PDA

View Full Version : Colt Python 357

irishfireman
October 15, 2008, 12:56 PM
hey question for all yous :). I have a Colt Python 357 rev. That I am not sure of the age..guess 70s 80s? Mint Blue finish...sort of black. Stock wood handle. $4 inch barrel. I am wondering the value of it. A local gunshop said they would give me around $900.00 value for this gun. So is that fair? Or are they ripping me a new one. Just to let you know about me I have the look of I have never owed a gun before and just inheritated a lot of guns look on my face. The guy seems real nice and is willing to give me more if traded then just outright sell.

Thanks all.

Gatorhugger
October 15, 2008, 02:17 PM
$900 seems fair. They have to re-sell it for $1200.

311unity13b
October 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
It is a gem. Trust me. Contact Colt and have the serial number ready. They will be able to tell you when it was made. Dont go by the list on wikipedia. i dont believe it to be 100% accurate. Can you post some pictures of it on here? Depending on the condition of the weapon, it can go for upwards of $1300 for a very good specimen. But I would never sell it.

COLT'S MANUFACTURING COMPANY LLC
Customer Service Department
P.O. Box 1868
Hartford, CT
06144-1868 U.S.A.

Tel: 1-800-962-COLT
Fax: (860) 244-1449

BigJimP
October 15, 2008, 02:26 PM
You would be better off to show it to some serious Colt collectors - if you know any, other than your local shop, but it may be a fair offer.

Frankly, if you like the gun, I would recommend you hang onto it - since you inherited it. Shoot it, take care of it - it will retain whatever value is in it as long as you don't abuse it.

Even if you want a semi-auto or something different / its never a bad idea to hang onto a good .357 mag revolver like a S&W or a Colt especially. If you don't like it / or it doesn't fit your hand very well - then trade it for something else / or sell it to someone privately and it will always get you more than if you sell it to a shop or put it on consignment in a shop. Personally, I hold almost every gun I've ever bought or received / I hardly ever sell anything ....even guns I've had for 50 years now ...

irishfireman
October 15, 2008, 02:30 PM
Thank you! It was made in 1978 I have pics later tonight...

HKFan9
October 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'd say if it really is MINT, like MINT, but you still like it....

Find a collector and sell it for a top dollar price to him, then turn around and buy a cheaper, still nice, shooter version of the same.

I know I know.... guns are meant to be shot, but if someone really likes to put it behind glass and stare at a mint condition one then why not let them have their dream, and it puts money in your pocket to go buy a cheaper one that isn't MINT you can shoot and have fun with. I feel like both parties get what they really want. I don't own any safe queens personally, but I feel like this is what I'd personally do.

laytonj1
October 15, 2008, 02:52 PM
I bought these two at a local gun shop last week. One for $950 (with box and manual) and the other for $830. Ones mint, the other near mint.
If the dealer is offering you $900, that is a good price.

Jim

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd194/laytonj1/DSCN0653.jpg

357 Python
October 15, 2008, 04:19 PM
I bought a used shooter grade 4" Python 2 years ago for $800 OTD. $900 for a Python in the condition you describe is not bad at all. 1978 was a good year for Pythons (at least for me). I graduated school then and both of my Pythons (4" and 6") were made in 1978. Unless you need the cash or are looking for something else I would be tempted to keep the Python and enjoy it. Being a police officer I carry my 4" Python off-duty most days.

Wayward_Son
October 15, 2008, 06:47 PM
That is the exact model of Python that I want, and for a mint specimen I expect to pay $1100-1300 for it. Possibly $1400. They won't give you that much for it because they want to turn around and sell it for that much. However, if I were you I'd hold onto it.

Or sell it to me. For $950. :D

irishfireman
October 15, 2008, 07:25 PM
Yeah I love the gun well I should say to fire it. My father was a Police officer in that time so this may have been his back up or service gun. However the gun is in such shape that it has no scratches no dents or scuffs. Surely he would have marked it somehow. If I saw this gun under the counter I would think it was brand new. My dad loved guns and it was obivous. He use to shoot in competitions so this may have also used this for that purpose. I did find this gun was loaded with 357 mag hollow points.. I guess this was his main self deffense. I want to get rid of this gun due to personal bad memories of this gun. Nothing that tarnishes the gun other than just to me.

The gun shop owner seemed to like the gun and had good things to say. He looked in a book that had prices of the such. I thought I saw something like $1000.00 next to his finger.

Also to clarify the $900.00 is trade value, a $700 gun I had my eye on and $200.00 cash.

