PDA

View Full Version : Help me buy my .44 magnum

advantage1one
October 8, 2008, 12:05 PM
I got bit by the .44 magnum bug! I have a number of handguns, one being the .357 mag 686P which is an incredible gun. My dilemma is this: I like the looks of the S&W 629 Classic with the 5" barrel and full underlug, and the same for the 629 4" with partial underlug. This gun will be used for paper targets, maybe some hunting in the future, and SD/HD. Which would be a better all-around pistol...I've got experience in handguns so the recoil, weight, etc. will be no problem. But please don't tell me to buy one of each, because I probably will! I'm looking for any experience you might want to share on these fine S&W revolvers...any impressions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

44 Deerslayer
October 8, 2008, 12:40 PM
One of my .44's is a 629 with a 4" barrel. It's very well balanced and easy to handle. The longer barrels are probably better for hunting, if that's all you use it for. Other than that, the longer barrels tend to get in the way of easy carrying and handling. If I could only keep one it would probably be the 4".

The 4" .44 was Elmer Keith's favorite too, he felt it was the most all around length for easy carry with a long enough barrel for good ballistics. He also killed a lot of big game with it.

Tommy Vercetti
October 8, 2008, 01:44 PM
I have a 4 inch barreled nickel plated model 29

I love it

azredhawk44
October 8, 2008, 01:46 PM
If you're only gonna have 1.... get a 4" .44 sixshooter.

Aside from Elmer's worthy recommendations, I find the lack of excessive forward weight of the long barrel actually steadies my hold better. I lose some sight radius so there is some trade-off, but I think the 4" is the better choice.

My two .44's I have experience with are 5.5" and 4" redhawks. Neither are fully lugged barrels, just partial lugs. I have yet to shoot a fully lugged 44 magnum with a 6" or longer barrel.

ETA: Here's the 4-incher, since no one else has posted pics of Rugers.
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p17/azredhawk44/IMG_0939.jpg

AJD21
October 8, 2008, 02:08 PM
I had a 29-2 in a 4" and 6.5". I would opt for a longer barrel then the 4" as I found it more comfortable to shoot, easier to shoot accurately and the extra barrel length gives you a little more velocity.

Tom Servo
October 8, 2008, 02:10 PM
The 4" .44 was Elmer Keith's favorite too, he felt it was the most all around length for easy carry with a long enough barrel for good ballistics. He also killed a lot of big game with it.
IIRC, Mr. Keith took almost every type of game in North America with it. The lone exception was buffalo, because it was an endangered species. Charlie Askins got the first human kill with it in Vietnam in 1957 or 1958.

It's a great loading, but takes a bit of time to master at its full capacity. For that, you want a heavyish gun, and you're on the right track. If you're going to be carrying it, the 4" barrel is a good compromise in terms of ballistics and weight.

You don't see a huge reduction in recoil going from 4" to 6", and although you've got a better sight radius, the gain in accuracy is negligible (at least for me). The full underlug adds a couple of ounces' weight, but also makes the gun feel a bit unbalanced to me.

Then again, I was raised on old K and N frames, so it's largely a matter of personal preference for me :cool:

batmann
October 8, 2008, 02:49 PM
A 4" S&W is easier to carry but I really think a 5" Classic is an overall better gun. IMHO, it is easier to shoot and with the 5" BBL, it is legal to hunt with in most states, should you ever decide to do so.

slow944
October 8, 2008, 03:22 PM
I just picked up a Colt Anaconda last week in 44mag with the 4" bbl. Haven't had the opportunity to get it to the range, but I wanted another snake in my collection.:D

Hammer It
October 9, 2008, 05:58 AM
Howdy advantage1on
Here is a Vintage Model 29-2 that shipped in The early 1970's. It came to me being fired only Six times by it's original Owner. This should Motivate you... Hammer It

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/29-2.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/S_W_Model_29-2_.jpg

bikerbill
October 9, 2008, 02:57 PM
saw the thread title and thought you were taking up a collection ... guess I'll put that $100 back in my pocket ... good luck and enjoy it if you get it ...

BigJimP
October 9, 2008, 04:50 PM
.44 Magnums .... I have 4 - all S&W's ....

3" 629-5 Trail boss (stainless ) / RSR gun that is ported. Its loud - but it shoots very well out to about 35 feet.

