PDA

View Full Version : S&W 686 sight adjustment question

oldredneck
October 1, 2008, 03:40 PM
I just purchased a NIB S&W 686 with 6" barrel. I fired both 158 gr .38 Spl. ammo and Hornady LeverEvolution .357 Mag. ammo from a sandbag rest at 25 yards. The point of impact with both loads was 4-6 inches low. After moving the elevation adjustment 6 clicks counterclockwise, I notice little change in point of impact. Can anyone tell me how much difference each click should make, 1/8", 1/4" or whatever, at 25 yards? I sent this question to Smith & Wesson by e-mail three days ago and haven't received an answer. Can anyone give me some pointers here?

stevieboy
October 1, 2008, 03:50 PM
I have no idea how much elevation each click is supposed to mean. However, my experience is that sometimes you have to crank the rear sight up quite a bit from the factory setting in order to zero the gun. I recently purchased a 686 SSR. When I got it I noticed that the rear sight was at its lowest setting. Sure enough, it shot low, very low, even at 7 yards. So, I began systematically raising it, a little bit at first, then, more aggressively. It took a good bit of raising but, now, it shoots to point of aim. After I'd done that I checked it against my other 686's rear sight and noticed that they had been raised an identical amount.

ShootingNut
October 1, 2008, 04:15 PM
Shooting Offhand, mine seems to be as good as I am for the day. Personally I'm so irractic day to day, that adjusting my sights is a waste of time for me.
All in all, I love my 686+ and it shoots probably better for accuracy than any of my Semi's. But, I do love them all.:D
Regards,
SN

Jart
October 1, 2008, 05:13 PM
My, what a propitious thread.

I just took my newest to the range at lunch today and found it hitting around 3" low and 3" to the right - consistently. The group wasn't anything I'd brag about in this crowd but was better than my average.

I've only recently flirted with new product and the other was spot on - the cylinder front seemed pretty well burned so I was guessing somebody actually checked it at the factory. This one, not so much.

Anyhow, if I remember bistromathics right, the sights are 5" apart. It was 252" (thereabouts) to the target. I'm guessing any deflection of the rear sight will be multiplied approximately 50 times at the target, so I'll need to move the rear just under 1/16" left and up.

Seems like a lot.
What am I missing?

I suppose I could have simply made the same shooting error. 100 times in a row. It was double action, after all. But the other new-ish trigger cocking thing was POI=POA.

And, I have no idea how many "clicks" that would be. Even if I've disremembered my bistromathics, a "click" would seem to be different for each barrel length. N'cest pas?

Majic
October 1, 2008, 05:44 PM
Crank it on up (just remember your click count) and see what you got. If you go to far you can always back it down.

oneounceload
October 1, 2008, 11:00 PM
is the levervolution ammo for a pistol? - thought that was for lever rifles with tubular magazines....

bikerbill
October 2, 2008, 08:44 AM
Fascinating how the same gun from the same manufacturer can be so different when you actually take it to the range ....

I have a 4-inch 686+ which shoots to point of aim at 7-10 yards and has since the first time I shot it. I've never had to touch the factory sights in any way, so I have no idea how many clicks you need to change the POI so dramatically. Guess the guy who mounted mine knew what he was doing.

oldredneck
October 2, 2008, 07:06 PM
I just received an e-mail answer from Smith & Wesson. They say each click should move the point of impact .5 inches at 25 yards. We'll see how accurate that is the next trip to the range. They also said the pistols are not zeroed at the factory. Looks like it would be a good idea for them to zero at 25 yards, doesn't it?

Majic
October 3, 2008, 12:26 PM
Looks like it would be a good idea for them to zero at 25 yards, doesn't it?
Why? They have no idea what ammo you will be using and what range you will be shooting at.