PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Blackhawk 9mm/357 Convertable

XD45Sooner
September 30, 2008, 07:53 PM
Anyone have one of these? How does it shoot? I am thinking about picking one up on Thursday. How does the 9mm shoot compared to the 357? Do they hit close to the same spot?

nutty ned
September 30, 2008, 08:24 PM
I think the 9mm ammo shoots best with lead bullets.
Otherwise the .357 is the most accurate.
I find there is a half turn in elevation nec when switching
cilinders. It may be different amount for you, but, consistent each time.

Ben Shepherd
October 1, 2008, 06:30 AM
Big difference in point of impact between 9mm and 357 mag. 38 special and 9mm hit fairly close.

Accuracy wise, at least in mine, 9mm is pretty good, but not great. The heavy 147 grain or lead slugs to shoot noticeably more accurate. My theory being the lead slugs are slightly bigger, and the 147s are long for the caliber. Both of these characteristics help with rifling engagement given the 9mms smaller diameter.

XD45Sooner
October 1, 2008, 05:13 PM
Is there a big difference in the POI between the 357 and the 38 special? I will be using the 38 special for plinking so I can hold high if I have to. How is the recoil with the magnums? I shout a vaquero with 38 special and it was almost like shooting a .22. I am not really concerned with the 9mm, I am just getting the convertable one because it has wood grips are on it. I mean, 9mm and 38 special cost about the same for practice ammo now anyways