PDA

View Full Version : NON +P Defensive Ammo For S&W 442 Airweight .38 Revolver?

Gene
October 13, 2008, 05:43 PM
Even though the 442 Airweight is rated for +P ammo, what would you guys recommend for non +P defensive ammo for the S&W 442? Thank you.

Scott Free
October 13, 2008, 05:45 PM
Winchester Silvertips or 148gr. wadcutters.

indiandave
October 13, 2008, 06:35 PM
Just target shooting a 148gr wad cutter would be easy on the recoil. Georgia arms, Mastercast have cheap ammo. The 442 is a very light gun. recoil can be stout. +p can make your hand sore fast. You can change grips to one with a coverd backstrap. this will help with recoil.

Elvishead
October 13, 2008, 06:38 PM
Any name brand Semi jacket hollow point. What ever WalMart has.

Dave85
October 13, 2008, 06:56 PM
Check out the Standard Pressure Short Barrel Heavy .38 Special (http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#standard38) loads from Buffalo Bore (http://www.buffalobore.com/). They spec out hotter than other makers' +P short barrel loads while keeping within standard pressures. Or so they claim. I haven't heard any complaints about them, and they have been at it for a little while now.

Webleymkv
October 13, 2008, 06:58 PM
Hornady 158grn XTP

Laz
October 13, 2008, 10:54 PM
Also, the Federal 110 Grain Hydrashok Personal Defense ammo is standard pressure. Speer makes a 125 grain Gold Dot that is standard pressure (listed on the LE website as part number 53722) but hard to find around here at least. Magtech makes a standard pressure 158 grain SJHP (38E) that is standard pressure. Don't forget plain jane 158 grain lead semi-wadcutters also since few hollowpoints expand from a snub at standard pressure anyway.

311unity13b
October 13, 2008, 10:58 PM
Whatever walmart has is what i shoot in the 637

Un_lucky
October 14, 2008, 07:21 PM
Buffalo Bore has some really good standard pressure, however it is definitely not low recoil. I would much rather shoot the 135grn gold dot then the BB standard.

Jacks
October 18, 2008, 05:20 PM
I reload for practice 158gr LSWC....a grain of powder here a little there and I have had some pretty hot loads. The plain jane is a heavy round and leaves a nice exit hole where ever it goes through. Since hollow points are unreliable from snubs...they why not go with the swc...even if you don't reload...they are a substantial round....and will provoke a substantial bleed out on a human bean.
:)
That's the argument I hear for the 45, big holes, large wound channel, lets the blood out.

Superhouse 15
October 18, 2008, 05:49 PM
I don't personally like the LWC, too slow and not a lot of energy. I shoot Federal 110gr Hydra Shok in the gun I don't use +P in. The only other loads I have used are the 110 Silvertip and the 110gr SJHP from Remington. The last two are sometimes hard to find, but Ammunition To Go has them in stock, as well as some XTP loads from Fiocchi and a non +P Glaser. I doubt the XTP would expand at all from a snub, it barely expands from a full size. I have never personally used Buffalo Bore, but I hear lots of good stuff about it.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/page/1/cName/38-special-hollow-point-ammo/sort/2a

Jacks
October 18, 2008, 08:33 PM
and shoot out of a 4 inch K frame...my results might be different from yours.
My snub has just run of the mill 38 special LRN, but neither am I in a high crime area...or have ever been threatened for that matter. Plus P's in that case and yes I hate the recoil...but in a real situation I doubt I would remember it.

But my wad cutter loads definitely have enough energy. I am afraid to shoot them in the J frame.

Johnny Guest
October 18, 2008, 09:07 PM
Then I suggest the already-mentioned Buffalo Bore Standrd Pressure Short Barrel (http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#standard38)158 gr LSWCHP, their item number 20C. It has a healthy bark, yes, but it is noticibly lighter in recoil than my old favorite Remington 158 LSWCHP+P. The Buffalo Bore bullet is very soft and the hollow point is huge.

I tested that load in my old S&W M37 Chief's Special AirWeight. Using a tight hold, the recoil is entirely managable. I was really impressed with the accuracy at 20 yards. It's rated at 854 fps and 256 foot pounds energy from a two-inch barrel. I like this well enough that I've switched to it from the Remington +P load. I also gave a box to Elder Son for use in HIS M37.

Buffalo Bore also offers their item number 20E, a 125 gr JHC load at 921 fps. The stated energy is 235 ft. lbs. This might be enough less so the recoil would be lighter.

Cabela's stocks a good selection of Buffalo Bore ammo.

Best of luck to you.
Johnny

smee78
October 19, 2008, 06:35 PM
+1 for the Hornady 158xtp

Scott Free
October 19, 2008, 06:48 PM
I just went through the same thing. I've ended up with Corbon DPX. Even though it's +P, it's only 110 gr. Recoil was not a big deal. Use non +P if you must, but at least give DPX a try.