View Full Version : Just for arguments sake

February 27, 2009, 10:38 AM
In michigan you have to register a mossburg cruiser as a pistol becuse of the length. Now in michigan we also have concealed PISTOL license's not CCW's.
Granted it would be ridiculios but could you carry a cruiser concealed legally?
Also wouldn't that make the cruiser a smooth barreled pistol?
just for fun on the concealment question but I am curious on the smooth barelled pistol.

Scattergun Bob
February 27, 2009, 11:59 AM
This question is a states rights issue, to my knowledge there is no federal law concerning your question of CPL. No matter what the state classifies you scattergun FEDERAL law looks at it as a shotgun or AOW, not as a pistol.

Research you state laws and look for an expert on CPL in your state.

Best of Luck, and be safe

February 27, 2009, 12:08 PM
House, What is the michigan min. length law?
I see it as a conflict of regs in most places to call a shotty a pistol. ATF says that you gotta get a special stamp to go under their min length laws.

February 27, 2009, 12:21 PM
seems to be rather current on their gov site ...I browsed for about 5 minutes and did not see anything about it being a pistol class firearm just that it needed to be registered ..would seem to be odd imo to be considered a pistol lol then again I am not an expert on law and am just going off a google search to their gov site..so I do not accept any responsibility for its accuracy.

3. Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222 Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively. Attorney General's opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess. MCL 750.224d There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector's item not likely to be used as a weapon.

The possessor must comply with Section 2 (License to Purchase) and Section 9 (Safety Inspection Certificate/registration) of Act 372.

If it was me, I would ditch the pistol grip to avoid any need to jump through hoops.

February 27, 2009, 12:23 PM
michigan law says total weapon length has to be 30 inches to be considered a long arm, between 30 and 26 inches and a shotgun can be registered as a pistol. In michigan you can not get an AOW stamp, so if its shorter than 26 inches a shotgun is flatout illegal. gotta love those logical laws and 26 inch twelve gauge pistols:barf: boy they are a bugger on the wrist:D

February 27, 2009, 12:40 PM
Flippycat, you must have been typing that post the same time I was typing my last. Thanks for the research, I don't actually have a cruiser so it was pretty much curiosity for me, I had an 870 with a folding stock and found it was pretty pointless to fire it without the stock folded down, I've got a mossberg tactical now with an ar style collapsable stock and that is plenty short for me.