View Full Version : HELP: I want a Revolver

New_Pollution1086
September 22, 2008, 07:52 PM
I want to buy a revolver.

I'm debating between a 2" 3" 4" barrel.
2"- best for concealment
4"- most accurate???
would a 3" be the best of both worlds?

I'm also thinking a Taurus because I hear they have great customer service, I haven't heard too much bad things about them and my old man has one (though I've never shot it). Plus I'm a relatively broke college kid so the price is attractive. I've decided on the .357mag for the caliber, I don't think anyone hear would disagree with that, and I have what I need to reload having briefly owned a s&wmod 10.

edit: this is not about brand of gun its about barrel length, and why that length. some pros and cons of each one.

T

dieselmech
September 22, 2008, 07:57 PM
also take a look at the ruger sp101 and the gp100. imho they are a little nicer

Oldphart
September 22, 2008, 08:04 PM
My wife has a Taurus Model 65 in .357 Mag and she loves it! It's an older version of the Model 66 in case you're wondering. She searched for awhile before settling on it for the smaller grip. Her hands are quite small which completely ruled out all those double-stack autos. It's accurate, solid and we've never had occasion to worry about a warranty since it just keeps working.

bcarver
September 22, 2008, 08:08 PM
I reccomend the 4" w adjustable sights for all around shooting.
A 3'' with fixed sights and round butt would conceal better.
taurus is good. smith better. rossi worse. I

bigghoss
September 22, 2008, 08:09 PM
if you heard taurus has good customer service then you haven't done much research on the topic.

I have a 2'' taurus 605 wich is a 5 shot .357 snub. so far the only real problem has been that the cylinder latch got stuck keeping the cylinder from locking shut. something I was able to fix myself very easily but could have cost me my life if it had happened in an actual encounter rather than at the range. while I've got it fixed I'm still not totally confident in the gun, I'll have to shoot it a lot more before I get that confidence back.

you should look into a ruger, less expensive than a smith but built like a tank. weather you should get a 5 shot 2" sp101 or a 4 inch gp100 is something you'll need to figure out for yourself. but maybe this might be what you're looking for

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1715&return=Y

or this

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5719&return=Y

New_Pollution1086
September 22, 2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the help so far, but i really want an opinion on choice of barrel length and why.

Thanks
T

tenusdad
September 22, 2008, 08:39 PM
Please do not buy a Taurus. Buy a Smith & Wesson, Ruger or Colt. Long after the few extra dollars in purchase price are forgotten you will still have the gun. Taurus resale value is poor with good reason. I have never been sorry I bought Smith, Ruger or Colt over the years.

John Moses
September 22, 2008, 08:46 PM
If you have to buy new, the SP101 is very good. Needs a little trigger help which you can do yourself.

If you are okay with a used gun, go to an older Smith. They are the best quality/price ratio product on the market.

Best of luck

MrBorland
September 22, 2008, 09:20 PM
Sigh. This kills me. The OP specifically stated:

this is not about brand of gun its about barrel length

Even so, he gets...

take a look at the ruger sp101 and the gp100

and...

My wife has a Taurus Model 65 in .357 Mag and she loves it!

and...

if you heard taurus has good customer service then you haven't done much research on the topic.

you should look into a ruger, less expensive than a smith but built like a tank.

The OP then politely reminds everyone...
i really want an opinion on choice of barrel length and why

...yet he still gets...

Please do not buy a Taurus. Buy a Smith & Wesson, Ruger or Colt.

If you have to buy new, the SP101 is very good.

To the OP: depends on what you want to use the gun for: The 4" would be a better range gun. Easier to be accurate. The 3" balances great, and carries well. Both are great all-arounders. I don't think you give up much accuracy at combat distances with the 3", but if you're looking for a target revolver you can carry, go with the 4". I have a 4" L-frame and a 3" k-frame. The 3" k-frame is a fantastic gun; perhaps the best combat revolver made. I used it recently in a local IDPA match, but FWIW, I'd use my 4" 686 next time.

tschmittel
September 22, 2008, 09:24 PM
I would get a 4". The grip is what prints and is the hardest part to conceal not the length of barrel.

Smaug
September 22, 2008, 09:46 PM
Can you carry there in Chico CA? I thought CA was pretty much against carry? If that is the case, go with the 4", it will be much easier to hit with. If you can carry, 3" would be good, but will be harder to find. 2-1/2" is pretty common.

You also brought up brands, defended Taurus, then said it isn't about brands. :confused:

I will go with the others as I have not read anything good about Taurus customer service. Pray that you get a good gun from the getgo and you don't need to find out. Go with an SP-101, and you'll thank us later.

Just trying to help a brother out. It sounds more like it is about price than anything, and in that case, I'll seek out a used S&W or Ruger instead of a new Taurus.

stevieboy
September 22, 2008, 10:08 PM
A 4" barrel has a longer sight radius than the shorter models and that makes it easier to shoot accurately. If accuracy is your goal, than by all means start witha 4 incher. If you have some other purpose, such as a defensive sidearm, then a shorter barrel makes more sense.

madmag
September 22, 2008, 10:19 PM
I have 2", 3", 4", 6". I like the my 3" best for balance. It is .357 so for close in work it is powerful enough. If I am out in the woods and open carry then I like 4" or 6" the best....longer sight radius for longer possible shots.

Also, 3" is my personal comfort limit for revolver concealed carry.

gak
September 22, 2008, 10:46 PM
+1` on 3" - yes just as you've inquired, I do believe best of both/all worlds. It's great in just about all respects, but especially as a carry "compromise" of course. I've got a (rare-ish now) S&W 65-5 Lady Smith, pre-lock (like most are, but I think they made a limited number post-lock) - one of the nicest guns you'd want to own. Satin stainless, round butt. The only way I know of, short of custom shop, to get a full shroud/lug, fixed sight K - 3". The adj sight 66 of same configuration otherwise is also very nice. Also see a 3" picture thread running now.

John Moses
September 22, 2008, 10:49 PM
Geez Mr Boreland,

Have a nice glass of tequila. (100% agave only!)

True he said that he did not care which brand...and then named Taurus, the Assosaurus.

Some offered suggestions and you didn't like them.

On the other hand, I will go with his later comment that suggests that he need more basic instruction.

NP,

A 4 inch barrel is a good "all purpose" barrel length. Reasonably accurate and reasonable size.

If you are going to carry it the shorter barrels are required.

Personally speaking, I carry a snubby 38 often. And when I go into the field, I carry a 4" inch .357.

Get the largest most powerful gun that you can use. It will serve you well.

A 4inch 357 is perhaps the most versatile gun made. But not good for concealment.

Casimer
September 22, 2008, 11:16 PM
Longer revolver barrels = higher resulting velocity relative to shorter barrels for the same load. So a bullet leaving a 6" bbl is moving faster than that leaving a 4" which is faster than a 3" etc..

Higher velocity = more energy = greater force on impact.

Also the balance of the revolver shifts forward as the barrel length increases. This affect tends to reduce perceived recoil and your ability to reacquire the target after firing. It also results in a heavier total weight for the revolver.

Personally I'd go w/ a 4" for .357 - actually I'd go w/ a 6", but that's not one of your options.

bigghoss
September 22, 2008, 11:26 PM
if someone comes up to you and says, "hey I'm about buying a truck, probably a (insert brand that has a horrible reputation) should I get an extended or crew cab?" are you going to say, "well probably the extended cab since you don't have kids." or "don't get that brand, I had one and it was a lemon."

and since he didn't say exactly what he wanted if for other than hinting at CC it's hard to offer advice.

but in my opinion 4" 6 shot for a first revolver especially in a .357 mag.

my second handgun ever was a S&W 19-3 4'' bbl that I still have

unless you don't go play in the woods and only plan on carrying it then go with a 2" or 3" if it's a multi purpose gun then 4"

bigghoss
September 22, 2008, 11:56 PM
oopse double post

New_Pollution1086
September 23, 2008, 12:15 AM
thanks Mr.borland for helping me keep people on track.

and i did forget to mention some info on use and myself, it will be my only pistol so it will be an all arounder, range gun/cc, and yes you can get them here. In fact i think this is the easiest county to get them in in CA(butte).
Im 6'3 and at least 270lbs so im by no means a small dude. And the reason i chose taurus is mostly based on price, like I said College student ya know, when i get a real job ill by a smith and a ruger probaly, but for now im a man of limited means. if I happen upon a nice used smith/colt/ruger withink my price range and needs ill hop on it but if not...

