PDA

View Full Version : trying to Date a Colt SAA

freakintoguns
October 7, 2008, 02:23 PM
i inherited a Colt SAA from my grandpa and have been tossing the idea of selling it to a collector or someone who would use it. im pretty sure its a 2nd Gen but not too sure, the serial number starts with a JO

Wildalaska
October 7, 2008, 02:52 PM
"JO"?

WildareyousureAlaska ™

freakintoguns
October 7, 2008, 02:57 PM
yep JO

Wildalaska
October 7, 2008, 03:00 PM
There are no "JO" SAAs in normal production....got a pic?

WildcouldbeacommorativeoraclooneAlaska ™

freakintoguns
October 7, 2008, 03:15 PM
i can take one with my Cell if you msg me your cell phone number or a email address

Wildalaska
October 7, 2008, 03:21 PM
Naw you should just post it

WildhmmmAlaska ™

freakintoguns
October 7, 2008, 03:23 PM
fine fien fine! ill waste several seconds of my valubable time lookin at cool stuff when i should eb wqorking! lol jk gimme a few

freakintoguns
October 7, 2008, 03:24 PM
scratch that, damn cell phone camera sucks, ill take one when i get home

Tom2
October 7, 2008, 03:55 PM
Well I guess we can agree it is not first gen. with a letter prefix. Why would you want to sell an inherited SAA anyway? Do you have another one? Unless you are hard up for the money, I would set on it for a few years myself. I presume it is in good condition. And I don't know how young you are, but believe it or not, your tastes in guns may change over time and you may fully regret selling it in 10 or 15 years. You will get something like a wholesale price for it now, and some day when the prices are even higher, you would have to pay retail for another one, most likely. That is an heirloom most of us would love to receive. What are you gonna go get with the money, some plastic framed thing? :(

freakintoguns
October 7, 2008, 04:02 PM
i got aanother SAA from my Dad and thats one gun i wont sell unless somone has a gun to my head.

Tom2
October 7, 2008, 04:16 PM
Good idea. Keep at least one of them. Or if you are serious, you could get them both made into a matching pair, like same finish and grips etc. and wear one on each hip. Helps the balance and you have a backup! A real collector or individual will get you more money for it. Probably not anything like retail, that a dealer would ask, perhaps, but a dealer will really hose you on a trade in or outright buy in many cases.

James K
October 7, 2008, 04:25 PM
Many of the commemorative Colts (there was a slew of them) had such unique serial numbers. A quick search doesn't show any "JO", but it is possible that was used for some commemorative or special order.

Jim

freakintoguns
October 7, 2008, 04:38 PM
Tom, i tought about that, but seeing as we might not be having the right choice in office (well, it aint ron paul so it damn sure aint) selling the colt and picking up a AR might be my best course of action, seeing as certian politicians got there heads up their you know whats!

freakintoguns
October 7, 2008, 07:24 PM
so, i took the gun to a reputable gun store this afternoon, they said uit was acolt barrel ona great western frame. its worth about 300 bux

Tom2
October 7, 2008, 07:37 PM
Ouch. Well I guess that might get you an airsoft AR. Or an SKS and some ammo to hoard.

Jim Watson
October 8, 2008, 07:46 AM
The gun store is about half right, they want to make a profit.
Find a CAS shooter and it will be worth more to somebody who will really use it. Not a LOT more, but more than $300, probably up in there with the Eyetalian copies.

311unity13b
October 8, 2008, 08:50 AM
if you call Colt, they will tell you almost anything you want to know about the gun. I called to date 2 of my Colt's and the lady was very nice. Answered all my questions.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/contact.asp

Tel: 1-800-962-COLT

Keltyke
October 8, 2008, 08:53 AM
trying to Date a Colt SAA

Maybe you should ask SAA before you try to date his daughter, Colt. Unusual name for a girl, BTW.

44Magnum
October 8, 2008, 11:40 AM
That stinks. Now, the real question is: why the heck would you want to sell one of the best handguns ever made?

Keltyke
October 8, 2008, 01:15 PM
That stinks.
You're just jealous because you didn't think of it. :D

Now, the real question is: why the heck would you want to sell one of the best handguns ever made?
Ah...maybe because he doesn't think it is?

FrontSight
October 8, 2008, 01:32 PM
trying to Date a Colt SAA

Hmmm...would you not prefer to stick to your own species? :D

Keltyke
October 8, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hmmm...would you not prefer to stick to your own species?

I ain't going there! :eek: