slot?
The CZ website says "5 and 10 shot magazines are available"
Guess that means you buy one.
I have a 22lr CZ Varmint...assume that mag would work if I bought the Scout.
I still think for accuracy, fit, and the sights(very good) I would buy the CZ.

johnwilliamson062
April 1, 2009, 12:51 PM
marlin 981T, or something else from the 900 series. Your son will grow into it and I think it will be manageable from the start. 981T is tube fed 18rd in 22l and 21 in shorts I believe. A whole lot more than one anyways.

protectedbyglock
April 2, 2009, 09:37 PM
I'll check into that one, too. Thanks, john (and the rest of you).

I may just come back with something this weekend. :)