T

skeeter1
September 23, 2008, 12:27 AM
Well, I've got 2", 3", 4", 5", and 6". Of those, I'd have to say the 4" is your best bet. I know you said you're on a college-student budget (been there, done that), so I won't mention brands. Mine are all pretty expensive now, but we all have to start someplace. The 2"-er is strictly my HD gun. The 6"-er is strictly a target gun. The others fall nicely in between, but I'd say if you can only get one, 4" is probably best. Just my humble two-cents worth. :)

Flipper 56
September 23, 2008, 12:38 AM
NP 1086,
I'm 6'0'' 300# and so we are similar sized dudes. I usually have no trouble concealing my 4" Ruger GP 100 357 mag with the right holster. I also have a Taurus 651 Protector which I carry in a pocket holster. Not both at the same time :eek:. The 4" Ruger is more accurate, less recoil , bigger gun while the 2.5 Taurus is easy to conceal but can be a killer as far as recoil goes.
A little off - topic but worth mentioning is the FACT Don't listen to people knocking Taurus quality. Their revolvers have come a long way. I have a 444 Ultralite in 44 mag and I love it ! It was way less $$$$ than comparable S&W. If you are a struggling college student you can usually find a used Taurus 85 for about $200 or a Ruger GP for $300 depending on condition. Enjoy your shootin' :cool:

Elvishead
September 23, 2008, 01:50 AM
2" barrel snubs can be very accuarate. Best for carry!

3" are just a "little" long for pocket carry.

4" will be a little harder to carry but you can with the right holster.

With my S&W snub 1 7/8", I can get 5"-6" groups at 25 yards freehand.

I'm also thinking a Taurus because I hear they have great customer service

Unlike S&W and Ruger, Taurus make you pay ($50-60 overnight) to ship them a defective gun. Take that into account.

Elvishead
September 23, 2008, 01:54 AM
I know you ony want to talk about barrel lengths. But you did mention getting a Taurus. Go to Budsgunshop.com and you'll see the Ruger SP101 is only $90 more.

Majic
September 23, 2008, 02:36 AM
But you did mention getting a Taurus. Go to Budsgunshop.com and you'll see the Ruger SP101 is only $90 more.
Yeah just 90 bucks more. Then add shipping. Don't forget about transfer fees. Ain't so cheap now is it?

Check all the pawnshops. Take someone who knows guns with you. You can find guns that look like hell but are mechanically sound. You can sometimes get real good prices on them. Don't get hung up on the .357 magnum. A .38 spl will be just fine.

Elvishead
September 23, 2008, 03:20 AM
Yeah just 90 bucks more. Then add shipping. Don't forget about transfer fees. Ain't so cheap now is it?

Buds prices include shipping. And you don't pay tax's, ...girlfriend!!! (Snap, snap!)

thesecond
September 23, 2008, 04:23 AM
get a 2" snub, smith and wesson, plenty around for under $300. Then, Crimson Trace grips to "compensate" for the short sight radius. :p

Andy W
September 23, 2008, 06:44 AM
I have both 3" & 4" K Frames. I carry the 3" more than the 4" as it conceals a little better.

Smaug
September 23, 2008, 07:14 AM
Buds prices include shipping. And you don't pay tax's, ...girlfriend!!! (Snap, snap!)

:D
Looks like Elvishead's been drinking again.

Smaug
September 23, 2008, 07:15 AM
Im 6'3 and at least 270lbs so im by no means a small dude. And the reason i chose taurus is mostly based on price, like I said College student ya know, when i get a real job ill by a smith and a ruger probaly, but for now im a man of limited means.

So, you have decided to eliminate the option of buying quality used, in favor of junky new? :rolleyes:

Whirlwind06
September 23, 2008, 07:16 AM
I would go with the 4 inch .357. Pretty much the Ford Truck of the handgun world. If it was me it would be either a S&W or a Ruger.

Mark Milton
September 23, 2008, 07:34 AM
Taurus used to make a model 65 with fixed sights in a 3 inch barrell.
It had a shrouded ejector rod too, something only available later on the S&W Ladysmith, I might add.

It was a good gun.
Personally for an all around gun, I like a three inch barrel.
I have a model 65 which is big enough to shoot well with like a 4 inch job, but compact enough for CCW. I also have a 3 inch 629 that I CCW during fall.
Taurus used to make "K" size frame guns with 3 inch tubes and there was a run of their bigger .44 frame guns with three inch tubes a few years back.
These days though, most of their new guns are either 4, 6, or 2 and a half inch barrel jobs.