8 3/8" 629-4 DX ( full length lug under barrel, DX came with changeable front sites, nice gun.

8 3/8" 29-3 Nickel finish - again a nice gun

6" 29-2 blued finish - easier to carry in a holster fishing, etc

The problem is, I don't know what to tell you - except buy them both. The 8 3/8" barrels shoot better than a 4" / a 3" or 4" are nice Trail guns / a 6" is a good all around gun. But I have the same problem in .357 mag revolvers ( and I'm up to 7 or 8 of those in model 27's, 627's etc ). So I'm not much help ...

publius
October 9, 2008, 05:43 PM
hammer it, that thing is beautiful

WVfishguy
October 9, 2008, 11:34 PM
I'm old enough to know to NEVER buy anything on looks alone, especially dogs and guns.

I've owned a lot of Smiths. That's why I will only buy Ruger revolvers (except older, well-preserved S&W Model 10s. Love those things).

Hammer It
October 10, 2008, 04:54 AM
hammer it, that thing is beautiful

Hello Publius
I appreciate your Kind words. These Two S&W's shoot as well as they Look. I haven't ever had a Bad S&W revolver as far as the classic's go they are getting harder & Harder to locate these days, so these will be Kept. I Picked up that Model 29 to keep my Model 57 in .41 Magnum and my Model 27 in .357 Magnum Company..:D Hammer It

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/Model57LeftviewsmoothTargets.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/Model57rightViewsmoothTargets.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/27InFrontofPresentationCase3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/27InFrontofPresentationCase.jpg

Elvishead
October 10, 2008, 06:18 AM
I've been getting a stiffy for 44 magnum too. I'm starting to eye up the S&W Bounty hunter.

It's on the long/short list.

Stan in SC
October 10, 2008, 07:25 AM
You saw all of the Smith and Wessons.Very nice eye candy.If you want a nice looking and versatile .44 magnum pistol which is very strong,accurate and almost indestructible I recommend the Ruger Super Redhawk in 7-1/2" barrel.

Stan

DMZX
October 10, 2008, 09:24 AM
If I was looking for another .44 Mag, I would get this one:

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=53954&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=48302&isFirearm=Y

Blued model.

TMackey
October 10, 2008, 09:38 AM
I've been getting a stiffy for 44 magnum too.

I just got one after seeing those pics from Hammer It. :D

That is simply gorgeous. :)

Harry Callahan
October 10, 2008, 09:47 AM
I've got a 629 Classic 6 1/2 Ported and I love it. It is alot of gun. If you can find a nice used one, get it, and preferably without the "Hillary lock".

Evyl Robot
October 10, 2008, 10:44 AM
You could say I'm a fan. The Classics series guns are put together quite nicely. This is a 29-10. Yes, it's got the lock, but no MIM parts, if you can believe that. I've put probably 2000-rounds through it in a 50:50 ratio of Mag:Spl. I love this gun.

http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/28081/2695785770098336179S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2695785770098336179sPxskp)

:cool:

--Michael

Rugerdoug
October 10, 2008, 12:54 PM
Any Ruger or Smith 44 magnum will be good. I have the Alaskan, Redhawk 4 inch barrel, and Vaquero all in .44 mag. For my next Smith I am looking at that 329PD.

erikrichard
October 10, 2008, 04:04 PM
Experience with other guns is completely irrelevant. You need to rent/borrow a 4 or 5 inch 629 and shoot some full house .44mag ammo. I think a Ruger Blackhawk would be considerably less painful.

skidder
October 10, 2008, 06:57 PM
I've had both Ruger and Smith and the recoil on the ruger is much more manageable. The Smith 629 with the Hogue Grips dug into my hands where the Ruger Redhawk, with factory grips, just rolled back with out the bite (same ammo).

HoraceHogsnort
October 10, 2008, 07:04 PM
My 4" 629 is stoked with Cor Bon 165 gr. JHPs (chronoed at 1300 fps from my gun) and sports a CT laser. Its quite the ticket for them early morning guests what shows up without an invite.

