View Full Version : M2 carbine

March 1, 2009, 09:54 PM
I have a friend, that is in his late 50's. When he was a kid, his father bought and registered an M2 carbine that is full automatic. That was about 30-40 years ago. After the father passed on the friend inherited the little jewel. Before the friend got the paperwork changed over, his house got hit by a tornado. The files where the paperwork were kept were lost. The gun safe and the bathtub were about all that was still standing afterwards.
Question. Is there any way this guy can get the M2 registered in his name without his father's paperwork? If he can get papers, I want to buy it from him. I would appreciate any suggestions short of chopping it up to avoid prison. Thanks!:confused:

David Hineline
March 1, 2009, 11:21 PM
Have the executor of the estate contact the ATF NFA branch with the serial number and have them check the registry indicating the gun is registered to the deceased, explain he is dead and the item should transfer to the lawful heir on tax free form 5. Once this is done you can buy the gun from him on tax paid form 4. Ask the ATF branch if they will allow a direct transfer from the estate to you on tax paid form 4. If the gun does not show up in the registry and you can't document it is legally owned with original paperwork be prepared to turn the gun over to local police dept. or ATF on the spot.

304 616 4500

March 2, 2009, 01:18 PM
I appreciate the advice! I will let him know. He was a little bit worried about even having the thing when he lost the paperwork in the storm. I have heard that ATF is notorious about not being able to find their own paperwork when inquiries are made. If they cant find their own papers, then I assume the original owners investment is a total loss?

March 2, 2009, 01:21 PM
GL I hope you can find the paper work. That is a nice piece.