View Full Version : CCW permit and travel by car.

August 8, 2008, 08:27 PM
Greetings, I am new to CCW and am wondering what and if a person can carry in the car from state to state. Out of state is when I feel most like a target for bump and jump. I would like as much info as I can about this. Thank you

August 8, 2008, 08:35 PM
Here's a map that tells you what states honor your state's permit.... http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php Just follow the carry laws for the state you are visiting (best to find the laws on that states website) and you will be good.

August 8, 2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the come back and the web page. What do you do driving though the states that do not take my CCW permit. Stop and put it away, Stop and get it out. state after state. I thought my car was like my home away from home. And is anyone working on a fed. permit?

August 8, 2008, 09:10 PM
What do you do driving though the states that do not take my CCW permit. Stop and put it away, Stop and get it out. state after state.

All depends on the state you are driving through, laws vary by state so make sure you do your homework before traveling. There's a book that covers the basic firearms laws for traveling called: "The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" that is good if you do alot of traveling. You can get it at just about any book store.

Nope, a federal permit will never happen...unless you are law enforcement. :(

August 8, 2008, 09:22 PM
What do you do driving though the states that do not take my CCW permit

I avoid trevelling through states that do not have reciprocity with my state's CHL permit. I also have a NH non-resident permit which extends the reciprocity to additional states. If you check the website referenced in the reply above, you will find which additional state's CHL/CCW permits are recognized in your state or the states in wich you may be travelling.

Hint--Florida, Utah and New Hampshire non-resident CHL permits seem to provide a lot of bang for the buck...

August 8, 2008, 09:31 PM
Checking reciprocity for your carry permit is one thing, but often states will have a traveler's exception for carry inside a vehicle. It usually applies only if you are a specified distance from home. Once again, you have to check state by state. Also some states, like Louisiana, allow anyone who can legally possess a handgun to carry it loaded in the glove compartment of the car as it is considered an extension of the home (never really understood the rationale, but it is good for CCW'ers.)

August 8, 2008, 10:03 PM
If you have a non-res permit in CO. is that good in any state that takes the CO. permit. And how do you get a non- res permit.

August 8, 2008, 10:23 PM
i think you pretty much have to just apply for them. one of my good friends has a florida non resident and a virginia non resident and he can carry in about 40 states. Unfortunatly for him the state he lives in, good old maryland, he cant carry becuase its damn near impossible to get a ccw in maryland

Frank Ettin
August 8, 2008, 10:41 PM
If you travel by car from state to state, it would probably be a good idea to get both a Utah and Florida non-resident permit, in addition to any permit you can get in your home state. They're relatively easy to get by mail. For Utah, you must have sign off by a Utah approved instructor, but there are Utah approved instructor in many states (http://des.utah.gov/bci/docs/instructors_outofstate.pdf ). For Florida, you must be fingerprinted by a law enforcement agency, but you can show firearm competence a number of ways.

August 8, 2008, 11:24 PM
You have all been very helpfull, thank you so very much. I will work on getting my non-res permits to cover the black outs. Just look at what we good people must do to carry by the law,when the BG just does what ever he wants when he wants. Why don't someone just outlaw holding people up and killing. My having my gun may not keep me save, but I will not go without a fight if I have no other way out.