PT111
October 10, 2008, 08:09 PM
When I was taking my CWP course there was a guy right beside me shooting a .44 magnum. Since then I have no desire whatsoever to purchase one. If you want to take up a collection to buy me one for Christmas I will gladly accept it but not gonna buy one. :D

skidder
October 10, 2008, 09:32 PM
It came in handy once when I was out hunting. I leaned my rifle up against a tree and stepped away to relieve myself, when I saw a deer walk by. Well, I pulled out my pistol (no pun intended) and dropped the deer with my Ruger 44. So, they are handy for hunting, and self protection from bear, communist, and hippies. :D:D

bufordtjustice
October 10, 2008, 09:48 PM
I say get the 4". I have a 629 in that length and it is plenty accurate for me.

HoraceHogsnort
October 10, 2008, 09:55 PM
People who are reluctant to shoot or buy one because of the recoil need to understand they can be loaded lite (44 spec.) or they can be loaded HOT and there's lots of leeway in between. Its an extremely versatile handgun.

erikrichard
October 10, 2008, 09:59 PM
The question isnt one of accuracy, but whether it would be fun to shoot paper for any length of time. Unless you're into pain, a Ruger single action w/ a 6" or better barrel would be a much better target and hunting gun.
The advantage of a 629 would be double action and the Dirty Harry cool factor, that's about it.

UniversalFrost
October 10, 2008, 10:07 PM
the only 44mag I have is an early model 8" octagon barreled contender.

not a big fan of S&W wheel guns, prefer colts or rugers. colts for their classic looks and the rugers just because you can beat the snot out of them and then they still work out great and use them as a hammer when you run out of bullets.

JOE

Swampghost
October 10, 2008, 10:17 PM
Super Blackhawk! DA's require too much trigger pull, you can tune a SA much like a rifle trigger. SLOW? Like to see some of my quickdraw scores w/a 7-3/4"?

billyemerson
October 11, 2008, 08:15 AM
The one I own is a Ruger Redhawk with a 7 1/2" barrel. It's comfortable to shoot, and a very attractive gun since I replaced the factory grips with a hogue goncalo alves one-piece grip (also fits my hand better). I've shot my brother-in-law's vintage S&W Model 29 with a 4" barrel, and I enjoyed shooting it, but I was shooting a little lighter loads (still magnum, though). I've also shot a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I prefer my Redhawk to the others. If I was going to buy a new one, I think I'd get the Redhawk with a 4" barrel.

Smaug
October 11, 2008, 08:47 AM
A couple of really good points have been made so far:

4" barrels aren't legal for hunting everywhere
Just because it is a 44 Magnum, that doesn't trap you into shooting only magnum loads. It just makes magnums an option. You could also shoot 44 Special or 44 Russian.

If you are a handloader, the 44 Magnum becomes a great do-almost-everything gun. (still isn't great for CC!) I like to load bunny fart 44 Russian-type loads in the 44 Magnum cases. No worries about burning a ring in the chambers. I can shoot anything from targets to bears, if the opportunity arises.

skidder
October 11, 2008, 11:57 AM
The Ruger is my choice, I have a stainless redhawk with 5.5 barrel. Accurate and easy to pack. Several good points mentioned. If there is a dealer with display models, pick them up and get a feel for the weight and size not everybody has the same hand.

tenusdad
October 12, 2008, 03:36 PM
I've tried most of the good ones - owned a Super Blackhawk then a Redhawk - both accurate - 7.5 in and hell for stout - great for heavy hunting loads - but Heeeeaavvvvyyy - really needs to be carried in a shoulder holster - I now have a S&W 4" 629 - Depends on your use I guess - for primary hunting gun I'll take one of the big Rugers - for most everything else including hunting backup - I'll take the S&W - i love da S&W revolvers - sorry South American fans - I don't care for a Taurus

Semi-jacketed
October 12, 2008, 06:35 PM
For hunting, I usually use a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5" barrel. I liked it so much, I bought one for my oldest son when he become old and large enough to hunt with it.

For all-around use that may require a 44 magnum load, I have a Dan Wesson with a 4" barrel. Best general use handgun to me. Great trigger, very accurate and a smaller barrel length, but stoutly built enough to stand up to heavy loads if I choose to take it for back-up. It's deep blue, not stainless, so a little maintenance is necessary.

