View Full Version : What is this Garand Sight?

March 21, 2009, 02:18 PM
My buudies new Garand has a bar across the elevation knob on the right side. It moves separatly, just pull it out and turn it. What is it for?

March 21, 2009, 02:48 PM
its a lock down device--im sure others more knowlegable will chime in and be more specific--i think they are called locking bars

March 21, 2009, 03:42 PM
The locking bar sight was used in WWII. Springfield Armory was later able to design an elevation knob that did not work loose under recoil.

The older sights, most of them were replaced in when the rifles were rebuilt. But then, some leaked through.

March 21, 2009, 07:21 PM
Ok thanks