View Full Version : FFL

September 18, 2008, 05:18 AM
Ok so im kinda new to the scene but do i need an FFL or is it just an option like if im buying a gun i need one or only if im a dealer? and i apologize if this is the wrong place to put this im still getting used to this forum thanks.

September 18, 2008, 05:53 AM
find an FFL (http://www.gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp)
state by state gun laws (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/)

September 18, 2008, 06:43 AM
Like Ringworm, I would say read the State law's at least a min of one time so you can get a decent idea of how all this is suppose to work, each State is a little different.

September 18, 2008, 07:58 PM
but what is it exactly? i looked it up and i found "federal firearm license" which sounds reasonable but i can buy one in a kit for like a little over $10 or something like that and from what i found that constitutes me to get discounts on firearms by buying them wholesale and all this other stuff so i got confused and started reading more on here and jus got even more confused lol

September 18, 2008, 08:07 PM
theres a lot more to it then a 10 dollar kit
first off you have to be felon free
then theres the federal fees for the permit
and you must keep all your records because the atf can come in at anytime to check them

September 18, 2008, 08:10 PM
(03 FFL) or C&R FFL is $30 application fee and if approved your C&R FFL is good for three years. Only downfall of the C&R is that it is only good for certain firearms, they have to be (1) 50 years old or older or (2) determined to be a Curio or collectible by the BATF. Almost all you older military firearms qualify and some newer (60's-70's and 80's rifles like the Yugo SKS's)

An (01 FFL) or Dealers FFL is a bit more difficult to obtain after the Clinton Administration didn't allow lots of "home dealers" to renew. They cleaned house and eliminated bunches of them! I believe it will cost you about $250 or $300 for an 01 FFL and other requirements will be stricter in qualifying. If you can get one, you'll be able to buy direct all types of firearms.

September 18, 2008, 09:03 PM
see i knew there was more to it then what i was reading online thats why i was tryin to figure it out. ok so in order to buy or sell any firearm you have to go through someone with an FFL?

September 18, 2008, 10:04 PM
all of the following applies only if you are not a convicted felon and are of legal age.

it is legal to buy rifles, shotguns and pistols in texas face to face from an individual who is also a resident of texas

having a firearm shipped into texas from another state requires an FFL(read gunshop) to recieve it.

you order the weapon, have your FFL send the required information to the seller and the seller ships the weapon to your FFL.

you go to your FFL, fill out the federal paperwork, he calls it in for instant background check and once that is done(ive never seen it take over ten minutes except one time when some system was down and i had to come back next day) he hands you the weapon. most of them charge a slight fee for this service.

thats it in texas. you dont have to do any other kind of registration or permitting to own the weapon.

other states have different rules. for instance, i am from texas, am a resident there, but am working temporarily in washington state. i can buy rifles and shotguns here from an FFL, but no pistols. i cannot buy face to face from a washington resident. it must go through an FFL.

September 18, 2008, 10:32 PM
well thank you very much SHAMAN its greatly appreciated i am here in texas so you dont texhnically have to have the wepon "put in your name"? im originally from california and i remember everyone talkin bout having it in their name i dont really know how it works. also shaman if you could answer this for me because i have two guns in california still would i need to go through an FFL to bring them to texas? or could i just drive across the state border with them?

September 18, 2008, 10:47 PM
If the firearms are yours and registered to you you can take em with you. Where i live its pretty gun friendly. But when i lived in omaha i had to reg. a handgun with the police dept. then go pick it up from the store but outside of city limits i could show my handgun buyers permit and take it home then. Know your areas rules and laws saves time and hassel of having to go to court LOL most shops can help some but always good to talk to LE

September 18, 2008, 10:49 PM
if you aint in california, it aint california's business. bring your guns over.

there is no requirement or permit of any kind in texas as long as you are not a convicted felon and are of age.

if you are texas resident, go to one of the concealed carry classes and get the permit. if i remember right, having the permit cuts out the federal instant check. (uhhm, is this correct yall?)

and by the way, one of the mods may move this as this is the forum for buying and selling long guns.

September 18, 2008, 10:53 PM
ok lol well i technically didnt buy them my dad gave them to me and he bought them FTF and they are not in my name in cali either so i was just checkin that out and where could i find one of those classes around cedar park, austin area if you know of any that is.

September 18, 2008, 10:54 PM
O and i have no felonies or anything like that on my record so its clean

September 19, 2008, 09:01 PM
chl requirements.