$950.00 huh lol
I honestly know nothing of selling guns person to person. But if you are serious send me a message and we can talk.

B.N.Real
October 15, 2008, 07:36 PM
Keep it.

You can always buy lesser handguns.

Dad's handgun( A PYTHON no less!) comes around once in a lifetime.

DO-

NOT-

SELL-

IT.

Those bad memories will mellow with age and there it will be.

The same gun your Dad treasured and he left for you to have for your whole lifetime.

Picking up the Python is like shaking your Dad's hand everytime.

That's Priceless.

ffffg
October 15, 2008, 08:04 PM
He probably bought it for himself, but wanted to leave you something to remember him by that was his personna.. Im getting guns to give my sons, two grandfather clocks, two old pocket watches, two pistols, etc,. They can sell them or keep them whatever they want,, I dont now why i feel my python and my 1970 colt national match are a couple of my best guns.. Ive said it here before, a gun that looks good and shoots well is hard to come by.. I should add handles well. the python is one of these types of guns. some guns are heavy, some kick too much, some are too big to carry all the time, some are just plain ugly.. .. dave.

irishfireman
October 15, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yeah, very true. My father had one gun he wanted me to have that was his most precious. His fathers Remington Rand 1911 A1. This gun was brought back from WWII. It Fires like a champ and when I took it to a firing range it brought up conversation from a few guys, including a Marine from WWII. ( He Broke down the gun and put it back together in no time. ) It makes me happy to own this gun. This is not the best 1911 A1 but it was my grandfathers, then my fathers and It reminds me of both.;)

Wayward_Son
October 15, 2008, 09:48 PM
Man, if its condition is as good as you say, I'd happily buy it for $1100.

But seriously, if if it's condition is as good as you say, then keep it!! If you need the money that badly then surely there are other things you can pawn. If you own a pristine Python then hold on to that sucker. If I were you, I wouldn't let go of it.

Harry Callahan
October 15, 2008, 10:08 PM
Those bad memories will mellow with age and there it will be.

The same gun your Dad treasured and he left for you to have for your whole lifetime.

Picking up the Python is like shaking your Dad's hand everytime.

That's Priceless.

Great way to put it BNReal. Never thought of it that way, but you're right. I agree, you'll kick yourself later if you sell it! Remember, you will probably never hold YOUR DAD'S gun again if you let it go. Except for an EXTREME emergency, DON'T DO IT!!!:(

irishfireman
October 15, 2008, 10:53 PM
Ok I will sleep on it. Just let me know if anyone on here really wants it, if I decide to sell. I would rather sell to a person who would treat her right.

Smaug
October 15, 2008, 11:46 PM
I'm sure lots of people want it, and you have probably already gotten a few offers. I'd sleep on it for quite a while, at least a year.

Here's what I think you should do:

You said you inherited a bunch of guns. Why not get into shooting them. Learn about them, so you can really appreciate them. Maybe then you will realize the value of a mint Python.

If you ignore us, DO NOT take less than $1200 for it. That shop is stocked with fools if they will only give you $200 cash for it. At least if you regret it later, you will know you got what it was worth when you're kicking yourself later.

If you think on it for a good while, at least a month and still decide it invokes such bad memories, try to sell it to a collector who will let you buy it back for what he paid for it. This way, it is in good hands, and you have a chance to get it back if you change your mind. I'm sure there are good folks like that around here.

It seems like you maybe have plans for the money this gun will bring. Careful. Once it's gone, it's gone.

It is mostly just collectors who will buy a mint Python these days. Most of the rest of us would buy a shooter grade one and even then probably wouldn't shoot many magnums through it.

MikeKeyW
October 16, 2008, 12:22 AM
Keep it. I was a little tempted to sell my 3" Python when I discovered what they were selling for but I knew I'd end up kicking myself later. Pythons rule!

Harry Callahan
October 16, 2008, 03:48 PM
Keep it. I was a little tempted to sell my 3" Python when I discovered what they were selling for but I knew I'd end up kicking myself later. Pythons rule!

Absolutely, and I don't even own one(YET!).:D

slow944
October 16, 2008, 09:57 PM
I bought a Colt Anaconda a couple of weeks ago from a dealer, $1150 with tax OTD, wanted one to go with the Python 6" I have. He had a Python on the table for sale at $1900 with 8"bbl SS. They have gone up about $700 this year alone, so hang onto it as someone said it'll be like holding your Dads hand when you shoot it.

hknut
October 16, 2008, 10:20 PM
The local cabela's has a 4" Python for $1700!