The S&W are good guns, but the cylinder isn't long enough to hold the very heavy loads you can obtain in .44 mag cartridges. And, although folks will tell you they won't, I can tell you from experience, a great deal of real magnum shooting will use them up far quicker than a Ruger or Dan Wesson. Admittedly, you will have to shoot several thousand rounds to notice anything amiss, but if you plan on more it's something to consider. If you plan on shooting low magnum pressure, or special rounds, you'll never wear it out. Find one a "dash 3" model or higher for better engineering. They are framed a bit smaller than the other two makers and easier to carry.

B.N.Real
October 12, 2008, 06:39 PM
I saw two Smith 44's in stainless for sale in the used gun case at Gilberts in Newington Va. in great shape at reasonable prices.

Beautiful four inch barrel models

Broke-broke-broke or one of those would be in my gun collection right now.

CWizard
October 12, 2008, 06:43 PM
Shooting mag loads all the time has caused me two trips to the gun smith for my S&W model 29. The timing was off, the cylinder holes didn't line up with the barrel. Comments?

skidder
October 12, 2008, 11:58 PM
I hear ya, I had a 629 6" and only fired it a few times because it did not feel safe firing hot loads. I had some 320 grains loaded for my ruger that would not even fit in my Smith (Cylinder was to short). I have a stainless Redhawk and that thing is the toughest ruger besides the blackhawk. True fact, when they tried to see what would blow up a blackhawk it took twice the rated cup pressure to finally blow it up. Amazing!!!!:eek:

Gun 4 Fun
November 8, 2008, 01:09 AM
Skidder- Blackhawk in .45--60,000 c.u.p.
" " " .44--80,000 " "
Redhawk in .45--95,000 " "
" " " .44--over 105,000!

Wyngnut
November 8, 2008, 05:27 AM
"When I was taking my CWP course there was a guy right beside me shooting a .44 magnum. Since then I have no desire whatsoever to purchase one."

Why PT111? Unnervingly loud? Unnerving recoil? Or just not your cup of tea?It's cool, just curious.

Sweet pics btw!

Mine: .44 Ruger Redhawk / 5.5" bbl / Hogue Grips/ stock factory sights/ 240gr Core Lokt Hollow Point bullets/ and many speedloaders.

PT111
November 8, 2008, 07:36 AM
"When I was taking my CWP course there was a guy right beside me shooting a .44 magnum. Since then I have no desire whatsoever to purchase one."

Why PT111? Unnervingly loud? Unnerving recoil? Or just not your cup of tea?It's cool, just curious

Loud and every time he shot it just shook everything around him. I didn't shoot it so I don't know about recoil but it's just not for me. As for recoil I have a S&W 340PD and the recoil from that with a .357 has to be shot to be believed. I am just satisfied with smaller caliber handguns and have nothing against the .44, just not for me.

44Magnum
November 8, 2008, 08:01 AM
Yeah, they're not for everybody. You're no less or more of a shooter either way. The .44 is a reloader's dream. I simply lower the power of my loads for the range v.s. hunting. That way nobody gets agitated, my gun saves some wear, and I still get practice.

Smaug
November 8, 2008, 08:05 AM
I just realiazed I posted some comments but no direct answer.

Ruger Redhawk with 5-1/2" barrel.

Then buy & install the reduced power spring kit from Brownells (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=731&title=RRH-102%20PRO-SPRING%20KIT%20FOR%20RUGER%20REDHAWK~) for $10.40.

5, 10, 20 years from now, you'll be glad you bought the Ruger.

Wyngnut
November 9, 2008, 11:34 AM
PT111

I agree with 44magnum, it's totally cool. It took me freakin forever to get used to the BLAM and recoil, that's why I practiced so much, it ain't fer evryone.

Me and that Ruger have a history...I first saw it in the store's display case in 1984, and fell in love. Having never shot a pistol before all I ever did was eye it and drool. That very same gun was on the shelf till 1989 when I finally got up the nerve and cash "to buy the gun noone ever wanted". Many handled, noone dared. It had abuse and scratches from 5 years worth of handling, and I just had to give it a home. Me and the guy behind the counter got to know each other pretty good over the years, heck, I bet he's still there.

Three things I will never part with, my Ruger, my blade, and my pipe.

bcarver
November 9, 2008, 12:32 PM
I shoot the 6" and 8 1/5'' model 29s
and 9 1/2'' super redhawk.
Redhawk is the way to go if you want to shoot hot reloads due to longer cylinder.
I like the 6'' for target fun and the 8.5 is scoped for hunting.