Must have a Texas Drivers License or Texas ID
- Must be at least 21 years of age (or 18 if active military)
- You must not have been convicted of a felony
- You must not be currently charged with the commission of a Class A or B misdemeanor
- You must not be a fugitive from justice
- You must not be a chemically dependant person
- You must not be incapable of excercising sound judgement with respect to firearms safety
- You must not have been convicted in the last 5 years of a Class A or B misdemeanor
- You must be qualified under federal and state law to purchase a handgun
- You must not have any late judgements against you for taxes, school loans or child support
- You must not be currently restricted under a protective order or restraining order affecting a spousal relationship
- You must not have made any material misrepresentation or failed to disclose any material fact in an application for a CHL

i wasnt even aware of the existance of cedar park, to me it was just, "all that area west of round rock"

heres a place right there in cedar park. i dont know anything about em, just googled it up.

September 20, 2008, 09:17 AM
thanks man i appreciate it a bunch so i have to have a texas drivers license to purchase a handgun or just a texas id? cuz i cant really get my texas license till i get ahold of the stupid people in colorado bout an unpaid ticket but they wont answer my calls or anything but ya thanks for the help.

September 20, 2008, 10:20 AM
Since moving to TX I've bought around half a dozen firearms from dealers, a few prior to my CHL, a few after getting it.

One or the other was always required for purchase. Your Texas Driver's License is proof, issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety, that you are a Texas state resident. To the best of my knowledge you can't use a utility bill or any other nonsense as a substitute. A Texas Concealed Handgun License is further proof, issued by the Texas DPS that you are not only a state resident but fully legally qualified (i.e. not a felon) to own and carry a firearm - per state law presentation of a valid CHL supercedes the need for a federal background check so having one does make buying go a little quicker (though the difference is around, at most, 10 minutes).

You can purchase a firearm from a fellow state resident without going through a federally licensed licensed dealer, but that seller is still legally obligated to see your DPS-issued proof of residency (either a Driver's License or a Concealed Handgun License).

In short: you can't buy a gun in Texas from anyone until you at least get a driver's license.

As to guns you already own from out of state: it is entirely legal for you to personally transport firearms your own from California, Colorado, or anywhere else to your new residence in Texas without saying a word to anyone. In the state of Texas there is no firearm registration so whether the guns are "in your name" or not is entirely irrelavent. All that matters is that you can legally possess a firearm, and that the firearms aren't stolen. (And no, a Texas Driver's License isn't required to possess the firearms you already own, it's just required to buy in Texas).

October 15, 2008, 09:19 PM
wow thanks ChicagoTex u explained a ton of what i wanted to know and thanks to all the guys (and gals if any that replied) you all helped out a ton ok so anyone have any input on a helwan 9mm? ive heard a lot of mixed reviews

October 15, 2008, 09:28 PM
so anyone have any input on a helwan 9mm? ive heard a lot of mixed reviews

It's a junk gun, alongside Hi-Point, Jennings, Bryco, Skyy (Scyy), Raven, and countless either cheap pot-metal guns. Some might work, but they're far from anything resembling quality.

While I'm not a big fan of Bersa or Kel-Tec, their products can be had at similar price points and they are undeniably superior firearms.

An S&W SW9VE Sigma is another good, low-budget choice.

If it were me though, I'd stretch to around $300 for a Ruger or a used S&W steel-framed auto.

October 15, 2008, 09:34 PM
thats not bad at all cuz the guy that was sellin it told me 300 and i did some research on it and was told i could get a new one for bout $169. it was kind of a last minute thing ive been lookin at this Rossi .357 mag w/6'' barrel brand new for $329

October 16, 2008, 03:01 AM
Rossis aren't bad but for $330 or so if you shop around you could probably find a lightly used Ruger GP100, which would be better.

October 16, 2008, 09:16 AM
having a firearm shipped into texas from another state requires an FFL(read gunshop) to recieve it.
Yes and no. Handgun, yes. Rifle or shotgun, not necessarily.

If you buy a rifle or shotgun from an out-of-state FFL and the transaction takes place at their registered place of business, they may ship it to your home address, you can ship it to your home address, or you can simply bring it back to TX with you. (FWIW "registered place of business" means not at a gun show or on the web.)

Texas has no laws restricting these types of transactions. You are welcome to bring in as many guns as you want from out of state. There's no permit, registration, or reporting required.

Handguns, on the other hand, must be transferred through an FFL under federal law.

More info in this thread:


October 16, 2008, 09:51 PM
alright thanks a bunch and chicagoTex that Ruger is a .357 mag? im sry i dont mean to sound dumb but there are a lot of different numbers and things lol hard to keep up.

October 16, 2008, 10:10 PM
The Ruger GP100 is indeed a .357 Magnum.

October 16, 2008, 11:34 PM
sweet ya after i asked i kinda researcheda lil and found a lot on it lol lots of different variation on the Ruger.