View Full Version : Can anyone identify this????

September 1, 2008, 05:15 AM
It has a 2 3/4 inch screw off cannon barrell. It has a fold up hide-a-way trigger. It has a safety. The pistol grip is a one piece checkerd wood with what looks to be silver inlay on the backstrap, sides and bottom of grip. The bottom of the grip is in the shape of an egg. It has engraving on both sides. Left side says London-Right side says DE GG. There is no blueing on the gun. All parts on the gun appear to be in good mechanical condition and it still looks all original with no replaced parts. I've never seen a picture of this gun, but the gun itself seems to be in very good shape. Can anyone help with identifying. I am also interested in finding out what the value of this gun might be...Thanks for any help!!

papa shooter
September 1, 2008, 07:31 AM
Get in touch with Bull at this website. I don't have his e mail address but he might know what you have.

September 1, 2008, 07:53 AM
It's a screw barrel muff pistol made around the turn of the 19th century.

September 1, 2008, 11:42 AM
I don't know what it is, but I want it...nice find Tomygun...


September 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
I don't know what it is, but I want it

Women used to have those furry thingies they wore over their hands that was called a muff. Women used to carry guns like that inside it, so they were called muff pistols.

September 1, 2008, 03:22 PM
I guess there were never any "cops" around when one was needed way back then either! :D

4V50 Gary
September 1, 2008, 06:37 PM
I suspect that the "DE GG" are the owner's initials and not the maker's marks. I checked my copy of Blackmore's Gunmakers of London and Gunmakers of London Supplement and did not see any maker whose marks are similar. Richard Wilson made a similar gun but it did not feature a folding trigger (see Howard Blackmore's, English Pistols, page 15). J. N. George has several pocket pistols (or muff pistols if you will) illustrated that are similar on page 99 of his book, English Pistols and Revolvers.

Try contacting a curator at the Royal Armoury in Leeds or the Frazier Historical Museum in Louisville, KY.

September 1, 2008, 07:35 PM
Durrs-Egg is a style of lock. Off-hand I don't know if it is the manufacturers' name or just the style. The engraving on this gun, not being the best of quality, looks like it would be a 17th century Saturday Night Special. You can see the file marks on the hammer, too. I think that this was made for the less sophisticated that would not know that D EGG was not a Durrs-Egg.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

October 2, 2008, 12:23 AM
I think the Doc's on the right path here. I'd suspect it's a European (possibly Belgian) pistol capitalizing on a famous English maker's name/brand. This was often seen on 19th century shotguns too. Pretty neat little pistol all the same!

October 6, 2008, 04:02 PM
Durs Egg is not a lock type - he was a well-known maker of London who settled there from Switzerland. You can easily google his name and see how well-respected his products are.

His son was Joseph Egg who partnered with Henry Tatham in the early
1800s - Tatham & Egg of Charing Cross, London.

Yours is, as pointed out, what is commonly called a screw-barrel pistol, or as you just as correctly call a cannon-barrel pistol.

D. EGG of London - though the inscription looks added or enhanced the pistol is old certainly - DrLaw alludes to this: "The engraving on this gun, not being the best of quality" but it isn't 17th century (1600s) it is (if right) 18th century (1700s) - the pistol is probably 18th c.

The Frasier Museum is a waste of time - you'll find more online than good infor from them.

October 7, 2008, 06:15 PM
It is set up like the pedersoli replica caplock screw barrrels. they call the configuration a "box lock." Perdersoli said theirs is paterened after a belgian gun but they were common in england too.

October 10, 2008, 12:35 PM
mec is right, box-lock is also a correct term for these types of pistols