View Full Version : Sale only to other C&Rs?

September 7, 2008, 03:37 PM

Just recently got my own C&R license. So when I had some questions, I called the ATF to clear them up. One thing he said, in passing, was that I could only make sales, or transfers only to other C&R licensees.

Is that correct, or did the ATF guy tell me a fib?

September 7, 2008, 03:52 PM

September 7, 2008, 03:53 PM
You can make sales or transfers to anyone inside your home state based on state law. The C&R doesn't affect this. As I live in Florida, I can sell my C&R guns to anyone over 18 years of age (that can legally own a gun). For C&R guns crossing state lines, you can sell them to any FFL, not just C&R FFLs.

September 7, 2008, 06:04 PM
either you misheard the ATF guy or he is a moron. I suspect moron.

September 7, 2008, 06:50 PM
either you misheard the ATF guy or he is a moron. I suspect moron.
Follow me!

Well said!

September 7, 2008, 07:12 PM
either you misheard the ATF guy or he is a moron. I suspect moron.

Hard to tell, I had a dealer, who was selling a C&R on gunbroker tell me, "my ATF agent says I can't ship to C&Rs, only FFLs." A C&R license is an FFL, but did he just completely misunderstand, doesn't like C&R holders, or is it ATF stupidity or even sabotage? Who knows?

September 7, 2008, 07:19 PM
well you have to keep files and forms like any other FFL that sells to people. Fill out the 4473 and file it. And I don't think it really entitles you to start acting as a retailer of sorts to the public. No problem shipping stuff to other licensees when you get a copy of their FFL. I myself would not mess around selling much to individuals as if the ATF notices you are selling lots and lots of guns to non licensees they would maybe require you to get a regular FFL or worse. What do others think:confused:

September 7, 2008, 07:22 PM
Fill out the 4473 and file it.

C&R licensees do not use the 4473 form when selling to a non-licensee.

James K
September 7, 2008, 07:27 PM
First, some states don't recognize an 03 FFL, period. So if you sell a gun to another 03 FFL holder you both may be individuals under state or local law and have to jump through whatever hoops may be required.

Second, as a C&R holder, you can sell guns to anyone as long as you do it in accordance with federal and state law, the same as if you had no license. You have to record sales in your bound book. There is a trap, though. If you buy bunches of guns under your license, and sell bunches of guns to non-licensees, BATFE will certainly say you are a dealer. The C&R license is basically intended to let you purchase guns for your own collection and to trade guns with other collectors to improve your collection. It is not intended to allow you to buy and sell hundreds or thousands of guns a year.