The people who **** and moan about Taurus quality would be ******* and moaning about S&W, Colt, or Ruger if they had bought examples I have seen of those guns too. I have seen a Colt that wouldn't lock up right, Smiths with timing issues and uneven barrel/cylinder rotation leading to jams, thumb latches falling off and of course my all time favorite. A model 25 with no yoke screw.
Every maker turns loose an egg now or then. Taurus is no better or worse in those regards than the other guys.
These days, I am finding myself fonder of the Bull for a couple of reasons.
Taurus is not afraid to try different things - The Raging Bull series, the five shot .41 and .44 magnum trackers, the TI guns, etc.
And you will find no hillary hole on a Taurus and only two peice barrels on the TI jobs.

Majic
September 23, 2008, 07:48 AM
There is still the transfer fees. Price is now over 100 bucks higher and the OP still is on a limited budget.

John Moses
September 23, 2008, 11:27 AM
So, you have decided to eliminate the option of buying quality used, in favor of junky new?

You can always count on Smaug to say it like it is

Bandit
September 23, 2008, 01:19 PM
All arounder? Get a 4", a big guy like you should have no problem concealing it with a good holster/belt rig.

Limited budget? Save just a little longer and get quality. If it were me, I'd pass on Taurus for my one and only weapon.

Just my .02

New_Pollution1086
September 23, 2008, 06:34 PM
I went to the gunnery (both actually) to see a used selection, and of the 10-12 used pistols only 4 were revolver and only one was under 5" a s&w 1903 in .32.
there isn't a large amount of used handguns around here since CA has backwards laws about selling them. plus this is a small city of only like 80,000 people. So i think my purchase will be made online.

is it true that buds price has shipping included?

also after looking at them I kind of like the Taurus 605ss b/c its a 2.5" barrel and I think the crimson trace grip will help make up for accuracy.

and this will not be my one and only weapon, just only pistol. I have a shotgun and three rifles.

T

John Moses
September 23, 2008, 06:53 PM
Personally I would wait until better pickings come along.

After all it is your signature that says "Don't rush the monkey and you'll see a better show."

Majic
September 23, 2008, 10:42 PM
First snub guns aren't that easy to shoot accurately. They really are for experienced shooters. Second I don't think a laser sight doesn't help accuracy. I t allows an increase in speed but mainly shows just how bad you can hold on target.

Casimer
September 23, 2008, 10:49 PM
If you haven't shot .357 from a snubbie before, you should try it first.

New_Pollution1086
September 23, 2008, 11:52 PM
If you haven't shot .357 from a snubbie before, you should try it first.

Thats probably true, I have shot an ultra lite s&w snub in ,38+p and it did have a bit of kick. but i think i can handle it. and im not completely new to handguns, ive spent some time with a 6"python a smith highway patrol special .357(i think its a smith, the owner didn't answer when i called him a second ago to ask) a SAXD .40, .45 and a few 1911's. so a few high recoil guns, all owned by close friends.

how does .38+p compare to .357 in regards to effectiveness and kick?

T

p.s. sorry if I am just a fountain of questions but no one in my family is into guns.

Elvishead
September 24, 2008, 01:13 AM
Mr New, Bud's has a Taurus 605 Blue 2" for $312 delivered to an FFL dealer. You just need to find a FFL dealer that will do a transfer, they'll usually charge $20-25 so it will be $337 after everything, unless the dealer charges more on a transfer.

Do search for dealers that dose transfers in your area.

nobody_special
September 24, 2008, 01:51 AM
Elvishead, transfer fees in California are often much higher than that. Then there's the DROS (registration) fee. Then there's the fee for taking the exam for the handgun safety certificate.

See this: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1031661&postcount=15

Jkwas
September 24, 2008, 08:34 AM
I'm debating between a 2" 3" 4" barrel.
2"- best for concealment
4"- most accurate???
would a 3" be the best of both worlds?

A 3" is not the best of both worlds, but stands out on it's own.
If buying for ccw, a 2in is best as you can pocket it or carry it on your belt. Mind you, if you are going to pocket carry, get an ultralight, or really don't bother. That's just my experience anyway. For IWB or OWB, the 3" really stands out. Much easier to hide owb than the 4", and doesn't poke you as much iwb. Once again, my experience. The 3" is better balanced and goes to POA much faster. The 4" is a better bedside and range gun IMO. That's what I use mine for.

New_Pollution1086
September 24, 2008, 10:23 AM
Thank for all the help guys. I know of all the fees, to buy online its $65 for ffl and CA doj fee, and a one time $25 fee for the pistol ownership test. I figured it's going to be cheaper online, b/c they had the 605 for $419 in the gunnery around here.

Thanks again
T

22-rimfire
September 24, 2008, 12:45 PM
You seem set on the Taurus. From what I hear, their customer service is poor if it matters to you ultimately in your choice.

