View Full Version : Form 4 CLEO signoff....

September 16, 2008, 08:47 PM
Who can sign off on my Form 4? My town doesn't have any a city/town police department only a sheriffs department for the county (which is 30 miles away). Does the county sheriff himself have to sign it or can one of his deputies? Thanks

September 16, 2008, 08:55 PM
The Sheriff must sign as the LEo or his designee if authorized. Should not be a problem.

It is not a permission slip...just a certification it would not violate local/state law.

Required review per SCOTUS or its is discrimination.

September 16, 2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. :cool:

cold dead hands
September 17, 2008, 12:18 AM
A district attorney (maybe even a city attorney) can sign off as well.

I could be wrong, but I think the head of your local state police unit can sign as well since he has authority that equals or surpasses a county sheriffs.

The sign-off requirement is there to verify that you are not prohibited from owning a weapon by someone who has the ability to vet you.

September 17, 2008, 11:09 AM
See this link (http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/FAQ/nfa_-_who_can_sign.htm):

(S)ection 179.85 of the regulations provides, in pertinent part, as follows:

A certificate of the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, State or local district attorney or prosecutor, or such other person whose certificate may in a particular case be acceptable to the Director, shall be completed on each copy of the Form 4 (Firearms). The certificate shall state that the certifying official is satisfied that the fingerprints and photograph accompanying the application are those of the applicant and that the certifying official has no information indicating that the receipt or possession of the firearm would place the transferee in violation of State or local law or that the transferee will use the firearm for other than lawful purposes.

As a general rule, the following can sign:

* Chief of Police for your town
* Sheriff for your county
* Chief of state police for your state
* District Attorney for your area
* Prosecutor for your area
* State Attorney General for your state
* Judges for your state, with some limitations
* Head of state Fish & Game Department as CLEO for wildlife issues
* Anyone who has been delegated the authority to sign for one of the above

Some state specific ones are:

* Alaska State Troopers
* Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Director of the GBI Crime Info Center, (404) 244-2605
* Vermont State Police