View Full Version : Full auto AR question

October 14, 2008, 03:47 PM
Instead of buying a pre assembled full auto AR and spending thousands,
can I just get a semi auto AR and buy the full auto trigger kit from bushmaster and pay the $200 tax stamp and get it registered to the BATF?
Or is there more to it?

I have a spotless record so that won't be a problem.I just want at least one
full auto before I die.


October 14, 2008, 03:49 PM
Nope. The government banned the creation of new machineguns for civilians in 1986 by passing the Firearm Owners Protection Act. Only machineguns registered prior to May, 1986 may be bought and sold by civilians.

October 14, 2008, 04:32 PM
If only it were that easy...

YES you can just build/buy a semi auto and then install a REGISTERED drop in auto sear (RDIAS). They key is the sear has been registered already prior to the 1986 ban. You will pay $200 to have that RDIAS transferred over to you.

The price of a RDIAS is about $10,000 right now. Could go up or down drastically depending on future legislation.

October 26, 2008, 10:06 AM
Don't forget; If you create a non-registered machinegun, even accidentely, it'll cost you much more than $10000