View Full Version : Transfer of an Assault Rifle : Maryland to Texas?

Jason G
January 5, 2009, 11:20 AM
Like the title states, are there any unforeseen problems/costs/obstacles for a transfer from Maryland to Texas? FWIW, I'm discussing a sale with a dealer in MD on a RobArms XCR... whenever he can get any instock???.:confused: Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere, I searched with no luck.

thanks and take care,

Jason G in Amarillo, TX

Al Norris
January 5, 2009, 12:27 PM
If it's really an assault rifle (Title II - full auto firearm), then you will have to find out if that's legal to own in Texas. If so, pay the NFA transfer tax (form 4?) and have it shipped to a Title II dealer in TX. - I think I have that right, if I don't, someone will be along shortly to correct me.

If it's just a scary black rifle, then you will need to have the rifle shipped to a TX FFL and fill out form 4474 for the transfer.

January 5, 2009, 01:48 PM
Even for a transfer from TX to a son in VA?

Jason G
January 5, 2009, 02:06 PM
Yea, just Scary black rifle. Wish I could have the "real deal"! Suppose I could if I coughed up enough cash. My brother-in-law was just here for Christmas from Illinois. He picked up a nice BushMaster scary black while here but had to have his dad "buy" it because his state won't do the transfer. Anyway, while he was here he was treated to a full day of full-auto action by a cousin who is a State Game Warden. That guy has the best job in the world... an arsenal of cool weapons, invites to hunt anything he wants on the best lands not just in Texas, but many other states and out of the country hunts, safaris, and fishing adventures as well!!!!:barf:


Jason G in Amarillo, TX