You are thinking all around gun and shorter the barrel the better.... okay, Ruger GP100 with 3" barrel or SP101 and laser sights. Better than Taurus for the most part and cheaper than Smith & Wesson. You pay for quality. I prefer Colt and Smith revolvers, but I do have the 3" GP100, Redhawk, Blackhawk, and Super Redhawk from the Ruger line.

Majic
September 24, 2008, 01:02 PM
Even if that Python and M28 had magnum loads in them when you shot them they don't compare to a small frame revolver with the magnum loads. So excluding those 2 revolvers you haven't dealt with high recoiling handguns. There is quite a bit of difference in a +P .38 and a .357 magnum. After considering the difference in recoil of the loads you also have to factor in the magnum revolvers you did shoot weigh around 40 ounces and the one you are considering weighs around 25 ounces. They are a handful when you drop the hammer. This is not to deter you from what you want but to give you something to think about as you haven't ventured into that world of revolver shooting. Like suggested earlier you really should try to shoot one before making final plans.

JustDreadful
September 24, 2008, 11:45 PM
3" barrel for increased velocity over the 2". Kinda tough to find, though.

vytoland
September 29, 2008, 06:11 AM
If you have not fired a .357 cartridge out of a short barrel (2" - 3") revolver you best try it before you buy it. There is a definite difference in the buck and roar of a .357 magnum vs a .38+p.

If your budget is limited, then browse the internet gun auctions, Gun Brokers, Guns America, Guns International, ShootersXchange, etc. You can get a S&W in above average condition for less than what you will pay for a new something else.

Jkwas
September 29, 2008, 08:21 AM
You can easily simulate shooting a .357 from a 2in. barrel.
First: Put your hand on a table. Second: Hit the web of you hand with a ball peen hammer. There you have it! :D
All kidding aside, it really is brutal. I can only manage about 5 rounds using a fairly heavy 2in snub. The upside to the heaviness is that it makes shooting 38+p very comfortable. So don't rule it out completely.

Tatsumi67
September 29, 2008, 09:04 AM
I'm on the same question, I dont know what barrel length is right to carry and use for sport in the same instance.

VonFireball
September 29, 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm on the same question, I dont know what barrel length is right to carry and use for sport in the same instance.

Quit listening to the boring voice of reason and just get a buntline with a 12 inch pipe on it.

You want accurate?

There you go.

SmokeyVol
September 29, 2008, 07:47 PM
I have a Ruger SP101 .357 w/ 3 1/16" barrel & Hogue rubber grips. Recoil is very manageable and accuracy is very good. Kick w/ .357 magnum feels about double a .38 special and muzzle flash is much larger.

KyJim
September 29, 2008, 08:03 PM
If I had to choose only one revolver length for carry, home defense, and plinking, I would get a 3 inch barreled revolver. I have the 1 7/8, 2 1/2, 3, and 4 inch barrels (and longer). The 4 inch barrel revolvers can be a bit difficult to conceal. The 2 inch barreled guns don't give much of a sight radius. The 3 inch is a good compromise -- not too difficult to conceal and giving adequate sighting length for reasonable distances. In addition, you'll get better velocity from the 3 inch than the 2 inch.

Ideally you could get 2 or 3 revolvers with different barrel lengths. :) But, we don't live in an ideal world. :(

Elvishead
September 29, 2008, 10:15 PM
nobody_special

Elvishead, transfer fees in California are often much higher than that. Then there's the DROS (registration) fee. Then there's the fee for taking the exam for the handgun safety certificate.

See this: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1&postcount=15

Oooohh! I see!

So besides the unavoidable cost's no matter were he buys it from, it's $65 for a gun transfer. Right? Does he have to pay tax's for a online order? If not, he would save about $24 at 7.5%

New_Pollution1086
September 30, 2008, 12:28 AM
No I would not have to pay CA tax, and its $90 in fees.
$40 ffl charge
$25 CADOJ fee
$25 pistol license fee

buds has both for the same price the only problem is the 3" (which is what i think is what i want) is on wait list and the 2" is available now. and despite what my quote says (good burn JM) I'm an impatient person so i may just get the 2".

T

batmann
October 5, 2008, 08:41 PM
This been advised over and over again, but, it is hard to beat a 4" revolver in .357 Magnum. If you plan to carry, get a GOOD pancake, high ride holster and while not as easy to conceal as a 2-3 ", a good holster design will help.