View Full Version : Taking semi-auto pistol into Canada

January 4, 2009, 04:26 PM
Can I take a semi-auto into Canada? Im planning a motorcycle ride to Alaska via Canada and am wanting to take my pistol with me. I can legally carry anywhere in the US because Im a certified/commissioned police officer. I read on the Canadian Border site that most handguns are restricted and dont want to get all the way there just to learn I cant cross the border.
Anyone have experience with this scenario? I have looked at the form 909 to declare the weapon, just want to hear from someone who has done it. Thanks

fairview mick
January 4, 2009, 05:20 PM
I was planning the identical trip. I wrote to the Canadian authorities and got a pretty definite no. They are very much against hand guns. There was a governmental division that I could write to, but the chances were slim and none, and slim just left town. It's even getting tougher now to take your hunting rifles and shotguns in. A friend goes duck hunting in Canada every year, and I believe he has to license each gun. When I was coming back from a fishing trip last year, I used a driver's license and a CCW license for the two forms of I.D., and caused quite a stir by just showing a hand gun license. I was going to a very remote part of Alaska by myself on my Harley, but cancelled becuse of the restrictions. One suggestion would be to talk to Ken at Wild alaska guns and see if it would be acceptable to ship the gun to his store and then pick it up in Anchorage. Here is the link to his store and I'll put in his E.Mail address.
[email protected]
E-mail Address(es):
[email protected]


January 4, 2009, 05:48 PM
All handguns are classified as "restricted weapons" in Canada, and an absolute NO, they won't let you bring one in. Long guns (for hunting only) can be brought in, but you must fill out paperwork at the border, pay a fee, and get a temporary 60-day registration card.

See the sidebar at: